Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

[quote name='badgerific' post='896106' date='Jul 15 2010, 11:13 PM']I believe increasing the value of the input and output caps will increase the low end. I might be wrong though, I'm still a noob at this stuff.[/quote]

That only works on some circuits, other circuits sometimes need additional cap values changed. There is no real set way, without knowing the particular circuit, although increasing the value of the DC blocking caps is generally a good place to start (these would be like what you'd call the input and output caps, although they can be between gain stages as well).

increase in value of input cap (and output cap) certainly works on the Tubescreamer circuit and the fuzz Factory, but according to the gurus you should be using different value resistors as well as the 2 always interact together re hi-passa/low-pass filter operation.

i get a lot of components from Bobs Bitsbox - he has online & ebay shop. Lots of other uk-based ebay shop outlets for all u need as well. Just search in ebay for 100nf capacitor.
Enclosure is std maplins cast aluminium 60mm by 110mm and about 40mm deep. The vero circuit posted earlier on here already has changed i & o caps for deeper freq response.

m,Which one did you use

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='864860' date='Jun 12 2010, 12:59 AM']
[url="http://madbeanpedals.com/projects/Zombii/docs/Zombii_ver4.pdf"]here[/url].[/quote]

or

[quote name='badgerific' post='880661' date='Jun 29 2010, 09:32 AM'][/quote]

[quote name='fatgoogle' post='896990' date='Jul 16 2010, 11:40 PM']Really stupid question but i just thought of it. How do you ground pedals?[/quote]

They are grounded to your amp via the output jack.

A

[quote name='umph' post='896804' date='Jul 16 2010, 07:50 PM']just noticed the demijon, good man. What you got on the go?[/quote]

Just some red grape wine, should be ready to drink now I'm just too lazy to bottle it. I've only made wine from pineapple juice so far which was pretty gross. I want to give beer brewing a go sometime because beer is generally tastier than wine to me.

On topic: My orange distortion kit came today got some nice jade green spray paint for it, should be done tomorrow so I shall post some pics.

[quote name='badgerific' post='897627' date='Jul 17 2010, 09:27 PM']Just some red grape wine, should be ready to drink now I'm just too lazy to bottle it. I've only made wine from pineapple juice so far which was pretty gross. I want to give beer brewing a go sometime because beer is generally tastier than wine to me.

On topic: My orange distortion kit came today got some nice jade green spray paint for it, should be done tomorrow so I shall post some pics.[/quote]
would recomend doing your own cider, beers good to though just normally ends up being a bit of a session brew.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my Small Clone chorus finished and running - big thanks to a good friend Keith who is an electronics guru with far more knowledge and patience than me, he spotted my 3 deliberate mistakes in the PCB construction and put them right for me.
This is a Small Clone Chorus built on a Tonepad.com pcb, with the following mods:
1) 'Heartbeat' LED which pulses in time to the rate setting, instead of a simple on-off LED indicator
2) Depth pot instead of the standard depth switch
3) 4-pos rotary knob which I called 'Voice', switches in 1 of 4 different cap values to allow settings to go from mellow and gentle to full and hyper swirly.
Cap values used are 47pF, 100pF, 180pF and 320pF - the stock cap setting is 100 or 150pF.
After a very frustrating time trying to get this to work I am so pleased with it now, a super rich and lush chorus which can give a big palette of tones, from a slow almost flange-like moulation, through mellow or super rich chorus into mad Lesley-like oscillations.
Very pleased - definitely a keeper, a complex build for me but well worth it in the end.
Small demo here:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odOiXYqUBaU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odOiXYqUBaU[/url]

Edited by Al Heeley

[quote name='fatgoogle' post='913974' date='Aug 3 2010, 03:35 PM']Just wondering what D2 is between C5 and R7?[/quote]

There aren't any diodes in a fuzz face circuit so you could just leave it out and it wouldn't affect the sound.

But, I'm pretty sure it's in there for polarity protection. So if you're wiring it up with a DC jack as well as a battery, I'd use a 1N4001 :)

For what it's worth, the Zvex made Fuzz Factories don't have polarity protection.

• 5 weeks later...