Why become a member? ×

How the hell do some people treat their basses?!

xilddx

Generally speaking I try to treat my bass well. However, as it has been pointed out in this thread, heavy gigging can have some heavy consequences. As a result of this and some other factors (particularly my clumsiness), my two basses have some little dings and scratches.

One that baffles me though, is a clump of scratches near the control panel of my Stingray. I have no idea how it got there - it was just like that when I took it out of my gig bag one day. I've since started using padded/hard cases, but I'm still bemused by that one.

Actually, I'm really annoyed - if my favourite bass is going to get an inexplicable scar, it should have the decency to look like a proper wound, not a clump of pathetic hairline scratches! I've contemplated sanding it down, but I've decided I'll just let the natural wear and tear take care of it - I very much doubt I'll ever sell it anyway.

Anyway, I agree with the sentiments about pristine basses - I couldn't have one without feeling nervous every time I picked it up, let alone take it out the house!

A few little dings on mine from jumping about at gigs. I intend to use and keep this one for a long time so I look after it but accept it will get more battle scars as the years pass.

I don't like grimy, dirty basses that smell of mouldy cellars. The Shergold I'm rescuing was like this and is still a bit whiffy after several goes at cleaning.

Treat your bass how you like, it's your bass.

However, if you do NOT do your own setups, have the courtesy to clean it thoroughly (or expect to pay extra for that) when you give it to a tech. There's few things more unpleasant than scraping someone else's sweat etc off a fingerboard...

The dirt on an instrument is NOT irrelevant, and it is NOT 'mojo'. It's just stuff that will kill your strings, knacker your pickups, and rust your metalwork. If that's what you want, well, it's your money and you will eventually spend more of it because of this attitude, in the same way as an abused car will inevitably cost more to run/MOT than a cared-for car.

I care for my kit, so I expect it to perform on demand. If you don't care, it WILL eventually let you down BECAUSE you don't care.
</rant>

Of course, wear and tear will 'mojo' your bass, but it should take, with care, oh, 25 tears or so to get really reliced!
:)

Edited by Telebass

I keep my Shuker as clean and undinged as possible. It was mint when I got it, and I want to keep it that way. It doesn't make me anal.

My Ibanez 6 is a beaten-up piece of crap. It was that way when I got it (cheap) -- consequently, the only bit that ever gets cleaned are the strings and fingerboard, the rest is scruffy and will stay that way. It doesn't make me a lunatic or kitten-abuser.

[quote name='Telebass' post='736070' date='Feb 5 2010, 12:38 PM']The dirt on an instrument is NOT irrelevant, and it is NOT 'mojo'. It's just stuff that will kill your strings, knacker your pickups, and rust your metalwork. If that's what you want, well, it's your money and you will eventually spend more of it because of this attitude, in the same way as an abused car will inevitably cost more to run/MOT than a cared-for car.[/quote]

Like my old man says; "Look after your car and it'll look after you".

Exactly. I've had my current car nearly 11 years...needs replacing now, before repairs start to cost a lot, otherwise it's done really well, 210,000 miles. I looked after my first diesel too, and when I moved it on, it had 315,000 on the clock. Just good care.

[quote name='Clarky' post='735986' date='Feb 5 2010, 11:44 AM']I have found that if I have a completely mint instrument (especially an expensive one like my old Shuker JJB) I am so OCD about keeping it fresh and shiny that it actually takes away some of the enjoyment of owning and playing it as I become paranoid about damage. I guess this probably goes back to the pro musician versus dabbler/hobbyist thing, to some extent, as I think of basses as things of beauty and objects to desire. If I was gigging night after night I guess the condition of my basses (and my attitude) would be rather different.[/quote]

I'm totally with Clarky on this one. In fact, I just sold a minty '62 re-issue P bass, because I held my breath every time I got it out of the case. Sold it, and just bought a well used one to replace it - now I'm much happier!

The funny thing is, the basses I've bought brand new, I've been paranoid about marking. The ones I've bought 2nd hand, and have obviously been well played but looked after (and the fantastic '76 P bass I bought from Thunderthumbs is an example) I'm not that fussed if they get marked.

