Why become a member? ×

a little more help needed, if i may

phil_the_bassist

I'm really struggling to get any enjoyment or satisfaction out of playing bass since a recent band i ploughed money and hundreds of hours into turned out to be a haven of pathological liars, deceit and bs. Compound that with the loss of a close relative, moving out of my beautiful home back to my parents, that two-faced bitch leaving me, and my boss trying to make me quite by turning my job into 8hrs of daily purgatory has left me with a problem.

I've run through all the James Jamerson, Muse, Rush, LedZep, AC/DC, Jackson5, Stevie Wonder, James Brown, The Who and Jamiroquai tracks that I know and used to love, but all that happens is I get to the end of the song and go "o well, i can still play that'un."

Can any of you suggest any songs/bands to help me get some enjoyment back into my playing? I've got a beautiful bass, but no desire to use it.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='730493' date='Jan 31 2010, 12:45 PM']how about something that is beyond your current reach? Something that technically you can't play at the mo, to give you a challenge[/quote]

liiiiike...? That's the trouble, I can play all the hard stuff in my collection...I'm now down to trying to playing bach cello suite in G major entirely in slap...which sounds godawful and has no place in this world!! :rolleyes:

Whatcha got in your collection that has some killer basslines? tell me tell me tell me?! :)

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='730501' date='Jan 31 2010, 12:50 PM']liiiiike...? That's the trouble, I can play all the hard stuff in my collection...I'm now down to trying to playing bach cello suite in G major entirely in slap...which sounds godawful and has no place in this world!! :rolleyes:

Whatcha got in your collection that has some killer basslines? tell me tell me tell me?! :)[/quote]

primus? :lol:

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='730501' date='Jan 31 2010, 12:50 PM']liiiiike...? That's the trouble, I can play all the hard stuff in my collection...I'm now down to trying to playing bach cello suite in G major entirely in slap...which sounds godawful and has no place in this world!! :rolleyes:

Whatcha got in your collection that has some killer basslines? tell me tell me tell me?! :)[/quote]
Try learning Big Swifty by Zappa (from Make a Jazz Noise Here). It's long, horrendously difficult, and it will keep you occupied for a VERY long time. It's also a monster piece of music which will bring many smiles to your face.

[quote name='silddx' post='730510' date='Jan 31 2010, 12:57 PM']Try learning Big Swifty by Zappa (from Make a Jazz Noise Here). It's long, horrendously difficult, and it will keep you occupied for a VERY long time. It's also a monster piece of music which will bring many smiles to your face.[/quote]

I'll also learn Approximate...i hear the notes are pretty easy, it's just the timing you gotta concentrate on :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='730524' date='Jan 31 2010, 01:05 PM']Seems like you can play all you need to on bass and what you want is a musical diversion. How about learning piano?[/quote]

cos I've not got a piano, or room for one :rolleyes: I've thought that, but I've put so much goddamn effort, time, blood, sweat and tears into bass I just wanna keep going till I can make some money out of it :) possibly.

Sorry to hear life is temporarily sh*te.

Learning songs can be very rewarding, but how about taking a short break and working some stuff of your own? Maybe invest in an accompaniment app like Band-in-a-box. Key in some chord progressions (it's very easy and very flexible) and set to work on a blank canvas.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='730523' date='Jan 31 2010, 01:04 PM']I'll also learn Approximate...i hear the notes are pretty easy, it's just the timing you gotta concentrate on :)[/quote]
Ahh, yes. I actually recorded a version of that about 20 years ago on my first 4-track. It was quite a challenge programming the drum parts on an HR16 and the guitar and bass have to be absolutely on the money. You're right, the notes are easy, the timing difficult at those speeds.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. Go blast away with Rancid, Zappa and Guns 'n Roses, they're the global punch bag you need to get the anger out. When you've had a session and you want to pause for breath, try an alternative that simply lets you say " yeah, nice notes, aah". Wind down.

Look up "Super Session" by Bloomfield, Kooper & Stills on the internet. Just nice music with notes in the right place. Bass is by a guy called Harvey Brooks. The songs to try are "Really", "Albert's Shuffle" and "Stop".

Best of luck.

Balcro.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='730543' date='Jan 31 2010, 08:15 AM']Sorry to hear life is temporarily sh*te.

Learning songs can be very rewarding, but how about taking a short break and working some stuff of your own? Maybe invest in an accompaniment app like Band-in-a-box. Key in some chord progressions (it's very easy and very flexible) and set to [u]work on a blank canvas[/u].[/quote]

+1

Improvising-->composing-->arranging-->producing-->a larger perspective on the bass' role in music.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='730543' date='Jan 31 2010, 01:15 PM']Sorry to hear life is temporarily sh*te.

Learning songs can be very rewarding, but how about taking a short break and working some stuff of your own? Maybe invest in an accompaniment app like Band-in-a-box. Key in some chord progressions (it's very easy and very flexible) and set to work on a blank canvas.[/quote]
[quote name='MIJ-VI' post='731674' date='Feb 1 2010, 01:25 PM']+1

Improvising-->composing-->arranging-->producing-->a larger perspective on the bass' role in music.[/quote]

Another +1 here.

If you've got emotion to let out, improv/writing is a better way to do so than just a few covers IMO, certainly is that way for me. It needn't be for any specific band or project or anything, just something for yourself.

Try some African or african-inspired music. You could start with Paul Simon's Graceland (the magical Bakithi kumalo) and move out from there.

Technically as hard or easy as you like, but it'll make you smile.

Sounds like you could do with that. Hopefully life will look up for you soon,.

fatback