Why become a member? ×

Warmoth

fusionbassist1

I've been massively drawn in by [url="http://www.warmoth.com/"]Warmoth's Website [/url]recently and have been having massive GAS for buying main components such as the body and neck (routed and painted by Warmoth themselves) then completing the project over here in the UK. I was goign to get a J bass body and neck then buying hardware seperately and asking Shuker to asemble and then set-up the bass for me, prehaps getitng me some decent pups while i'm at it.

Can anyone share anything about Warmoth components, good OR bad?
Is this the best route to go if there isn't quite enough money to get a full custom bass but when u want something more than bog-standard fender?

I'm suprised there's not a Warmoth topic already, if there is (I did search the relevant forums but didn't find anything) then I'm sorry and this can be deleted. I think a wee li'l' bank of information about Warmoth's products would be very useful for BCers so please TYPE AWAY!!

Thanx a lot,

Ben.

I put together the maple-neck P-bass in my avatar from a warmoth body (hard ash) and neck (maple/maple).

loads and loads of sustain- at a recent recording session waiting for the signal leds on the desk to fade out on the last note became a running joke.

very tight neck joint.

the neck is very solid- double-action trussrod plus 2 steel stiffening rods. these do make the neck heavy though- i used Hipshot ultralite machineheads to counter neck-dive.

with their standard P and J bodies and necks you do get the standard cumbersome neck joint block- they do offer an angled joint, but it's still more awkward than the contoured heel that would be on a Shuker J.

another drawback- resale value won't be great.

Edited by SJA

The warmoth bodies and neck are good quality, my last Jazz bass had a black korina warmoth body and Status Graphite neck. With the exchange rate as good as it is, you should order the body,neck and maybe some of the hardware stuff. Ive sold the status neck but still have the J bass body, gonna get it fitted to a mighty mite maple neck soon.

Enjoy the build,

Cheers,

Robbie.

Hmmm, maybe a sub-forum could be created for "Kits`n`Bits", covering component/kit builds & stuff from [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/layla_bassguitar_kit_pstyle.htm"] Thomann [/url] through to [url="http://www.warmoth.com/"] Warmoth [/url] and all stuff in between.

Mark

Edited by wmsheep

I put together a four-string of warmoth parts last year, it turned out very well. [url="http://hallgeir.no/bass/warmoth/"]You can see and hear it here[/url]. It has an ash jazz body with flame maple top, and a purpleheart neck with ziricote fingerboard. EMG pickups and Gotoh hardware. Sounds excellent and plays wonderfully, if I may say so myself.

And I have recently started a fretless four string project too, with a one-piece bubinga G4 body and bubinga neck with satine fingerboard. [url="http://hallgeir.no/bass/warmoth/fretless01/"]See photos here[/url].

So I would say Warmoth is good, very good. Not very cheap, but good.

I built a Warmoth 5 string Jazz bass in 2000. Swamp Ash body, birds eye maple neck and fretboard. Like others have mentioned, good quality, tight neck joints. The bass is just slightly neck heavy but this can be corrected with the right strap. There have been a few pickup/preamp configs but the current setup is Wizard pickups slightly over wound with an East U-Retro deluxe with passive tone control. Great solid tight sound and the B string isn't floppy.

This bass has really taken on a great sound after years of playing. It sounds more settled down now than it did a few years back if that makes any sense.

There is an [b][url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Bass/product/Warmoth/Jazz+Bass+5-String/10/1"]interesting story here[/url][/b] that might change your mind about where you buy your parts. Not saying anything either way, but there is also [b][url="http://www.usacustomguitars.com/"]USA Custom Guitars[/url][/b] as another option.

Cheers,

Can I put my 3 pennyworth in (again) and suggest that you also look at [url="http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/"]WD Music [/url] if you are after something in the more traditional fender style.

Get a copy of the catalogue as there`s more stuff in there than is on the site.

