Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

Hi

just finished my first project: fuzz factory, from musikding.de, where i bought the kit. It was my first attempt on something like that and I must say I'm very pleased with the result. Camera got nicked so no pics yet. What surprised me was that drilling the enclosure cost me about as much effort as soldering the circuit board. Fun pedal, but works best for higher freqs though I find - my mates electric fiddle was awesome with it. I wonder if there is a bass-equivalent, or a mod?

classic diy pedal - well done on the first build.
You'll get plenty of steers from the guys at diystompbox.com when it comes to modding for bass use. Most will involve simle swapping out of a couple of components on the input/output side, maybe a cap or resistor value. I don't know enough about the FF circuit to advise specifics having spent most of my time modding tubescreamers but i imagine the principles are pretty similar. larger value input caps allow more of the bass through to extend the distortion into the lower frequesncies, but you have to be careful you don't end up with a lot of mush.

[quote name='janmaat' post='945315' date='Sep 4 2010, 11:47 AM']Hi

just finished my first project: fuzz factory, from musikding.de, where i bought the kit. It was my first attempt on something like that and I must say I'm very pleased with the result. Camera got nicked so no pics yet. What surprised me was that drilling the enclosure cost me about as much effort as soldering the circuit board. Fun pedal, but works best for higher freqs though I find - my mates electric fiddle was awesome with it. I wonder if there is a bass-equivalent, or a mod?[/quote]

To get more lower end I changed the electrolytic cap nearest the input to 22uf and the one nearest the output to 47uf like shown in the diagram above. I'd love to heard a fuzz factory on a fiddle I don't know anyone who has one though.

• 2 months later...

Took me a while to finish this one but here is the final result.
We have a shocking gutshot of the soft underbelly revealing just how disorganised my wiring is. The Mosfet boost circuit vero can be seen peeking out on the left of the tubescreamer board.
The tubescreamer has the 1meg gain pot that the Keeley mod uses, to extend range of available overdrive. We have selectable toggle switches for 2 different diode clipping stages - standard Si or LED which gives a louder harsher distortion. We have a toggle switch for the AMZ 'Phat Boost' mod which switches in a larger value input cap to allow big fat slugs of bass through, this makes the pedal suitable for use as a bass guitar overdrive/distortion too. The 2 toggle switches each have a red/yellow bicolor LEd to show the status.
Mosfet boost switches in an extra 10 or 12db of boost after the tubescreamer to act as a solo boost and really crank up the input of a valve preamp. All in all a fiddly build but a pleasing end result.

Nice build Al, Tubescreamer + booster is a good combo for a dual pedal I think. Looks awesome too.

Here's one of the last things I built, it's a ring modulator and pulse width modulator pedal in one enclosure made mostly from spare bits for my friend:

Here's a quick video of it as well: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKy1FM6i1Nk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKy1FM6i1Nk[/url]

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='1038607' date='Nov 27 2010, 10:01 AM']Outrageous! Is that an acoustic guitar you're feeding in to the distortion?
Does your mum nag you about tidying your bedroom? :)[/quote]

Yeah it's the only guitar I've got at the moment, it feedbacks like a beast a lot of the time when testing pedals which is a pain. I'm living away for uni at the moment so she doesn't see my room despite it being constantly tidy, but when living at home (in my orange room that you can see in my above pictures) I'm constantly told to tidy it :)

Edited by badgerific

[quote name='son of frog' post='1041707' date='Nov 29 2010, 10:07 PM']Does anyone know where i can find the parts and Circuit diagrams to build These pedals?

- Volume / Mute Pedal
- Tremelo Pedal, with adjustable rate & depth

PM me if possible but you can also post it on here, since it would be useful for others.

This would be really helpful,
cheers[/quote]

a volume/ mute pedal is very easy, just a switch open or shut for mute or going into a variable resistor for volume
look at freestompboxes for a tremelo, which will be just a bit harder!

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1041784' date='Nov 29 2010, 10:55 PM']a volume/ mute pedal is very easy, just a switch open or shut for mute or going into a variable resistor for volume
look at freestompboxes for a tremelo, which will be just a bit harder![/quote]

Cheers for the help, i've found a website (general guitar gadgets) which sells kits, Does anyone know where i can get my Photoshop sticker creations printed with a glossy surface like on real effects pedals? Or if possible printing paper that is glossy, but with the self adhesive removable back?

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Johnston' post='1089629' date='Jan 14 2011, 06:18 PM']I bought a book many moons ago "Electronic Projects for Guitar"[/quote]

Is it an RA Penfold (or someone like that) book?
About £4 when it was printed?

I had about 5 of his audio project books, never made anything from them though.

I've built a few bits & pieces... next projects are an MXR Phase 45 clone with Univibe mods, and a Rat clone with every tweak & mod under the sun :)
I recommend [url="http://www.rapidonline.com/"]these guys[/url] for your bits and pieces, I buy all my stuff from them.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1089914' date='Jan 14 2011, 10:02 PM']Yeah I thought that, they have been pretty useless anytime I've went. Now the internet has been invented and the book has resurfaced after a read out I might actually be able to get the stuff :) :) Any of the electronics places I tried back in the day looked at me like I was a spotty kid smokin' something !![/quote]

+1 Maplins are utter sh*te IMHO.
In addition to Rich's recommendation, Bitsbox are also good.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='fatgoogle' post='1119052' date='Feb 7 2011, 05:28 PM']Does anyone by any chance have a layout for a woolly mammoth at all?[/quote]

There's info and a kit available here:
[url="http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Sabertooth/docs/Sabertooth_ver.4.pdf"]http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Sabe...tooth_ver.4.pdf[/url]

[quote name='dougie' post='1121348' date='Feb 9 2011, 01:33 PM']What rating is your soldering iron?[/quote]

It was a gas job from Maplins - I left it on for about 5 minutes and the plastic housing melted. Bastard cost about £40 too!

Dan

PS [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/solderpro-70-gas-soldering-iron-kit-34959"]THIS ONE[/url]

Edited by DanOwens

[quote name='DanOwens' post='1121545' date='Feb 9 2011, 04:42 PM']It was a gas job from Maplins - I left it on for about 5 minutes and the plastic housing melted. Bastard cost about £40 too!

Dan

PS [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/solderpro-70-gas-soldering-iron-kit-34959"]THIS ONE[/url][/quote]

Get yourself a decent Weller soldering iron, not too high wattage, 15-25w is OK, and if you can find it, the proper lead solder.

Edited by nick