Why become a member? ×

Novice, Intermediate, Bloody Good or Something a Little Bit Special?

mgibson

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='751108' date='Feb 19 2010, 04:49 PM']I was saving this for later in the series, but you might be a candidate for jumping ahead to this one:

[/quote]

Oh, [i]that[/i].

tch!

That's just the bass part to John Cage's "4'33"... need to watch for the stops in measures 32 - 40 & then there's the awkward stretches in the 19/23 section before the coda. Other than that it's pretty simple stuff tbh.

If Chic and Bernie be the arbiter:

[font="Arial Black"]Novice: Upside Down,
Sportsman: I want your love, We Are family
Clubman: Le Freak, He's the Greatest dancer
Expert/Championship: Dance Dance Dance![/font]

or Duran Duran JT then

[font="Arial Black"]Novice: Planet Earth, Is there something I should Know
Sportsman: Save a Prayer, The Reflex
Clubman: New Religion Girls on film
Expert: Rio[/font]
remember....I should be the junior novice section so I have low stds that I fail to live up to!

Edited by iconic

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='751106' date='Feb 19 2010, 04:49 PM']:)

I miss him, lets get him back![/quote]

[i]"The BC moderation team are issuing you with an official warning. Failure to change your behaviour will result in a permanent ban and MythSte keeping your warwick. Thank you for your cooperation" [/i]

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='751117' date='Feb 19 2010, 05:00 PM']Oh, [i]that[/i].

tch!

That's just the bass part to John Cage's "4'33"... need to watch for the stops in measures 32 - 40 & then there's the awkward stretches in the 19/23 section before the coda. Other than that it's pretty simple stuff tbh.[/quote]
someones' been to school...and paid attention.
whats that note..?...."h"? "m"?,( seen a rest before but..err)
I haven't got one on my guitar :)

Edited by witterth

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='750819' date='Feb 19 2010, 12:58 PM']I present the first in my series of studies designed for the Pre-Novice. This is called "Étude in E":

[/quote]

Ha - you may speak in jest, but when starting to play bowed double bass, that is one of the exercises, and you can spend weeks, months or even years trying to make it sound good.

Then you have to move on to the open A string.

Jennifer

[quote name='endorka' post='751901' date='Feb 20 2010, 04:24 PM']Ha - you may speak in jest, but when starting to play bowed double bass, that is one of the exercises, and you can spend weeks, months or even years trying to make it sound good.

Then you have to move on to the open A string.[/quote]
Oh, yes. Tell me about it. I speak as an ex-violinist. And an ex-euphoniumist. I never reached the point on either where I would've been happy with my performance of said Étude. :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='750819' date='Feb 19 2010, 12:58 PM'][/quote]

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='751108' date='Feb 19 2010, 04:49 PM'][/quote]

The funny thing is,there are people who don't know what these mean.

The problem with using songs to attain skill level is a song that someone thinks
is really hard,someone else may think it's simple. For example,Iconic mentioned 'Rio'
as expert level,yet I learnt it in about 10 minutes. I'm sure there are lines that people can
play with ease,that I'd have to spend a bit of time with.
Also,what is more skilled-practicing until you are able to play 'Teen Town',or
sight reading 'I want you back'?
Using a song to determine ability just doesn't work.

[quote name='Doddy' post='751908' date='Feb 20 2010, 04:35 PM']Using a song to determine ability just doesn't work.[/quote]
True, when comparing one player to another. However, I know I've progressed when I come back to something I couldn't play for love nor money 6 months ago... and it's suddenly easy. That's when I find it a useful measure.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='751910' date='Feb 20 2010, 04:38 PM']True, when comparing one player to another. However, I know I've progressed when I come back to something I couldn't play for love nor money 6 months ago... and it's suddenly easy. That's when I find it a useful measure.[/quote]

I'm with you on that point-it can help you see your own progression. But the opening poster
was asking if a certain song could determine your skill level,and I don't think it can.