Why become a member? ×

mesa boogie M6 carbine 2x12 combo

thebassman

first off has anyone got or owned one of these?

I am thinking about getting one, but as usual in this country you have to "buy before you try"

I play in a 5 piece covers band, mainly large pubs playing a mixture of rock/ indie/ cheese. Bands like Elvis costello, blink 182, elbow etc.
I also play in a 3 piece originals band playing Muse/ Nirvana style songs, lots of distortion, volume and loads of space for bass improv. We play small/mid clubs and venues.

At the moment i use my MB 400+/ Powerhouse 4x10, which sounds awesome, but i am getting old and lazy.
Will this amp cut it?
I know it is stated as 300 watt solid state power through 2x12 against my 400 watt all valve through a 4x10.

Any experienced views would much appreciated.

cheers

thebassman

[quote name='thebassman' post='730042' date='Jan 30 2010, 07:46 PM']first off has anyone got or owned one of these?

I am thinking about getting one, but as usual in this country you have to "buy before you try"

I play in a 5 piece covers band, mainly large pubs playing a mixture of rock/ indie/ cheese. Bands like Elvis costello, blink 182, elbow etc.
I also play in a 3 piece originals band playing Muse/ Nirvana style songs, lots of distortion, volume and loads of space for bass improv. We play small/mid clubs and venues.

At the moment i use my MB 400+/ Powerhouse 4x10, which sounds awesome, but i am getting old and lazy.
Will this amp cut it?
I know it is stated as 300 watt solid state power through 2x12 against my 400 watt all valve through a 4x10.

Any experienced views would much appreciated.

cheers

thebassman

has no one owned or know someone with one?
are they just terrible or just rare?[/quote]

You can find a lot of reviews, opinions and experiences about Mesa amps, including the Carbine M6, on Talkbass. This amp gets a lot of good press. Personally I’d always go for separates instead of combos, especially if you're playing in loud bands. You could change over in stages, getting the Carbine M6 first and replace the cab later. Also I've seen good reviews of the Carbine M6 and M9 being paired with Bergantino cabs.

You might be able to hear both at Bass Direct.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' post='733386' date='Feb 2 2010, 07:57 PM']Also I've seen good reviews of the Carbine M6 and M9 being paired with Bergantino cabs.

You might be able to hear both at Bass Direct.[/quote]

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=502435"]Here's the talkbass link[/url]

I spent all afternoon today playing an M6 :wub: through my 2 x Berg AE210 cabs. It's amazing. Louder than you'll ever need and it really punches like a runaway train hitting a cliff wall. The tone is not typical Boogie per se but it is very Boogie in many respects. If you want distortion then you'll need an outboard pedal of some sort; this doesn't really distort, just overdrives nicely. Despite it simple control layout, it has an endless palette of sounds. Build quality is typical Boogie.

I seriously recommend separates if you gig a lot. The rack version is 23lb and a Berg AE210 is 40 lb. Boogie cabs and combos are built like cathedrals (Liverpool excepted :) ) and are consequently very heavy and for me that gets tiresome.

Try one, you will fall in love.

Edited by Sean

[quote name='Platypus' post='733221' date='Feb 2 2010, 05:42 PM']last time I was in Machinehead (machinehead.co.uk) in Hitchin, they had one in stock - that's not too far from you[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up, i will give machinehead a call today and hopefully nip down this weekend. I tried Coda in Stevenage and they are expecting some Mesa gear in late Feb/ early March.

[quote name='Sean' post='733519' date='Feb 2 2010, 09:54 PM'][url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=502435"]Here's the talkbass link[/url]

I spent all afternoon today playing an M6 :wub: through my 2 x Berg AE210 cabs. It's amazing. Louder than you'll ever need and it really punches like a runaway train hitting a cliff wall. The tone is not typical Boogie per se but it is very Boogie in many respects. If you want distortion then you'll need an outboard pedal of some sort; this doesn't really distort, just overdrives nicely. Despite it simple control layout, it has an endless palette of sounds. Build quality is typical Boogie.

I seriously recommend separates if you gig a lot. The rack version is 23lb and a Berg AE210 is 40 lb. Boogie cabs and combos are built like cathedrals (Liverpool excepted :) ) and are consequently very heavy and for me that gets tiresome.

