Why become a member? ×

Advice on modifying / upgrading my Squier 'P'

Spider-dan

Dear Basschatters,

I have a Squier 'P' I've long thought about upgrading. It's about 15 years old a bit battered and the pots crackle when I turn them, so I think now I should put my money where my mouth is and overhaul the old bird.

I'm keeping the neck (rosewood) and body (black) and I've sourced a black scratchplate.

I just need an idea when it comes to bridges and pickups. A fellow bass player has recommended I use a GOTOH bridge but I know nothing of these or any other bridges.

On Pick ups - I've been pointed to the Seymour Duncan Spb-3 (quarter pounder) for a solid rock pick up - any others I should be aware of?

I don't want to go ahead without considering the options.. .

Any advice would be great. .

Cheers

Dan.

Edited by Spider-dan

I fitted a Badass 2 to my my Squier Jazz and a set of Wizard pickups.

Both upgrades were well worth the money. The bridge was a direct replacement, no routing and all existing screw holes lined up. I don't know if that can be said for the Gotoh, but I'm sure someone else will be along to tell you.
The pickup wasn't so easy, but that was down to my lack of experience with a soldering iron. Once I had practised a bit and got some advice on this forum, all was fine.

Andy at Wizard is very helpful and patient. They have a website, but I don't know how to the do the link thing, sorry.

Gary

I had my bass overhauled a little while ago thought i might need new pots and all sort 25 quid later i got my bass back no crackles and nothing changed just a bit of cleaning here and there in the electrics dept.

as far as the pick ups are conserned i use seymour duncuns but i used the hot pick ups and my god the difference it made im very very happy with the result as not only did it completely change the sound to some so much nicer i got a good price on them too i would recomend these pick ups to anyone with the same bass as we have.

although i would love to change my neck for a maple one as i have a classic cream one with a white scratch plate and i think that would finish her off quite nicely.

Markus

I also did similar upgrades to a Squier P:

solid shaft CTS pots
Sprague orange drop capacitor
Seymour Duncan quarter pounder
New pickguard (get the drill out, you will have to fill and redo some of those holes)
Reamed out the tuner holes and fitted full size open gear tuners
"Big F" Fender neckplate
Chrome set screw fitting barrel knobs
Comedy "Fecker Imprecison" headstock logo

It was a lot of fun and turned an adequate bass into a good bass imho.

Badass, Gotoh, Schaller or Hipshot. All excellent choices. SD or Bartolini pickups again great US gear, but also consider a Wizard as about the same money but custom made.....

Buy decent pots and wire from a repuatble bits seller as there is little between the makes.

Make sure wood work is sound, frets are level and nut is spot on, also consider upgrading tuners too, but otherwise you are barking up the right tree...... :)

See if theres owt on here that'll help ya.....

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=18771&hl=highway"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...&hl=highway[/url]

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='746148' date='Feb 15 2010, 05:31 PM']Gotoh Bridge and 1/4lbers is probably the best copst effective thing you can do. New pots would be good too, seem to be a weak point, depending on how much you use them.

Happy with how well it stays in tune?[/quote]

V Happy. . . it stays in tune very well it's just lacking in the performance dept, suffering from it's age I think. . .

I've ordered the GOTOH bridge and new wiring. Just the pickup to be sourced now. . . .

The Schaller 3D bridge fits the existing holes and has the added advantage of being able to experiment with string spacings. So far as pickups go

[size=7]DI MARZIO!!!!!!!![/size]

Tuning machines are often worth replacing for lightness and tuning stability - Hipshot ultralite half inch cloverleaf just need one additional hole drilled and are a good way of lightening a neck heavy bass.

Edited by henry norton

So. . . . I've ordered.

GOTOH bridge in black

Fender Precision wiring kit with new pots

Black Scratchplate

Seymour Duncan Quarter pounder SPB-3 pickup

Roto 45 - 100 strings

Just one question remains. . . . .

Tuning pegs - how much of a difference will new ones make? and what cost am I looking at? (this is already quite expensive. . . . )

All looking good, especially the Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounders & Rotosound strings - my favourite combination.

I must confess I've never understood the debate around the tuner replacement thing - if you can tune the bass, and all things being equal, it stays in tune, then the tuners are doing their job, and do not need replaced. If the bass can't be tuned, or it won't stay reliably in tune once tuned, with all other things being equal, then the tuners *may* be the problem, and *may* need replaced.

I've never owned a bass that wouldn't stay in tune, and I've owned some cheap basses. Both my Squire P-bass and Westfield P-bass clone are just fine in this regard.

Jennifer

[quote name='Spider-dan' post='749271' date='Feb 18 2010, 08:32 AM']-Update-

decided to go with a red tortoise shell pickguard instead of a black pickguard (bit too black IMO).

Also I wish to give it a 'worn' look, any advice on how to do this?

- your friendly neighbourhood Spider-Dan.[/quote]

Play it loads, or throw it down the stairs, I'd suggest playing it.