Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Lakland - wow!

tredders

Just picked up a Skyline Bob Glaub as part of a trade, and I have to say that I'm blown away with it. Quality seems excellent, and it sounds just like a P bass should.

I read somewhere that Lakland copied Bob Glaub's '64 p bass, and it certainly feels as though they've built a high quality 'vintage' bass, using modern technology. Lovely thin and fast neck, too. Well chuffed, and that's coming from a big Fender fan!

Next question would be, how much better would a US BG be?!?

Mark.

I wish id sampled one of these good Laklands :)

So far ive tried 3 brand new Darryl Jones basses, and they all had really bad QC for the price. Not only that, the last one I had a refund on has now turned up in another store...(I recognised the poor pickguard cutout and the paint blemish....and yep same serial number...except now £1200!!!!).

I really REALLY want to find a good one. I was highly miffed when I tried 3 and got nowhere.

I think im going to wait to see what happens over the next year with Lakland.

With the US models the law of diminishing returns plays a big effect. The biggest difference is that a US BG will have graphite inserts in the neck - so added stiffness will be the upshot - you may expect a little bit more definition to notes - in particular above the 12th fret on the E and A strings. I had a US BG for a while and certainly noted that . The quality of woods used will be higher. A nice touch is maple dots for the rosewood necks and ebony dots for the maple necks.

Other than that you are paying for body/headstock colours that do not come on the standard Skyline instruments. Pickups/electronics are the same (Lindy Fralin) although I dare say you could spec in Laklands own pickups at added cost if you wanted them.

I believe a bit more attention to detail is put in to constructing the instrument and the set up as well.

My current Skyline Duck Dunn is heavier than my old DJ5 but a bit lighter than my old DD IIR.
All have been heavier than any Fenders ive owned. For me its not really a big deal. The heavier they are the more i think i got my moneys worth lol.

Love the necks, love the tone (mostly ;-), love the finish (unless it Sunburst), not too keen on the bridges but thats just because i like straight lines, they work perfectly well.

I would never get a USA Lakland due to their high price, i just dont see the need but they do look fantastic in all the colour/finish options etc.

Edited by dave_bass5

I've had a couple of Lakky Skylines, a BG (Modded) and a DJ5.

I bought both 2nd hand (tho the DJ5 was unused) and got them significantly lower priced than 'shop'. TBH, they both felt reasonably made and sounded well, but there is no way that I would've paid the shop price - they were IMHO not in the same league (build and finish wise) as MM or Sandberg which could be had at those prices.

Weight wise I've found the Skylines very inconsistent. Both of mine were pretty heavy (especially the BG - 10lb) but I've noticed some nice light examples (a particularly fine JO4 in Electro was less than 8lbs and sounded very nice).