Try one, you will fall in love.[/quote]

Are your Berg AE210 cabs both 8ohms? I only ask this as it means the amp will be running at 600 watts, 4 ohms. I use only 1 x 8 ohm cab, which will give me 300 watts. Just curious to campare relative volume.
Distortion isn't a problem as i have a Tech21 Bass XXL, which is "my" holy grail of bass distortion pedals........ gives you a fantastic Muse distortion without any volume drop off.
I know what you are saying about Boogie amps/ cabs weighing a ton, i currently use a 400+ and powerhouse 4x10 set up.
cheers for the help

thebassman

[quote name='chris_b' post='733386' date='Feb 2 2010, 07:57 PM']You can find a lot of reviews, opinions and experiences about Mesa amps, including the Carbine M6, on Talkbass. This amp gets a lot of good press. Personally I’d always go for separates instead of combos, especially if you're playing in loud bands. You could change over in stages, getting the Carbine M6 first and replace the cab later. Also I've seen good reviews of the Carbine M6 and M9 being paired with Bergantino cabs.

You might be able to hear both at Bass Direct.[/quote]

Cheers for the help.
A stupid question, where is Bass Direct.

thebassman

[quote name='thebassman' post='733732' date='Feb 3 2010, 08:30 AM']Thanks for the heads up, i will give machinehead a call today and hopefully nip down this weekend. I tried Coda in Stevenage and they are expecting some Mesa gear in late Feb/ early March.[/quote]

Hi.

I have a Carbine/Fathom 2x12 combo which I bought from Bassdirect a few months ago, and its absolutely fabulous! It makes the whole stage rumble and still has huge amounts of power in reserve. Everyone in my band agrees its far and away the best bass amp I have ever owned, and I have no idea where people get the idea that its heavy from, as mine is made of birch ply, not mdf, has lightweight Neodymium speakers and I think comes in at about 80lb all in. This is nothing for a combo of this size and power, and certainly causes me no problems with the wheels and fitted handle. I can lift it in the van myself, so it cant be that bad!

Although its absolutely my favourite amp though, it does look like I will be selling it soon, as we have recently changed things round in the band, and I now go through the pa and a pair of 18" subs, so I only need a small set up (I also have a TC Rebel and TC speakers). I havent used it for the last few gigs, and with the bookings we have coming up, it doesnt look like things will change much, so, including a purpose made Roqsolid cover, it would be available for £1250?

If you buy a new one, I cant see how you would ever regret it!

Cheers,

Bob

[quote name='bobpalt' post='734176' date='Feb 3 2010, 04:08 PM']Hi.

I have a Carbine/Fathom 2x12 combo which I bought from Bassdirect a few months ago, and its absolutely fabulous! It makes the whole stage rumble and still has huge amounts of power in reserve. Everyone in my band agrees its far and away the best bass amp I have ever owned, and I have no idea where people get the idea that its heavy from, as mine is made of birch ply, not mdf, has lightweight Neodymium speakers and I think comes in at about 80lb all in. This is nothing for a combo of this size and power, and certainly causes me no problems with the wheels and fitted handle. I can lift it in the van myself, so it cant be that bad!

Although its absolutely my favourite amp though, it does look like I will be selling it soon, as we have recently changed things round in the band, and I now go through the pa and a pair of 18" subs, so I only need a small set up (I also have a TC Rebel and TC speakers). I havent used it for the last few gigs, and with the bookings we have coming up, it doesnt look like things will change much, so, including a purpose made Roqsolid cover, it would be available for £1250?

Cheers,

I may well be interested in this. Can you pm me some more details, like how old, condition and pics. If ok would like to come down and have a look.
Bob[/quote]

[quote name='bobpalt' post='734176' date='Feb 3 2010, 04:08 PM']Hi.

Cheers,

Bob[/quote]

Thanks for the amp info, i look forward to see the pics you take.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Let's not forget that the amp is removable from the cab so you do have options with this "combo" I'm currently running my Orange Bass Terror 500 through the Mesa 2x12 cab and it sounds awesome! and I also run my M6 Carbine through my Barefaced cabs for gigs where space is at a premium, of course it is an amazing bass combo, you can't beat Mesa IMHO :)