Why become a member? ×

12" Cabs.

Mr.T

[quote name='Mr.T' post='828431' date='May 5 2010, 08:46 AM']Would 60 litres be classed as a 'small' cab for a 12" driver?

They are a similar size to the Aggie 12's, and I don't hear too many people complaining about a lack of low-end from those.

But hey....
Horses for courses![/quote]60l is adequate for twelves with Qts of .4 or less. As for the perception of low end response, the human ear is very inaccurate; most people are about an octave low in their estimates of the frequency they're hearing. Low 'B' players who swear they're knocking down walls with 32Hz output are actually hearing the 2nd harmonic at 64Hz. Good thing, as otherwise even a Fridge wouldn't be up to 5 stringer needs.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='828743' date='May 5 2010, 06:05 PM']60l is adequate for twelves with Qts of .4 or less. As for the perception of low end response, the human ear is very inaccurate; most people are about an octave low in their estimates of the frequency they're hearing. Low 'B' players who swear they're knocking down walls with 32Hz output are actually hearing the 2nd harmonic at 64Hz. Good thing, as otherwise even a Fridge wouldn't be up to 5 stringer needs.[/quote]

Does that mean it's Ok for me to think that my new cabs sound good? :)

[quote name='nig' post='737789' date='Feb 7 2010, 12:46 AM']I have 2 gk 12 neos, one went pop and due to the crap and overpriced nonsense from gk and tohmann I opted for a celestion 300x neo, great speaker, affordable and you cant tell it apart from the twice price gk eminence. it was 74 quid.[/quote]
I had a GK Neo 212 in the past, and to be honest I agree with you. It didn't feel like it's 600W rating, I felt like it shouldn't cost as much as it does. Haven't tried any of the other GK Neo's mind you

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='828743' date='May 5 2010, 06:05 PM']60l is adequate for twelves with Qts of .4 or less. As for the perception of low end response, the human ear is very inaccurate; most people are about an octave low in their estimates of the frequency they're hearing. Low 'B' players who swear they're knocking down walls with 32Hz output are actually hearing the 2nd harmonic at 64Hz. Good thing, as otherwise even a Fridge wouldn't be up to 5 stringer needs.[/quote]

so true,try to get the chance to listen to a 32Hz sine wave through your speakers . If you hear it at all then you'll be amazed at how low it sounds.

[quote name='Mr.T' post='828812' date='May 5 2010, 06:55 PM']Does that mean it's Ok for me to think that my new cabs sound good? :)[/quote]

theory is great but if it sounds good; then it sounds good!

[quote name='Mr.T' post='828812' date='May 5 2010, 01:55 PM']Does that mean it's Ok for me to think that my new cabs sound good? :)[/quote]
Some of the fave rigs of all time are Ampeg flip-tops, B12s, B15s, etc. They have one of the worst responses imaginable, with a huge midbass response hump and no real low end. That doesn't mean they don't subjectively sound good.

[quote name='Mr.T' post='828812' date='May 5 2010, 06:55 PM']Does that mean it's Ok for me to think that my new cabs sound good? :)[/quote]

If they sound good to you then that is problem number one solved, IMV..and if people comment favourably
on your sound, then I would form a company and start making them... :rolleyes: :lol:

They look well made which is half the battle, IMO.

[quote name='JTUK' post='829319' date='May 6 2010, 08:59 AM']If they sound good to you then that is problem number one solved, IMV..and if people comment favourably
on your sound, then I would form a company and start making them... :) :rolleyes:

They look well made which is half the battle, IMO.[/quote]

Although I enjoyed making them, it was very time consuming.

I can see why some (most) cabs are just essentially a box with a big hole in the front. :lol:

[quote name='cheddatom' post='829511' date='May 6 2010, 12:26 PM']I've only just realised the irony of this expression.

End of what? You didn't finish your sentence, it's missing the end![/quote]

Hahaha, good point. If Mr T likes the sound, thats its, nothing else to worry about. Plus they look great!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='829515' date='May 6 2010, 12:29 PM']Very professional! Thats better than some of the cabinet finishes Ive seen that are actually on sale to the public. Nice :)[/quote]

Thank you.

[quote name='ColinB' post='830006' date='May 6 2010, 08:28 PM']They look great and have inspired me to get on and build my own cabs based around the 2512 speakers. All I need to do is find the time![/quote]

Good man!

What size will you make yours?

[quote name='Mr.T' post='830023' date='May 6 2010, 08:44 PM']Good man!

What size will you make yours?[/quote]

I'm making each cab 55 litres and, using WinISD, tuned it to 50Hz with two 6.6cm x 13.4cm long ports. I've calculated and estimated that the speaker, ports and bracing will take up 10 litres so it's really a 45 litre cab for the Deltalite 2512.

This design gives me a 2dB hump at 100hz (no bad thing) and allows me to run each cab at 150W before running out of cone excursion. Considering I'm using an Ashdown MAG300 which gives 300W at 4 Ohms, then this is just fine with me. This design will also work well if I upgrade my amp to somethig louder as I'll be able to drop the Eminence Kappalite 3012HO straight in and it'll work fine.

I've made the external dimensions 47cm wide (so the head sits nicely on the top), 57cm high and 28cm deep (which is 25cm of cab plus an extra 3cm of wood for grille depth). All made from 12mm marine ply.

I've made 3 guitar cabs before, but there was no bracing and air-tightness required with those so this will have to be a more careful build. It'll take a few weeks, me thinks, but I'll start a new thread with pictures once I get going.

Edited by ColinB

• 1 month later...

[quote name='guylewis' post='864071' date='Jun 11 2010, 09:50 AM']Here's one that I've just finished.

[attachment=51857:bassCAB.JPG]

I used Eminence's design (from their website) for a small vented cab for bass guitar using the DeltaLite II.

Sounds good and weighs 12.5 kgs.

Thanks to MykeT for his help[/quote]

That finish is fantastic! It looks very professional.

[quote name='guylewis' post='864071' date='Jun 11 2010, 09:50 AM']Here's one that I've just finished.

[attachment=51857:bassCAB.JPG]

I used Eminence's design (from their website) for a small vented cab for bass guitar using the DeltaLite II.

Sounds good and weighs 12.5 kgs.

Thanks to MykeT for his help[/quote]

Nice Job!

How would you describe the sound?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='864076' date='Jun 11 2010, 09:54 AM']That finish is fantastic! It looks very professional.[/quote]

I'm embarassed at how easy the finish was!

TuffCab paint from Blue Aran - 3 coats applied with a standard paint roller.

It takes about a week to cure fully although you can re-coat after about 1/2 hour and handle within one hour . . . time will tell how durable it is.

[quote name='Mr.T' post='864081' date='Jun 11 2010, 09:57 AM']Nice Job!

How would you describe the sound?[/quote]

Difficult to describe as I've only used it as an extension cab for my Roland Bass Cube 100 but would say its richer, louder and just sounds[i] better[/i] than the single stock speaker.

Its certainly a big improvement on what is already a good sounding combo (IMV) and have high hopes for it when I find a good used Little Mark 250.