I keep all mine squeeky clean. I recently done some repair work, and a set up on a Strat for someone, and it probably took me longer to clean it, than do the work, absolutely disgusting filth, even had mould on it! :)

Everytime I play one of mine, it's out with the duster, and clean all the finger prints off, wipe the strings down,etc. If I have played them for over an hour, or my hands have got sweaty from a gig, then its off with the strings, full clean and polish, lemon oil on the fret board. I'm especially fussy with the nitro cellulose basses I have. Sweat is nasty stuff, and is quite corrosive.

I'm the same with all my kit, and you won't catch me on stage with crackling jack sockets and pots, dodgy leads, etc. Look after your tools, and they will last a lifetime. That's my moto anyway :rolleyes:

I keep my minters mint, and buy sh*tters to play live and/or abuse.
If I buy a used £1000 bass off Ebay for 300 quid thats had the crap kicked out of it already, then I have no qualms about continuing to kick the crap out of it myself, changing the pups, modding it, respraying it, who gives a toss, the damage is done by someone else, and I am just adjusting the "non-mintness" to my own specs. You would freak if you saw the state of my XM2, it is absolutely trashed to pieces doesn't even have any binding left, rewired, resprayed badly in black car paint and badly applied graphic front, but OMG its a fantastic player and still a USA Steinberg underneath all the various grot. It also sounds fantastic, its my main bass at the moment.
I DO keep it clean though, +1 about sweat buildup, eww. I do all my own setups etc, and my own sweat is bad enough, let alone when I used to do it for a living!

[quote name='robocorpse' post='736117' date='Feb 5 2010, 01:09 PM']I keep my minters mint, and buy sh*tters to play live and/or abuse.
If I buy a used £1000 bass off Ebay for 300 quid thats had the crap kicked out of it already, then I have no qualms about continuing to kick the crap out of it myself, changing the pups, modding it, respraying it, who gives a toss, the damage is done by someone else, and I am just adjusting the "non-mintness" to my own specs. You would freak if you saw the state of my XM2, it is absolutely trashed to pieces doesn't even have any binding left, rewired, resprayed badly in black car paint and badly applied graphic front, but OMG its a fantastic player and still a USA Steinberg underneath all the various grot. It also sounds fantastic, its my main bass at the moment.
I DO keep it clean though, +1 about sweat buildup, eww. I do all my own setups etc, and my own sweat is bad enough, let alone when I used to do it for a living![/quote]
I agree with you.

May we have a picture of the sh*teberger please?

[quote name='silddx' post='735940' date='Feb 5 2010, 11:16 AM']I don't really know why but it makes me angry. I don't like people who have no respect for things, I make assumptions they treat people and animals like that too. Is it me being very judgemental as usual? or do I have a point?[/quote]

You are being judgemental. I love animals, and my basses have dings. Granted the T-bass has a lot more than the Spector co's I bought it used with dings on it already, it seem not well cared for but i bought my Spector new and I have made some dings and finger marks on it. (being a natural oil bass it happens). It's not that I don't care about my basses is just they are tools to an aim, if there's a ding I won't cry about it, but if anyone beats up my bass they will get beaten :)
Even custom mades I would take them to a gig, in the end you have worked hard to play a great bass why not enjoy it.

Although I consider Ritters works of art and I'm not sure I'd take them out to a pub.

[quote name='davidmpires' post='736143' date='Feb 5 2010, 01:29 PM']You are being judgemental. I love animals, and my basses have dings. Granted the T-bass has a lot more than the Spector co's I bought it used with dings on it already, it seem not well cared for but i bought my Spector new and I have made some dings and finger marks on it. (being a natural oil bass it happens). It's not that I don't care about my basses is just they are tools to an aim, if there's a ding I won't cry about it, but if anyone beats up my bass they will get beaten :)
Even custom mades I would take them to a gig, in the end you have worked hard to play a great bass why not enjoy it.

Although I consider Ritters works of art and I'm not sure I'd take them out to a pub.[/quote]
Ritter rhymes with a very appropriate word for those basses.

