Why become a member? ×

Bass thats a Keeper?

bubinga5

The more and more i play my CS 1970 Jazz, the more i realise its prob a bass i will never let go...Its just so simple and sounds sooo good... i would take it to any gig when i dont need a 5, its so adaptable....the tone is silky smooth, with a punchy growl to absolutely die for..Think the Aguilar adds to the warmth of the bass..2 pups on full and roll off the treble a little,..... there yo got tone heaven..

...There have been many owners of this bass and i just cant understand why they let it go?? the first i believe being Marcus...

i have changed things, (which some may say is bad) the first being the pups which are now Nordstrand NJSE 4's...that are awsome...and a black pick guard....although i have all the original parts and keep them very safe....

its the best Fender Jazz ive ever played in its current setup, and will prob grow old with it, will never let it go unless son or daughter starts playing ...

ok the jazz hasnt got the low down punch of the P or ray but its got the best all round tone surely

do you have bass that is a definite keeper....your Pics please!!!

here is the wonderful instrument.. :)

Edited by bubinga5

Tricky.

Not that I don't have instruments that are special, but I've learned that nothing is so important that I could never part with it under any circumstances. Neither of my (very cheap) basses qualify, but the time may come when I have a decent one. I do have 5 guitars I don't want to let go: my MIJ strat (bought new in '89) a MIM strat, Tokai Love Rock (LP '59 replica, Japanese market only) Washburn A20V (Matsumoku original) and a Dynelectron (70s copy of a Danelectro guitarlin longhorn) that I've owned since I was 18. Only the one pic because this is a bass forum.

I've always loved my Jackson 'Kip Winger' bass.

It's as unfashionable anything can be, but it plays great and I think it looks great too. This bass really set the stall out for every bass I got after it. Basses have come and gone since the early 90's, but the Jackson's always stayed.

It has a weird mix of active pickups and passive tone controls and it's started to sound a bit spluttery and sick, so a replacement pickup might be in order at some point. It'll be good to get rid of the maze of wires and the battery, but I hope it'll keep the old magic.

I went through a lot of basses to find one I couldn't fault then I found this Shuker. TBH, I wasn't sure at first whether I liked it or not - it's a joy to play and a beautiful and solidly made instrument but it just didn't sound right. I spoke to Jon Shuker about it and soon after changed the pups - Nordstrand Dual Coils for some custom made Wizards and now I have the bass that'll see my playing days out.

It astounds me every time I play it.

With the Nordstrands...

Edited by niceguyhomer

For me, it's my Rickenbacker 4001, and my Gibson EB2.

The Ric has a bit of a story behind it. short version, I was skint, miserable, starving hungry....... :lol: But done the sensible thing, and managed to come out of it with a little bit of money in my back pocket, although I had pretty much lost everything :) Once I had settled into my new home, I still had said money, so I decided to really treat myself, and hunt down a Ric! Never looked back :rolleyes:

No real story to the EB2, just love the old thing :lol:

My Spector NS5CR that I first tried when Homer owned it years ago. It started out sounding really nice and I've since done quite a bit of modding to it to increase the warmth and sweeten the highs, plus added coil split switches so I can get single coil and parallel settings. It's the best sounding bass I have ever played.

The Shuker I have is also now fitted with Wizards like Homers (can you detect a pattern here?) and its a really strong sounding, muscular bass with a very even response right across the fretboard. Haven't gigged it since the pickups were replaced but maybe that will happen soon. I just need to sort the piezo saddles out and maybe install the Noll 3 band para eq.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='742778' date='Feb 12 2010, 07:31 AM']I went through a lot of basses to find one I couldn't fault then I found this Shuker. TBH, I wasn't sure at first whether I liked it or not - it's a joy to play and a beautiful and solidly made instrument but it just didn't sound right. I spoke to Jon Shuker about it and soon after changed the pups - Nordstrand Dual Coils for some custom made Wizards and now I have the bass that'll see my playing days out.

It astounds me every time I play it.

With the Nordstrands...

[/quote]

Awwwwwwww :)

I'm currently GAS free for basses and I think I have the three that I'll be keeping for ever.
Shuker P5

Wood & Tronics Ergon
[attachment=42438:Immagine_325.jpg]

and my Japanese 62 RI P bass.

I love my Peavey and it's the perfect gigging machine for me. BUT I doubt I'll grow old with it due to the wear and tear it gets from regular use - it's probably gonna need new frets within the next couple of years. If I get a new bass I think I'll be looking for a 35" scale 4-string to tighten up the bottom end on drop tunings.

@bubinga 5, is that a custom classic CS jazz or another model, specific to 1970? nice bass!

My 5 string Sei was a keeper, but ended up going with the need to change back to a 4 string. My sea foam green jazz came along and it's soooo nice, so staying with me for a good while. Took me ages to find it and it is a dream to play, I like the idea of trying some Nordy's though ;-)

Tony

These four are definite keepers. They all have their own distinct characters & sounds, as well as the usual Status hifi growl.

The Streamline is a fabulous design, very light & has it's own almost 3d resonance through the all-graphite construction. The white front and side LED's come in handy for pit blackouts as well!

The walnut S2-Classic 4-string is simply the best 4-stringer I've ever played. It even surpasses the lovely 1990 model I had for a while. The sound is astounding and it's my main player.

The S2-Classic bolt-on 5-string with the phenowood fingerboard is a lovely bass. Great for all jobs, especially jazz stuff with the grittier sound.

The myrtlewood S2-Classic 5 is quite simply not only the nicest looking bass I've ever seen, but also the lovliest to hold. There's something about the neck profile that's really special on this one. It just exudes luxury and sounds fantastic.

The other potential keeper is my MusicMan Stingray piezo. The fact that it's such a lovely example & with the addition of the piezo bridge it's practicallty two basses in one. Excellent!

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

I owned the CS Jazz after Marcus and I concur that it is a superb bass, the playability was one of the best I have ever played.

This may sound pathetic but I let it go because I am not a massive fan of natural Jazzes and knew that a refin would destroy its value.

As for keepers, I am saying nothing :-)