Why become a member? ×

G&L SB-2

dub_junkie

2002 G&L SB-2

Alder body finished in Emerald Blue (pearlescent/sparkly) Highly figured birdseye maple neck with ebony fretboard (both custom factory upcharges and no longer available on the basses)
Everything on the bass is stock apart from tone mod. Normally these basses are Vol/Vol without any tone control.This one is Vol/Tone + 3 way p/up switch

The bass has no structural issues and is in showroom condition.It comes with the G&L hard case (some scuffs and a little pushed in on the top but is fully functioning)

As you can see from the pics,the bass was ordered from new without a string tree. It hasn't caused me any problems as it is,which is why I never bothered having one installed but it would be an
easy fix to do/have done.

Bass looks,feels,plays and sounds great. Way superior to a MIA Fender imo. I got rid of the Jazz and Precision I owned last year and kept this one as it did what they both did but better.

No longer looking for a trade on this

£650

will send by 24hr courier which will be approx £20 including insurance

pics:

Edited by dub_junkie

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='762575' date='Mar 3 2010, 08:54 AM']I'm presuming it's a Jazz nut width?[/quote]
I had the privilege of trying this exquisite bass out at the last Moffat bash. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if the neck was a tad thinner than a standard Jazz neck - think Ibanez Soundgear. It felt very delicate in my big hands (this is from a guy now used to P and MM width necks) and had that fastness I like from this sized neck - it was begging for dusty end action. I couldn't hear the sound characteristics of the bass too well as there were a few others guys plonking basses near by too but what little I did hear clearly had bite.

If I was in the market for one of these, I wouldn't hesitate.

Me and the sb-2 at Moffat

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='763815' date='Mar 4 2010, 11:56 AM']I had the privilege of trying this exquisite bass out at the last Moffat bash. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if the neck was a tad thinner than a standard Jazz neck - think Ibanez Soundgear. It felt very delicate in my big hands (this is from a guy now used to P and MM width necks) and had that fastness I like from this sized neck - it was begging for dusty end action. I couldn't hear the sound characteristics of the bass too well as there were a few others guys plonking basses near by too but what little I did hear clearly had bite.

If I was in the market for one of these, I wouldn't hesitate.

Me and the sb-2 at Moffat
[/quote]

thanks and you're right - it does have a slightly slimmer profile jazz neck. its G&L's #8 neck described as a "C" shape with 1.5 nut and 12" radius. the same neck on my L2K is a little chunkier feeling

[quote name='pieter' post='763970' date='Mar 4 2010, 02:23 PM']Good question, many G&L's are (great sounding) boat anchors - hope this one is an exeption?[/quote]

I've owned a fair few G&Ls and from my experience its only the ash ones that have been heavy. This SB-2,my old Asat bass and 2x L-2000s have all been alder bodies and fairly lightweight.
I dont have a set of scales here to weigh it but I'm going to my parents' place this evening so I'll stick it on the scales there.

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='764550' date='Mar 4 2010, 10:20 PM']John,you are more accurate with the weight.I made it a tad under 9lbs.

**And now on hold pending a fellow Ayrshire Basschatter viewing it this weekend**[/quote]

Any news on this over the weekend - I'm kinda hoping it's still available, but congrats if it's gone (to both buyer and seller!) - a lovely bass!

Ian

• 9 months later...