I am talking about properly bashed about, not the odd ding or scratch.

[quote name='JackLondon' post='735957' date='Feb 5 2010, 11:29 AM']You do have a point. Someone who doesn't look after their gear shouldn't have it no matter how hard they've worked to get it![/quote]

:rolleyes: Yeah right. Go tell that to a certain guitarist from the Who. For many it's just a tool. In addition, on a personal level the more I try and mollycoddle a bass the more likely I am to walk into a wall with it.

FWIW I used to hit my basses on stage. And no, I would never hit a person or animal. :) I'm getting really sick of these "I think such-and such is rubbish, is everyone with me?" threads.

[quote name='SteveO' post='735999' date='Feb 5 2010, 11:52 AM']I don't think the assumption that its an indication of animal cruelty is a particularly fair one either :). I don't really care about my basses as long as they remain in good working order, but I would and have spent a fortune on taking care of my cat when most 'normal' owners may have opted for euthanasia. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Good man. I've just done similar. Some things are far, far more important than any bass will ever be.

[quote name='silddx' post='735984' date='Feb 5 2010, 11:44 AM']No, not yours mate :)

BUT, [i]"If a custom shop bass has alot of wear and tear (and no deep cracks etc) I would generally think its because it was such a good bass, the owner couldnt put it down, imo that is a sign of a very good instrument."[/i] I'm sorry but I think that's absolute nadgers. The odd ding and scratch I can understand, but I can't see why any instrument should end up looking like it's spent six months in the Gorbals because someone "loved" it.[/quote]

As a Glaswegian, I don't appreciate that crack about The Gorbals.

It's been a very, very long time since the Gorbals have been like that. It was completely renovated in the 60/70s and there's a hell of a lot of decent folk living there now.

Geoff

Edited by geoffbyrne

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='736168' date='Feb 5 2010, 01:42 PM']As a Glaswegian, I don't appreciate that crack about The Gorbals.

It's been a very, very long time since the Gorbals have been like that. It was completely renovated in the 60/70s and there's a hell of a lot of decent folk living there now.

Geoff[/quote]

:) Sorry Geoff :rolleyes:

[quote name='silddx' post='736132' date='Feb 5 2010, 01:16 PM']I agree with you.
May we have a picture of the sh*teberger please?[/quote]

Sure, heres mah baby! However, I prefer the term "Steinb*stard" to "Sh*teberger", this definitely aint sh*te!!!. Its real name is "Rambo". I haven't decided if its a he or a she, it will probably bite my arm off if I try to categorise it. Theses a bizarre hum sometimes that sounds like "dont puuuush me!" :) I am toying with the idea of bastardising a spare transmitter and fitting it internally where the bridge pickup currently lives (with a false pickup cover over it, or maybe just a load of grotty looking gaffa tape would look more in keeping with the nature of this beast). This means it can run from a bigger battery, and makes it switchable from o/p socket so theres less chance of killing the batteries by knocking the on/off switch! I get bored carrying 4 different types of batteries in my gig case.

Edited by robocorpse

[quote name='robocorpse' post='736181' date='Feb 5 2010, 01:54 PM']Sure, heres mah baby! However, I prefer the term "Steinb*stard" to "Sh*teberger", this definitely aint sh*te!!!. Its real name is "Rambo". I haven't decided if its a he or a she, it will probably bite my arm off if I try to categorise it. Theses a bizarre hum sometimes that sounds like "dont puuuush me!" :)
Note natty use of gaffa to hold radio transmitter into o/p socket. I'm considering bastardising a spare transmitter and fitting it internally to run off a bigger battery, and making it switchable from o/p socket so theres less chance of killing the batteries by knocking the on/off switch! I get bored carrying 4 different types of batteries in my gig case.

[/quote]
That looks alright from here!

[quote name='riff raff' post='735967' date='Feb 5 2010, 11:36 AM']thats the most ridiculous thing to say.if i work hard(i do) and earn the money to buy the gear i want(i do) i can do whatever i like with it.and treat it however i like.

they're only tools.beat the sh*t out of them i say.[/quote]

+1 unless it's got some historic or rarity value