Why become a member? ×

maple vs rosewood what's your choice?

hagguy

I`ve always been a rosewood guy, but have recently found myself liking maple.

At home, my go to bass is maple, but for my band, my go to bass is rosewood, as I find it deeper, which suits my my role in the band, just keeping the bottom end powerfully together. I think if I were in a band where the bass played a more melodic part, eg basslines like The Jam, maple would be my choice. It just seems to have a "zing" to the upper mids that doesn`t seem to be present on rosewood, making it better for the melodic playing.

99% rosewood for me.

After trying various Fender's with a maple board, I found them not to be how I prefer. I grew up using rosewood boards, and I guess Ive got used to the feel of them, and the aesthetics.

I do like a maple board on a Ray, but still, rosewood just edges it.

I need to try and ebony board at some point.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='759785' date='Feb 28 2010, 03:29 PM']In purely practical terms, I have found it far easier to see the position dots on a darkened stage on a maple board than a rosewood one.[/quote]

That depends on the colour of the dots :)

Thanks for that, Gibson - now where's my black marker pen? :lol:

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='757169' date='Feb 25 2010, 04:27 PM']I like the look of Pau Ferro but to answer the question it's maple for me :)[/quote]

Pau Ferro is a Rosewood.

But, in general, find it has more to do with how the wood has been treated, oriented, applied, and finished, than what the wood species is.

Edited by noelk27