Why become a member? ×

Step-down tuning

Telebass

[quote name='Telebass' post='740399' date='Feb 9 2010, 09:44 PM']Does anyone here use this method as their basic tuning, down to D-G-C-F ?

Probably a pain in these days of 5ers, but I seem to remember Mel Schacher of Grand Funk Railroad using this.

Keep thinking of trying it, but have not yet mustered the courage![/quote]
Just a D-Tuner on the Wal to allow me to switch from EADG to DADG

G&L tuned down a semitone for Alibi - it make the vocals a tad easier

I've done a few gigs where I've dropped down either a tone or semitone (usually when it's a
thrown together band without a strong singer).Other times I just use the Hipshot extender on
my Jazz Bass.
The one thing that really annoys me about drop tuning is when people still refer to the notes as
though it was in standard tuning. If I'm in drop D the 3rd fret is an F not G.

[quote name='Doddy' post='740557' date='Feb 10 2010, 02:01 AM']The one thing that really annoys me about drop tuning is when people still refer to the notes as
though it was in standard tuning. If I'm in drop D the 3rd fret is an F not G.[/quote]

How lazy! I can't see how that would work for them. That's potentially eight notes they've lost. Careless.

[quote name='Dread Bass' post='740403' date='Feb 9 2010, 09:49 PM']I play my 5 string: A C G C F and my 6 strings: A C G C F A sharp.

I love it. It suits our music and my technique.[/quote]

Weird, I didn't know anyone else did that! Mine's the same intervals but a semi-tone higher.

[quote name='Telebass' post='740399' date='Feb 9 2010, 09:44 PM']Does anyone here use this method as their basic tuning, down to D-G-C-F ?[/quote]
Yes!!!! (See my siggie)

Seriously, tried drop-tuning my Ibanez (DADG), but found I was messing all my standard shapes up in this tuning, so when I got the Squier, the first thing was to down-tune the whole bass so it's still tuned in perfect 4ths (quick trussrod adjustment, kept the standard strings on).

Main reason for this is a lot of the music we play in church benefits from me being able to play the low D if in the key of Amaj or F#m (which is a lot!!) or Dmaj (can play the open string as a root note then go to the 3rd, 5th and octave relatively easily).

Still, if I went back to a 5 string I might have to look at ADGCF (or possibly a 4 string tuned ADGC) - it allows some extra flexibility without sacrificing a lot at the far end of the fretboard (who really goes above the 20th fret anyway? :) )

Anyway, YMMV. Give it a try!

HTH, Ian

Just watched a Doobie Brothers video, and their bassist Skylark seems to tune down a whole tone. I tried detuning after getting rid of my 5-string but can't get on with it. I find that at some point I take my eye off the ball and move my fretting hand to get me a D, only to hit a C. I'm told it's due to having perfect pitch but I don't believe that's anything to do with it - I just couldn't be arsed to persevere.

In my metal band we're tuned down a step and a half, so C# standard. My other band we tune a half step down for the singer's benefit, so D# standard, and one song there we drop tune, so end up in drop C#. I do this all on the one bass and it's manageable with 45-105's, although I would prefer a bass specifically set up for each band really.

A somewhat related question. In my (now on a break) covers band everything was 1/2 step down to help the singer hit some of the high bits. All fine, no issues with that.

What would you recommend setting up differently on a bass that I would be using tuned this way? Different strings? Action? anything else.

I haven't made any changes, and it seems fine, but just wondering.....

[quote name='Steve_nottm' post='742298' date='Feb 11 2010, 05:18 PM']A somewhat related question. In my (now on a break) covers band everything was 1/2 step down to help the singer hit some of the high bits. All fine, no issues with that.

What would you recommend setting up differently on a bass that I would be using tuned this way? Different strings? Action? anything else.

I haven't made any changes, and it seems fine, but just wondering.....[/quote]
Totally depends on how the bass feels to you. I ended up favouring slightly heavier strings, but that was pretty much the only change- as ever though, YMMV.

[quote name='Steve_nottm' post='742298' date='Feb 11 2010, 05:18 PM']A somewhat related question. In my (now on a break) covers band everything was 1/2 step down to help the singer hit some of the high bits. All fine, no issues with that.

I haven't made any changes, and it seems fine, but just wondering.....[/quote]

Check your intonation too, changing string tension (including by keeping the same tuning but changing string gauges) can sometimes send it a bit out.

I have a Jap P bass tuned down to D G C F, leave it like that all the time, for using on one song we do when the geezer who wrote My Star with Ian Brown plays with us. I rarley play the P for anything else, so have the luxury of leaving it in that tuning, 45-105 strings are used.

Tony