Why become a member? ×

Rosewood or Maple Fingerboard???

area_bass

Hello!!

I'm new here so hello to everyone!

I'm in a local band and we are starting to get going on the local scene, enjoying it to the max at the moment. We have been approached by a producer from London and things are looking good. Now reality has hit and i'm thinking my Squire Bronco isn't fulfilling my needs, and also looks and sounds a bit amature (even tho I love playing it).

I'm thinking a Fender Precision is my next stop. I have seen a sick arctic white precision for a reasonable price. It comes either with a Rosewood fingerboard or a Maple fingerboard, and at the same price it leaves me quite baffled.

So my question is, What is the difference in sound between the two fingerboards?
Keep in mind I am in an indie band with some strong bass riffs.

Mark.

[attachment=42969:t_00064757.jpg] [attachment=42970:images.jpg]

[quote name='yorick' post='749896' date='Feb 18 2010, 03:56 PM']From what i remember, rosewood gives a slightly warmer/mellow sound, and maple is a bit punchier/toppier.[/quote]

I thought that but I'm not sure if it's real or not :) It's more true when they're not plugged in I think. When they are though, I find it hard to tell the difference.

More about how they look and feel. I like a no-nonsense maple on a P and rosewood on Jazzes.

Edited by bigjohn

[quote name='yorick' post='749896' date='Feb 18 2010, 03:56 PM']From what i remember, rosewood gives a slightly warmer/mellow sound, and maple is a bit punchier/toppier.[/quote]

Apparently......

To be honest,in a live situation you won't hear any major difference,if any. I'd go for the
one you prefer aesthetically.

Having said that,try them both-you may prefer one to the other.

I have had numerous rosewood & maple board basses & feel it makes knob-all tangible difference to tone. They do feel a bit different because a maple board is lacquered whereas a rosewood board is bare wood (unless it's a Rickenbacker) and generally has coarser grain, which you may be aware of when playing.

I personally prefer maple, but that's because of the appearance. rather than anything else. Easier to clean, too.

Jon.

Yeah, it matters more on guitars because of the wimpy higher frequencies.

However, when you are making an earthquake, it don't mean sh*t what that earth is made of. Well that's how I see it chaps :)

Get what you like looking at, and get quality.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='area_bass' post='750014' date='Feb 18 2010, 05:46 PM']Thanks for the replies guys.

I think it's going to have to be the Maple, got a nice light feel about it. Super excited now, just have to wait for pay day![/quote]
That's what I'd go for too. The only thing nicer is a rosewood block and bound.

[quote name='area_bass' post='750014' date='Feb 18 2010, 05:46 PM']Thanks for the replies guys.

I think it's going to have to be the Maple, got a nice light feel about it. Super excited now, just have to wait for pay day![/quote]

You made the right choice, right there. :)

J.

My '51 P ri MIJ is one piece maple neck & it's very smooth to play & the shiny finish is great, very different to the graininess of rosewood.
I'd say maple is generally speaking nicer than rosewood at the lower end of the market, there's some rough old dried out bits of rose about. Up market - birds eye maple can be - to die for!

Have a good look at what you want to buy, check it against a few if you can & pick one you like, you'll be happy :rolleyes: :)

Not as simple as a maple neck sounds like this and a RW sounds like that...IME..

My maple sounds huge and the RW has the more defined toppier subtle tone, which isn't the way round I would think it would be if you
subscribe to maple =bright, RW is darker decree.

So... spot a bass you like and then buy if if you like the sound..

I believe you want very good tone as soon as you plug it in..and then as you get used to it, you'll make it sound better...
If it sounds average, then you are playing catch-up straight away, IMV..

Other variables includes pups, active pre's, etc but whatever it has, start with the premise that it sounds good....