Why become a member? ×

Lightweight and cheap combos?

Paul S

I am the happy and lucky owner of a fantastic Trace Elliot rig - AH300X plus 15" (and 2x10) cab(s). Perfect for gigging, love it to bits, just the sound I want etc etc. But it would be quite nice not to have to lug it about to rehearsals.

I am considering buying a smaller and more lightweight combo so I can do away with the trolley and carry everything in one hit - so maybe 20kgs max. But what to get? I don't want to spend a load of cash on something like a Mark Bass/ Genz Benz/Phil Jones type thing - budget is a major factor - just something that will do the job at rehearsals without sacrificing too much quality.

It would have to hold it's own against a loud drummer - by way of an indication of our volume levels at the moment I have the TE amp set on 5 for gain and about 3 for output - so loads of headroom from my 240W. We use a typical small rehearsal studio room situation, so nothing daft like an old warehouse or church hall.

Would something like a Hartke kickback 12 do the job? Or even smaller - Line 6 lowdown 110 (I notice one for sale ATM). I think this might struggle but have no real conception of how loud any of those type of things will be by comparison.

Any recommendations and advice gratefully received!

Edited by Paul S

Difficult question to answer. I had an aguilar 4x12 with my last band, and an swr 8x10 before that. I could never hear myself in rehearsal. Honestly. Head was an Aguilar db680 and a 1400 watt Yamaha Power amp. You could look for an old peavey tnt or tko,see them for anywhere between £50 and a £100. Good luck finding what you want.T

[quote name='bumnote' post='724151' date='Jan 25 2010, 03:19 PM']Or perhaps turn it down a bit????

I find if you rehearse at silly volumes you cant hear the bits that need polishing up[/quote]

Plus the One, as they say.

You could also try just the head & the 2 x 10, that ought to suffice.

I don't think I have have been very clear in what I am asking, sorry - I'll edit it a bit so it reads clearer.

I currently take the Trace amp and one cab (the lighter 1x15) to rehearsals. I would rather use something smaller and lighter (an easy one-handed lift). Whatever I spend on a cheap lightweight combo I would surely save on osteopath fees.

We are a rock covers band and rehearse just loud enough to keep pace with a loud drummer - that is the limiting factor, she has an acoustic kit and doesn't do 'soft' very often. It isn't a case of just turning it down a bit.

I do actually own a Peavey TKO 80 but it weighs nearer 30 kg than 20 kg and is not a very easy one handed lift.

I guess, cutting all my previous waffle and BS, I am asking what sub-20kg combos people would recommend that can cope with playing rock music in a rehearsal studio with 2 x guitars and an acoustic drum kit. And can be bought secondhand for not too much cash.

I take it that there aren't any rehearsal rooms nearby that supply backline (for a small charge)? If not, I would save the expense of buying another amp and keep on taking the TE plus the one cab, however I suppose it also depends on how often you rehearse?

[quote name='Paul S' post='724198' date='Jan 25 2010, 03:52 PM']I don't think I have have been very clear in what I am asking, sorry - I'll edit it a bit so it reads clearer.

I currently take the Trace amp and one cab (the lighter 1x15) to rehearsals. I would rather use something smaller and lighter (an easy one-handed lift). Whatever I spend on a cheap lightweight combo I would surely save on osteopath fees.

We are a rock covers band and rehearse just loud enough to keep pace with a loud drummer - that is the limiting factor, she has an acoustic kit and doesn't do 'soft' very often. It isn't a case of just turning it down a bit.

I do actually own a Peavey TKO 80 but it weighs nearer 30 kg than 20 kg and is not a very easy one handed lift.

I guess, cutting all my previous waffle and BS, I am asking what sub-20kg combos people would recommend that can cope with playing rock music in a rehearsal studio with 2 x guitars and an acoustic drum kit. And can be bought secondhand for not too much cash.[/quote]

I think your simply asking too much of technology there mate, Though it pains me to say it!

If you want sub 20KG thats loud enough for an average rock band youve got no cheaper choice than Markbass or Genz really.

You could just buy a lightweight cab and still use your trace head?

I was kind of hoping that I could do it with something along the lines of a Hartke Kick back 12, which would appear to weigh under 20kgs and not outrageously priced secondhand, maybe. Would 120W not cut the mustard, given that I don't use the trace head at over 3 for rehearsal? That is the bit I am unclear about - whether or not a combo like that can cut through. I guess not. :)

My housemate's old Kickback 15 kicked out a lot of low end, not too heavy either

Have you thought about a 2nd hand Superfly/Little Giant and a 2x10 cab?

I use a Superfly and a 1x12 4ohm cab for quiet practice/rehearsal and it does the trick, the cab was £50 and the heads go for £100 used.

Soundslive have an ex-display LG1000 at £219:
[url="http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Ashdown_Little_Giant_1000,_Ex-Display/ASH-EX-LTG1000"]http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Ashdown_Li.../ASH-EX-LTG1000[/url]

There's also an Ashdown mini-rig on here at £125:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=74307"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=74307[/url]

i suppose how loud is loud
really your problem is that combos are inherently going to be weighty. i got rid of my eden metro to get lighter weight but more trips.

The Trace elliot blx 80 is phemominally loud for 80 watts and built like tanks

why dont you go to your local music store and ask them to lend you or hire you a kickback or if I am not mistaken if you buy mail order you are entitled to 'change your mind' and send it back

[quote name='bumnote' post='724534' date='Jan 25 2010, 08:40 PM']i suppose how loud is loud
really your problem is that combos are inherently going to be weighty. i got rid of my eden metro to get lighter weight but more trips.

The Trace elliot blx 80 is phemominally loud for 80 watts and built like tanks

why dont you go to your local music store and ask them to lend you or hire you a kickback or if I am not mistaken if you buy mail order you are entitled to 'change your mind' and send it back[/quote]
I found the BLX 80 got a bit farty when you pushed it, which you would need to in this context.
I have a friend who used a Laney (150W?) wedge style amp, sorry, don't remember the model, with a 15" which is fine for practice with his covers band. Theyre pretty compact and I should think dead cheap.

Cheers
Jules

Thanks again. Some stuff to think about for sure. If I can't get what I thought I might want then maybe I need to open up the parameters a bit. Or maybe I'll just keep trundling the TE stuff about. Anyway, time for another think. Cheers all!

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='724550' date='Jan 25 2010, 08:55 PM']I found the BLX 80 got a bit farty when you pushed it, which you would need to in this context.
I have a friend who used a Laney (150W?) wedge style amp, sorry, don't remember the model, with a 15" which is fine for practice with his covers band. Theyre pretty compact and I should think dead cheap.

Cheers
Jules[/quote]

goes back to how loud is loud definition, we used to share one at a jam night and i was very impressed but at the end of it the true test is to borrow an amp and try it in anger