Why become a member? ×

Blown cab or amp?

Dvisions

I played a gig last night, where I let all the bands on the bill use my cab. The first band also used my head, which wasn't a problem. The next band used their own head (one of the new Orange bass terrors). Whilst they were playing, I noticed there was no sounding coming from the cab, only through the DI into the PA. When it came to us playing, I saw that he left my head plugged into the cab whilst his head was too! I couldn't get any sound to come out of my cab, other than a weird pop on the E and B strings, but it was coming out fine through the DI.

I was just wondering if this would've caused something in my head, which I'm guessing is the most likely, or the cab? I don't have another head or cab to test out either.

Either way, I'm hoping he's going to be decent enough to cover at least some of the costs, although he didn't seem to keen on the idea at the time!

Cheers guys.

Sounds to me like he´s cooked your cab.
I´d be wanting more than a bit of the repair costs! :)
It´s that guys fault IMO. if he plugged the head into the cab, he´s to blame!

If someone wants to use my rig, I´ll consider it-provided I´ve sen them play before (so i know what I´m dealing with), and they are happy that they cant mess with the eq´ing and set gain and volume levels, (and no kid metal bands!!! :rolleyes:) but I won´t let guys swap amps and cabs-all or nothing.
And I never lend an amp to someone if they´re playing a gig that Im not at!
Gear aint cheap and most guys using borrowed gear are less careful and respectful of it, in my experience

Edited by basshead56

Yeah this is definitely the last time I agree to letting anyone use my stuff without agreeing with the promoter before hand to cover the cost of damages, if they occur.

Of course I want him to pay for all of the repair costs, but in reality, he doesn't have to pay me anything, and there isn't really much I can do it about it, other than rely on him having the decency on fixing something that was completely his fault. He's also a friend of friends, so I'm hoping they'll have a word too.

Sounds like he's cooked your cab so IMO he owes you a new cab. It broke down while he was using it it's his responsibility to stump up for the repair or replacement.
Had a similar incident many moons ago. I used to leave my amp (a huge warwick combo) at a mates where we used to jam. Went for a jam one afternoon to find some -------- had completely fried it. The lousy piece of excrement who used it refused to admit responsibility and so I had to fork out for a new combo. I wish I'd done what Mr Delvar suggested and p1ssed through his letterbox.

My general principle is to ask myself, 'why does he want to use my gear?' If I can't think of a good reason why he shouldn't have his own, then the answer's 'NO'. And unless I know him pretty well and trust him, then the answer's usually 'NO' anyway. The only real exception is when I'm organising a show for multiple bands, and I'm providing the backline.

Actually, Dave Marks has an interesting perspective on this one...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzGSEgRgkSU"]Here...[/url]

Or take him to small claims court, depending on the original cost of the cab, but you'd need a report written by an electrician/luthier first. IF you win you could get the legal costs off him too, or you may be elgible for legal aid. If you're not and you lose though you'd be left with court costs and repairs costs too though.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='730488' date='Jan 31 2010, 12:41 PM']Or take him to small claims court, depending on the original cost of the cab, but you'd need a report written by an electrician/luthier first. IF you win you could get the legal costs off him too, or you may be elgible for legal aid. If you're not and you lose though you'd be left with court costs and repairs costs too though.[/quote]
And you are providing evidence that it was him who damaged your gear from where exactly?

Sorry Sarah, but the poor guy doesn't have even a pin prick of hope pursuing this through the county courts.

The lesson is, don't let anyone f*** with your gear. I have met three bassists at gigs last year who've had their rigs totally knackered through lending them out at shows. Mind you, one of them had a vintage Marshall head that got fried, what in god's name was he doing letting anyone use it?! He even let me use it after telling me this sob story! Nice guy though.

[quote name='silddx' post='730499' date='Jan 31 2010, 12:50 PM']And you are providing evidence that it was him who damaged your gear from where exactly?

