Why become a member? ×

Fretless Precision

thinman

Someone's bound to have pointed this out before but isn't "Fretless Precision Bass" a contradiction in terms?

Wasn't a Precision called that becaue it had frets, i.e. it had precise tuning, as opposed to all previous bass instruments being fretless?

Must get more to do....

[quote name='thinman' post='728025' date='Jan 28 2010, 07:57 PM']Someone's bound to have pointed this out before but isn't "Fretless Precision Bass" a contradiction in terms?

Wasn't a Precision called that becaue it had frets, i.e. it had precise tuning, as opposed to all previous bass instruments being fretless?

Must get more to do....[/quote]
Have you contacted Fender about this gaff! :rolleyes: :)

[quote name='thinman' post='728025' date='Jan 28 2010, 07:57 PM']Someone's bound to have pointed this out before[/quote]

Yep, several times. Equally, is the Jazz Bass the best bass for Jazz?
And does it matter? It's just a name. Having said that, if you listen to a fretless Precision being played by a decent player, it probably still sounds more 'precise' than an upright, which was Leo's point I think?

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='728132' date='Jan 28 2010, 09:31 PM']Surely a player has the capability of being more precise on a fretless instrument as they are not impeded by the tempered tuning of a fretted instrument?[/quote]

Although theoretically true........ ok, I'll just stop right there :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='728516' date='Jan 29 2010, 11:04 AM']Although theoretically true........ ok, I'll just stop right there :)[/quote]

Yes, sorry, should have put theoretically somewhere in my post - I know it doen't happen with me on my EUB :rolleyes: