Why become a member? ×

Paul McCartney in Them Crooked Vultures!!

spinynorman

This piece in NME made me sit up ...

[url="http://www.nme.com/news/paul-mccartney/49287"]http://www.nme.com/news/paul-mccartney/49287[/url]

There's various blogs and other on-line things that seem to be taking this at face value. I can't believe McCartney seriously thought he was a contender for the job.

When I told my son, his first thought was the same as mine. Grohl didn't have a bass player lined up and, realising McCartney was angling for it, blurted out the first name that came into his head. Later he had to phone John Paul Jones "Hey, JP, I've got a problem ... ".

What would TCV have turned out like with McCartney on bass ????

It wouldn't have worked at all. McCartney writes and plays melodic songs and that's a million miles away from anything TCV will ever do. I saw TCV on TV at Christmas and was very underwhelmed by what turned out to be just a bunch of rich and famous musicians self indulgently whacking off! IMO of course! I think McCartney was the lucky one.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='741898' date='Feb 11 2010, 11:58 AM']As opposed to...?

There's nothing heavy on that album.[/quote]

The grooves are heavy.

I think the album would lose a lot of its darkness. After listening to macca's recent work with the firemen, i doubt he would pull anything as interesting as JPJ out of his old bag these days. I think JPJ is what gave TCM that extra firepower, i doubt theyd be as good as they are with a different bass player in place.

Edited by dumelow

there's nothing that good on the album in terms of bass lines or playing IMO.

Certainly, the riffs groove, but compared to some of Homme's earlier work, the sound and composition is not "heavy" as in "heavy metal". It sounds more like "rock 'n' roll" than "heavy rock" or "stoner rock" or "grunge" or whatever he used to do.

I'm not saying that album's sh*t, it's just it could have done with some re-arrangement IMO.

I found the TCV album took a lot of plays to get into, you have to really want to spend the time with it. I had the same problem with Era Vulgaris, there's nothing immediately accessible there, unlike Songs for the Deaf and Lullabies.

With McCartney, they could have been Those Straight Puffins. :) :rolleyes:

Edited by spinynorman