Sorry Sarah, but the poor guy doesn't have even a pin prick of hope pursuing this through the county courts.

The lesson is, don't let anyone f*** with your gear. I have met three bassists at gigs last year who've had their rigs totally knackered through lending them out at shows. Mind you, one of them had a vintage Marshall head that got fried, what in god's name was he doing letting anyone use it?! He even let me use it after telling me this sob story! Nice guy though.[/quote]
I'm only saying it's worth looking into, he'd need to speak to a solicitor to get an idea of whether he has a strong case or not. He doesn't need a written confession or anything to show the guy is guilty..

I do agree though it's probably going to be one of those 'put it down to experience' cases.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='730512' date='Jan 31 2010, 12:58 PM']I'm only saying it's worth looking into, he'd need to speak to a solicitor to get an idea of whether he has a strong case or not. He doesn't need a written confession or anything to show the guy is guilty..

I do agree though it's probably going to be one of those 'put it down to experience' cases.[/quote]

On the balance of probablilities, it's highly unlikely (unless the guy confesses, making any action against him pointless unless he refuses to pay up) that any action would be fruitful. Anyone could have done the damage that night.

[quote name='silddx' post='730525' date='Jan 31 2010, 01:05 PM']On the balance of probablilities, it's highly unlikely (unless the guy confesses, making any action against him pointless unless he refuses to pay up) that any action would be fruitful. Anyone could have done the damage that night.[/quote]
unless he can get witness statements from others who were there? Like I say although it's a slim chance it's still worth looking into s no point ruling it out as whichever way you look at it with or without evidence it would be the judge's decision so none of us could say for sure. You can get free 1/2 hr sessions from solicitors who'd be able to at least tell him whether it's worth pursuing.

[quote name='silddx' post='730525' date='Jan 31 2010, 01:05 PM']On the balance of probablilities, it's highly unlikely (unless the guy confesses, making any action against him pointless unless he refuses to pay up) that any action would be fruitful. Anyone could have done the damage that night.[/quote]

I'd have to agree. Very annoying but hard to see what can be done unless the guy does the decent thing. Maybe Skank had the best solution after all! :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='729770' date='Jan 30 2010, 03:31 PM']Don't lend anyone your gear. They don't care about damaging it and they won't pay up if they do![/quote]

BIG plus 1!

It got to a stage where I was taking a £100 returnable cash deposit before the gig, and once I'd fully made sure the head was still working they'd get the money back. ANY repairs more than £100 would be paid for in a ratio of 1 finger per £10 costs, starting with the left hand.

No feckin' prisoners, no feckin problems.

Cheers for the replies guys.

I've borrowed another head and cab from a mate, and its definitely the amp thats gone (still smells of burning electrics), which is definitely the worse out of the two.

What makes this situation difficult is that he's a friend of a friend, which is why I let him borrow my cab in the first place, and it was obviously just a forgetful accident whilst being rushed, because he knows what he's doing in terms of equipment. He's a decent guy, I've been told by someone else he's having money problems, but he's said he's going to help out as much as he can, and I believe him.

[quote name='leftybassman392' post='730484' date='Jan 31 2010, 12:39 PM']Actually, Dave Marks has an interesting perspective on this one...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzGSEgRgkSU"]Here...[/url][/quote]

Excellent video. Simple and to the point, but you wouldn't believe the amount of idiots out there!

Good video.

"Tuner.... the mind boggles" I love that bit.

As for lending gear at gigs, I've recently played a few support slots with a couple of different bands who share the same bass player, a guy in Peterborough called Rich, who's a really nice guy and lets me use his Ampeg rig to save us having two bass rigs in a pub (which would just be daft). I don't dare even touch the knobs on in case I do something bad!

I used to only let people use my DI box if they hadn't bothered to bring a rig or ring up and ask me first if they could use it. But I did feel like a right sh*t doing that... It is hard to say no.