Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

Finished build 1/5

Pedal PCB…er PCB clone of the Fairfield barbershop in a 1590b

the barbershop is fairly picky about the ldss of the Jfets - the SMD jfets weren’t too hard, getting a batch and measuring the ldss of them all was! 

The decal was a pain, it ended up as a metallic sticker - Some of the other pedals I’ve been building I’ve spent a bit of time on the graphics - by the time I got to this I kinda wanted something stupid. A talent pedal would have been ideal but I couldn’t think up cool visuals … so we ended up with a homage to the best carbonated soft drink around.

the labels were a bit high up, and the knobs aren’t deep enough but it works. Adjust sugar and caffeine to taste…

1481907D-8346-447E-96D5-2C0D5E5D4BA2.jpeg

F74AFF8C-3EEE-4352-848C-5F146D5A67A9.jpeg

4E1ABEB3-E18F-4082-A88F-CCAB79B93563.jpeg

• Like 7

On 08/02/2023 at 12:00, bloke_zero said:

Being able to blend the 2 channels with full control over the relative volumes makes this one of the most successful dirt machines I've heard for bass. Amazing on synth as well - to be able to EQ each channel and then blend to taste: 1 saturated and round, one edgy and distorted - mmm, makes me want to get up and go to the studio right now!

I created two different versions of the pcb. Version 1 is only a single channel-version, version 2 is a dual channel-version.

How important is the limiter? Should both channels be switchable?

On 11/02/2023 at 17:21, disssa said:

I created two different versions of the pcb. Version 1 is only a single channel-version, version 2 is a dual channel-version.

How important is the limiter? Should both channels be switchable?

The Suncoast version had a switch for selecting between the two channels, and then a separate switch for combining them (plus another for bypass of course).
Seems like a nice setup?!

Si

I’m not sure if this is the right place for this particular query but I’m looking to make a couple of madbean’s afterlife compressor - one for me and one for a friend. 

Thing is I want to do it on stripboard with a layout that I’m going to put together from the schematic on the madbean website. It’s the first time I’ve ever done this and was wondering if anyone would be willing to double check my work to see if…

a. It makes sense and will work

b. if there’s a better way of laying the components out 

I’ve built a fair few pedal kits with bought pcbs but have never laid anything out on stripboard before. I’m using DIY Layout Creator to draw the layout and was going to post here if that’s ok?

Edited by Bassybert

34 minutes ago, Bassybert said:

I’m not sure if this is the right place for this particular query but I’m looking to make a couple of madbean’s afterlife compressor - one for me and one for a friend. 

Thing is I want to do it on stripboard with a layout that I’m going to put together from the schematic on the madbean website. It’s the first time I’ve ever done this and was wondering if anyone would be willing to double check my work to see if…

I’ve built a fair few pedal kits with bought pcbs but have never laid anything out on stripboard before. I’m using DIY Layout Creator to draw the layout and was going to post here if that’s ok?

Just out of curiosity, why are you looking to do a stripboard build as opposed to buy a PCB?

Si

• Like 1

Someone's already done it for you. https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/02/john-hollis-flatline-compressor.html

15 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Just out of curiosity, why are you looking to do a stripboard build as opposed to buy a PCB?

Si

Because I want to get more into understanding how it all works and I have half a dozen stripboards sat around. 

15 minutes ago, tauzero said:

It’s based on the Hollis pedal but there are a few differences with the afterlife. I have seen that layout but I m trying not to look at that for the first reason in my reply above, I want to understand more about how things work and why. 

• Like 1

It’s based on the Hollis pedal but there are a few differences with the afterlife. I have seen that layout but I m trying not to look at that for the first reason in my reply above, I want to understand more about how things work and why. 

To be fair starting with that layout and tracing it to work out the differences would be a good way to learn 

Help. Has anybody here built a Vong?

I ask because I have one, pre-built by a guy in Germany, but it's arrived with a problem... the power input doesn't line up properly with the hole in the enclosure, so the jack only goes in part-way, making it unreliable. 

I don't really want to send this back, unfortunately, because of The Situation That Dare Not Speak Its Name. 

My soldering's fairly (very) crap -  though I've done some basic guitar electronic fixes, I've never built a pedal. 

I've been looking at the Schalltechnik instructions and trying to work out whether I should try to realign the board, the pots and everything, or whether I'm better off taking the guts out and just filing the hole into an ugly oval.

Pic with input/output mounting hardware removed to show how the power input doesn't line up but the jacks do... well, sort of. 

Any advice much appreciated...

6290460C-3371-4933-A39C-421FC741538D.jpeg

4 minutes ago, KK Jale said:

I ask because I have one, pre-built by a guy in Germany, but it's arrived with a problem... the power input doesn't line up properly with the hole in the enclosure, so the jack only goes in part-way, making it unreliable. 

I don't really want to send this back, unfortunately, because of The Situation That Dare Not Speak Its Name. 

My soldering's fairly (very) crap -  though I've done some basic guitar electronic fixes, I've never built a pedal. 

I've been looking at the Schalltechnik instructions and trying to work out whether I should try to realign the board, the pots and everything, or whether I'm better off taking the guts out and just filing the hole into an ugly oval.

Pic with input/output mounting hardware removed to show how the power input doesn't line up but the jacks do... well, sort of. 

I built one a month or so ago…

are the nuts on the pots tight?

If not tighten them.

if they are take the back off loosen them all so the board is loose, then put the Jack nuts on and tighten them up in a way that positions the power Jack in the right place. Then screw the pots in again 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, KK Jale said:

I imagine that this was caused by just soldering the sockets onto the board and then putting the board into the box. I would suggest desoldering the three sockets, soldering just one pin of each into place, putting the board into position and lining up the sockets properly, then soldering them, if necessary desoldering the one soldered pin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

if they are take the back off loosen them all so the board is loose, then put the Jack nuts on and tighten them up in a way that positions the power Jack in the right place. Then screw the pots in again 

There was juuuust enough room to make this work. Easy peasy. Marvellous. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Finished build 3/5

pedal pcb “low tide” version of Fairfield shallow water - quite subtle effect and input gain sensitive - still need to explore a lot 

3BB48945-2CF3-423B-8A97-55F8AEBC9DB9.jpeg Also the beach my now wife and I went on our first date …

Edited by LukeFRC
  • Like 3