Mark

[quote name='fusionbassist1' post='83163' date='Nov 3 2007, 03:28 PM']I've been massively drawn in by [url="http://www.warmoth.com/"]Warmoth's Website [/url]recently and have been having massive GAS for buying main components such as the body and neck (routed and painted by Warmoth themselves) then completing the project over here in the UK. I was goign to get a J bass body and neck then buying hardware seperately and asking Shuker to asemble and then set-up the bass for me, prehaps getitng me some decent pups while i'm at it.

Can anyone share anything about Warmoth components, good OR bad?
Is this the best route to go if there isn't quite enough money to get a full custom bass but when u want something more than bog-standard fender?

I'm suprised there's not a Warmoth topic already, if there is (I did search the relevant forums but didn't find anything) then I'm sorry and this can be deleted. I think a wee li'l' bank of information about Warmoth's products would be very useful for BCers so please TYPE AWAY!!

Thanx a lot,

Ben.[/quote]

Warmoth have a superb reputation in the industry and you get what you pay for. I was seriously considering them for a Strat project using the best quality components as a non-Fender custom shop instrument.

The only other alternative that I would suggest is the SimS Custom Shop as they can now produce not only bodies to order but also necks as they have CNC routing capability in-house plus you can discuss with them want you want and get some good honest very experienced advice and they're in the UK. They are that good as they are now often first-call for some big names in the industry for prototype manufacture prior to scale-up for full-blown production.

Hope that helps!

Ciao!

Ian

Edited by SMART

I have 3 Warmoths, all superb. +1 on the suggestion to use lightweight tuners to compensate for the heavy (but hopefully stable) necks. My swamp ash dinky P (maple neck, hipshot through-body bridges and Seymour Duncan P and J pickups) is probably the lightest bass I've ever lifted and also the nastiest sounding - that's nasty as in NICE by the way.

• 3 weeks later...

I've always been very tempted by Warmoth products but would love to know peoples opinions/suggestions on where to find similair things in the UK (thus buying local and avoiding import charges). I'd much rather buy a nicely finished body from the UK than the US.

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking about a Warmoth Jazz neck for a project i have in the pipeline. The reason I'm thinking Warmoth over say Allparts (who have been great for me in the past), is that:
1 - They do 'fancy' woods, and i want Birdseye Maple
2 - They do smaller tuner peg hole options for tuners such as Hipshot Ultralights, which will be my tuner of choice

After some XE.com conversion, it seems i can have a Birdseye Maple Jazz neck with the small tuner hole option for £171.55 inc delivery & VAT. What kind of import duty could i expect on that?

Cheers
Si

I've just noticed that i failed to include the finish in that price lol
Another £38 for a clear satin

Taking the price to around £216 for a Birdseye Maple neck/FB with 'ultralight' peg sized holes, satin finish, delivery and VAT/duty included.

Not bad i guess considering an Allparts finished neck, standard maple or rosewood range from £163 to £226 (blocks & binding) + delivery

Si

[quote name='Hamster' post='120885' date='Jan 15 2008, 04:04 PM']For all the charges - import, VAT and handling etc, if you add 22% to the final shipped total that will give you a good idea of the in your hands cost.

Hamster[/quote]

Works out £8 more expensive then my calculations :)

Still, worth considering i reckon, for it's custom options

Si

Interesting thread as I ordered a Korina rear routed 54 P bass body yesterday with a birdseye maple jazz neck/fingerboard and routed for a P pup in the traditional position. Ordering over the phone was painless and they are very helpful.

4 to 6 weeks til it's ready. Time to decide what goes in/on it. So far I'm inclined towards the new ACG Pre amp with volume and two filter stacks, and a Wizard Thumper PUP.

Possibly Hipshot Ultralites but 1/2" ones for standard size holes and what bridge to use is still under consideration.

I intend using Danish oil on the body and the gun oil treatment on the neck. I also intend to do a good copper foil shielding job on the cavities.

So phone them as ordering on the website isn't really an options as there's too many variables.

I'l update.

Edited by GreeneKing