Why become a member? ×

Ay Caramba!!

Stacker

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STUNNING-1965-custom-colour-Fender-Jazz-Bass-CAR-No-Res_W0QQitemZ110487771874QQcategoryZ33039QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BIEW%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D9%26ps%3D63"]'65 Jazz[/url]

8 days to go. Might have a pop if it doesn't get too silly.

[quote name='chris_b' post='730651' date='Jan 31 2010, 02:52 PM']The pickups look fine, but those frets look too good to be true for a 45 year old "played a lot" bass![/quote]

Yeah those frets do look new. Everything else looks good though.

Lovely bass. Not sure why it's desirable because it's unbound... They don't make '65 reissues with bound necks for nowt.

The frets would make me suspicious. It might be possible that this instrument doesn´t sound good. Otherwise it would have been played more in the last dekades. This would have lead to much more wear on the frets. My 62 Jazzbass has max 1mm of frets left due to being played much. Another option is that the neck is defective. A friend of mine is collector and he told me that a lot of these matched headstock Jazzbasses got new necks (esp in the 80s when graphite was hip) since the originals were bent. Before spending so much money I´d definitely want to play it.

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='730713' date='Jan 31 2010, 04:05 PM']I'm a bit sceptical about some of the wear and tear on the body.

As for pickups being a little rusty, it doesn't tend to affect the sound.[/quote]
Yeah, maybe it's me, but some of the wear on the finish looks a bit 'fresh'. Those frets are definitely either new, or as it's been suggested, barely been played (which, if true, is more than a bit worrying).

Thanks for clearing that up about rusty pickups. I guess it barely makes a difference, if at all!

Those wear patterns look really odd. The thumb wear pattern on the body is too far above the strings for starters...why? On the back of the neck, there are wear marks right up at the dusty end...why? There's also a gold undercoat under the body finish which appears to be on top of a silver basecoat but there's just a silver basecoat under the headstock. Is this correct for the year? I know Fender buggered about with custom finishes but I'd imagine they'd at least have the same undercoat for CAR if the instrument is chronologically correct. The scratch plate is also remarkably flat. For a bass of that age I'd expect to see some warping.

The tuners also look very clean for a bass that has been so well used. I'd expect to see them more pitted considering the condition of the headstock. I'm thinking the bass might have a reliced refin and replacement bits.

[quote name='bigjohn' post='730662' date='Jan 31 2010, 03:13 PM']Yeah those frets do look new. Everything else looks good though.

Lovely bass. Not sure why it's desirable because it's unbound... They don't make '65 reissues with bound necks for nowt.[/quote]

I've got a non--export Jap Jazz that's dot and bound! Don't think Fender USA do them.

On an entirely disparate note, I love your avatar, Bigjohn. Seriously cool.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='730826' date='Jan 31 2010, 05:31 PM']Those wear patterns look really odd.[/quote]

agreed... the bit that stood out to me was how worn the neck joint/heel is... the bottom of the heel is seriously chipped worn and thats not a place that naturally would pick up alot of dings.

aside from that (and the new frets) it does look pretty tasty though! incidently, my reliced jazz has uber rusty pickups and they work fine and dandy!!

peace

c

[quote name='3V17C' post='731071' date='Jan 31 2010, 09:54 PM']agreed... the bit that stood out to me was how worn the neck joint/heel is... the bottom of the heel is seriously chipped worn and thats not a place that naturally would pick up alot of dings.

aside from that (and the new frets) it does look pretty tasty though! incidently, my reliced jazz has uber rusty pickups and they work fine and dandy!!

peace

c[/quote]

That looks ok to me. My bass has a lot of the same dongs as this one - even many more.
Personally I´d only care for the sound and playability. If that´s great I would not care about any collector standards. But that´s me. Instruments need to get played a lot to sound good, that´s why these frets make me suspicious.