Why become a member? ×

Rack Mounted Tuners

Rosh

Hello, I'm new to this place and I have to say it's fantastic!

I just wondered if you guys could give me some reccomendations on rack mounted tuners? What to avoid etc?!

I've been using a pedal upto now but want to tidy up and bit and have it with my head on a rack/flight case!

Cheers in advance!

[quote name='M4L666' post='746914' date='Feb 16 2010, 09:49 AM']Only Behringer amps/effects are bad, their pro-audio stuff is actually pretty good.[/quote]

I've use some of their stuff before (pro-audio wise) and it seems quite good, their mics too -- What's wrong with their tuners? :)

[quote name='51m0n' post='747131' date='Feb 16 2010, 12:40 PM']They are slower than the Korg DTR.

Some would say unusably so.[/quote]

[quote name='Dubs' post='747150' date='Feb 16 2010, 12:51 PM']Also tend not to be that accurate with the lower frequencies...[/quote]

So basically unusable for live situations with a bass? Which is what I'll be using it for :)

What is the difference, then between the Korg DTR 1000 and 2000?

[quote name='Rosh' post='747163' date='Feb 16 2010, 12:59 PM']So basically unusable for live situations with a bass? Which is what I'll be using it for :)

What is the difference, then between the Korg DTR 1000 and 2000?[/quote]

The 2000 has more inputs, can run off a mic, calibrate to your input signal and some other bits and bobs.

Go to the Korg site and download the manual, its the same for both units, so you canreally see the differences.

Oh and the 2000 has a built in racklight, with which you can impress chicks, win friends, influence people, and end world poverty - at least thats what mine said....

Guest johnzgerman

[quote name='M4L666' post='746914' date='Feb 16 2010, 09:49 AM']Only Behringer amps/effects are bad, their pro-audio stuff is actually pretty good.[/quote]

any manufacturer that feels they must write PRO on all of their 'PRO AUDIO GEAR' eg. 'behringer composer pro' or 'ultragraph FBQ pro', is almost certainly not manufacturing 'PRO AUDIO GEAR'. IME the only reliable peice of kit that behringer make and actually does what it is supposed to is their cable tester.

[quote name='51m0n' post='747247' date='Feb 16 2010, 02:09 PM']Oh and the 2000 has a built in racklight, with which you can impress chicks, win friends, influence people, and end world poverty - at least thats what mine said....[/quote]

I use a DTR-2000 and I've certainly experienced all of these :)

The Behringer rack tuner seems to be getting a bit of a knocking [b]but [/b]I've got one and the simple secret to getting it to work reliably on bass is to roll the bass tone/treble knob right off while tuning to give it a strong fundamental to tune off. Tone up=ages to register on the E, Tone down=very little delay, [i]even for the low B on my 5 string[/i]. Seems like it doesn't like harmonic overtones, that's all.

Now you might say that rolling the highs off shouldn't be necessary to get a tuner to work, and you'd be right in the case of expensive rack tuners...except the Behringer is so cheap that a microsecond spent twisting one knob seems a fair exchange for what is otherwise a very cheap and well featured rack tuner.

I've no t owned any other Behringer gear so I can only pass on my honest experience of the tuner, which has been a good experience for the price. I'd say buy one and if even rolling the tone off doesn't work for you you should be able to get a full refund under the sale of goods act if it truly isn't fit for purpose.

[quote name='51m0n' post='747247' date='Feb 16 2010, 02:09 PM']The 2000 has more inputs, can run off a mic, calibrate to your input signal and some other bits and bobs.

Go to the Korg site and download the manual, its the same for both units, so you canreally see the differences.

Oh and the 2000 has a built in racklight, with which you can impress chicks, win friends, influence people, and end world poverty - at least thats what mine said....[/quote]
Been using the same korg 1000 rack mounted for nigh on ten years quick enough for me, accurate enough for me never missed a beat

[quote name='51m0n' post='747247' date='Feb 16 2010, 02:09 PM']The 2000 has more inputs, can run off a mic, calibrate to your input signal and some other bits and bobs.

Oh and the 2000 has a built in racklight, with which you can impress chicks, win friends, influence people, and end world poverty - at least thats what mine said....[/quote]

I'll take a look now, thanks! I'm just after a reliable bass tuner I don't need flashy extra lights to call in a mothership!

[quote name='civictiger' post='747613' date='Feb 16 2010, 06:57 PM']the 'ultrabass' option on the head is a bit OTT but i think thats just to impress people tbh hehe.[/quote]

Is that the same as "insane" on my Line6 Spider amp? No point whatsoever -- just sounds crazy!

[quote name='Rosh' post='747650' date='Feb 16 2010, 07:16 PM']I'll take a look now, thanks! I'm just after a reliable bass tuner I don't need flashy extra lights to call in a mothership![/quote]

I have a Korg rackmount tuner which will be available for sale in a week or two... it's the reliable one without the bells and whistles! :)

I'm using a DTR-1000. Not really had a chance to use it yet, seems good though. Although today it was giving me a bit of grief over my B string, but it was while I was setting up my bass so it was probably all over the place anyway.

Remember if you're using a tuner and a 2u head, you should get a 4u rack case so there's room for the head to vent.