Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

elites bass strings

brianliverpool

I used to use them - they had a good sound out of the box but went dead quite fast and felt coarse (not as bad as Rotosound .66s, though). Also, I did get the occasional dead string in a set, or the occasional string with odd overtones, which is the main reason why I stopped using them. They were quite like DR highbeams in sound and feel, come to think of it, but I far preferred the DRs.

Edited by Wil

[quote name='brianliverpool' post='737928' date='Feb 7 2010, 11:16 AM']so whats a nice smooth bright 40,s bass string set, i also put a set of rotosound nickel on but found they where just like 45,s ( off fleebay again).. I HAV,NT played for a good few years and have put the old strings back on.. (1976 P.bass)....[/quote]

Though I am a Roto man, I can recommend D'addario Pro Steels or Warwick Reds. I prefer steels; don't like the feel of nickel on a bass.

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='Linus27' post='737747' date='Feb 6 2010, 11:42 PM']I use them. Have done for 23 years. I always use Elite Stadiums 45 - 105. Love them, great strings.[/quote]

+1 These are what i've been using for years. I've never had a bad set of Elites and they're usually around £15, i've paid £30+ for strings before and got the odd duff one

They are quite coarse but i find them really easy to play, great for RHCP style lines and they respond well when you dig in. They're also tough as hell

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='737970' date='Feb 7 2010, 11:56 AM']+1 These are what i've been using for years. I've never had a bad set of Elites and they're usually around £15, i've paid £30+ for strings before and got the odd duff one

They are quite coarse but i find them really easy to play, great for RHCP style lines and they respond well when you dig in. They're also tough as hell[/quote]

Yep, I also find them easy to play and I love the tone. I also dig in quite hard and have found no problem. For £13 a set, I think they are a bargain.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='737970' date='Feb 7 2010, 11:56 AM']+1 These are what i've been using for years. I've never had a bad set of Elites and they're usually around £15, i've paid £30+ for strings before and got the odd duff one

They are quite coarse but i find them really easy to play, great for RHCP style lines and they respond well when you dig in. They're also tough as hell[/quote]

Another Elites fan here, I find they retain their brightness for a good while & have been using them since the early 1990's.

Cheers,
iamthewalrus

Edited by iamthewalrus

Used Rotos for years until I had two duff sets on the trot. Changed to Elites, used them for years until I had two duff sets on the trot. Changed to Warwick Reds, have used them for years and they've been great. And sooooo cheap too :) Although I'm changing to heavier nickels now. But for steels, I definitely recommend the Warwick Reds.

I used Elites for about 8 years, up until about 3-4 years ago they were fantastic. Then they changed, they went dead quicker, the sound became very thin despite everything else being set the same and as noted they didn't feel the same to play.

I changed to D'Addario Nickel strings and they are keeping me happy at the moment.