Why become a member? ×

What are you transcribing at the moment?

Faithless

Good to hear that.

I'd be grateful, if you'd rush through my Miles Davis solo and give me some feedback, it's in Theory n Technique section - that one is a bit more 'subtle'.. :)

Thanks once again, Rob,
Faith

Edited by Faithless

• 2 weeks later...

Another question for transcribers/pros..

How do you internalize solo, that you have transcribed? I mean, what do you do to get most of the solo - memorizing it (playing it alone with accompaniment), learning it in other(all?) keys, etc..?

I found some Dave Liebman advices on this, but, I'd like to hear yours thoughts/advices on internalizing transcription..

Cheers
Faith

I never tried to memorise an entire solo that I've transcribed.
Generally,I may come across an idea in the solo that I really like,and then I'll
move it around and try it in other keys and things like that. It may just be a one bar
thing that catches my attention and inspires me to practice it.
It's great to be able to play the entire solo,but I like taking one fragment of it and use that
as a step to other ideas.
That way,if you use that idea in a solo of your own you won't sound like you are blatantly
copying Miles or Coltrane or whoeve,but the influence will be there.

• 3 months later...

I'm transcribing some Jamey Aebersold's stuff (piano solo) from the very first volume of his book..

He recorded himself soloing on Fm/Ebm/Dm progressions, and on Bb blues - there's probably about half an hour of him soloing..

What he does on those minor progressions, is just playing diatonic stuff, no 'out' notes - wonderful stuff to transcribe for anyone to catch plain ideas, of how to sound fresh, when just playing diatonic..

On blues, he also uses basic scales, he simply switches between blues and diatonic scales - also some wonderful material..

I'd recommend it for anyone - it will expand your improv ideas, and you won't need lots of different scales to keep sounding fresh..

Just remember to learn it in all possible keys :)

Edited by Faithless

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='771117' date='Mar 11 2010, 12:40 AM']And as if by magic... [url="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/429522/Head%20for%20Backstage%20Pass%20-%20Jeff%20Beck.pdf"]here it is[/url]. If anyone who knows it would like to pass critique, please do. I haven't transcribed that much stuff before, so it'd be interesting to hear your thoughts.

(I'm a little unsure as to whether the bass actually plays those double stops in bars 28-30; it's all mushed in the mix with the clavinet. Also, the G and Bm7 chords in the main groove are only kind of implied, but I threw them in anyway. :) )[/quote]
Good work, what program did you use to transcribe that / write it out?
I finale notepad, but i'm bored of it's simplicity and inability to do a few things that i'd like it to do!

[quote name='bluesparky' post='884005' date='Jul 2 2010, 02:32 PM']Good work, what program did you use to transcribe that / write it out?
I finale notepad, but i'm bored of it's simplicity and inability to do a few things that i'd like it to do![/quote]
Cheers. I use Finale Allegro (that's the "Jazz" font -- it's a nice bit chunkier than the standard "Maestro"). It's brilliant for everything except the fact you can't change the shape of individual noteheads. Bit of a bugger, but I get round it by putting "dead" notes in brackets instead of using crossheads. You only get editable noteheads in the full-whack version, but that's the only thing I'm missing at the moment, and it's not worth US$400 for me.

I would've gone for the cheaper Finale PrintMusic, but it can't do additive time signatures. Deal-breaker for me. :rolleyes: No, seriously, that was the only thing that stopped me... and it cost me an extra US$100. :)

Got about 5 things on the go at the moment. Jeff Berlin's 'Joe Frazier' (main theme only - can't be bothered with the rest) and 'Palewell Park', Dave Holland's part on Kenny Wheeler's 'Music for Large Ensemble' and a couple of other odds and sods.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished.. :)

I've made a quick rush through it.. What a wicked bassline!

If's anyone's after dipping into varies styles, it's a must to learn - a nice example of pure Pop/RnB stuff..

transcription..:

[attachment=54533:B_Spears___Toxic.pdf]

Currently working on,

Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke
Reelin' In The Years - Steely Dan
How To Save a Life - The Fray
Use Somebody - Kings Of Leon
A Thousand Miles - Vanessa Carlton
Ironic - Alanis Morissette
Who Know Where The Time Goes? - Fairport Convention
One - Mary J. Blige& U2

Got to have them all written out with the dots & the chords.

Chords & Structure are done for all of them, and half of them have the dots :) Not too bad i think for a nights work.

• 1 month later...

Just finished transcribing Pino's line on John Mayer's 'Good Love is On The Way", from 'Where the Light Is' live recording..

The man is very busy with his playing..

BTW, how does he get away with such a crap tone? He's a nightmare to transcribe properly, very undefined tone (and phrasing?), I had to use all possible tricks I know to bring those notes to the surface..

I'll make an PDF of it, and bring it here..

easy
Faith

Edited by Faithless

[quote name='Faithless' post='898162' date='Jul 18 2010, 04:23 PM']Finished.. :)

I've made a quick rush through it.. What a wicked bassline!

If's anyone's after dipping into varies styles, it's a must to learn - a nice example of pure Pop/RnB stuff..

transcription..:

[attachment=54533:B_Spears___Toxic.pdf][/quote]

A friend of mine's band do a great cover of it… Have a listen -
[url="http://www.myspace.com/otherleft"]http://www.myspace.com/otherleft[/url]

I'm working on 'Come See About Me' by the Supremes, but given the quality of recording its proving harder than expected!

Glad to see this thread is still ticking over...

Recently done:

Bob Berg's solo on 'Snakes'

Herbie Hancock/Freddie Hubbard's solos on 'Cantaloupe Island'

Bob Mintzer's solo on 'The Chicken'

Ray Brown on Oscar Peterson's 'Night Train'

Currently working on a Janek Gwizdala solo on Song For Bilbao and a bunch of Pino stuff from D'Angelo Live in Stockholm - and yes Faithless, he's a nightmare to transcribe!

Just finished the Baby Charles version of The Arctic Monkey's track "I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor" (which I've arranged for a salsa band, rather than the Afro Beat funk of the original recording).

Have to ask - what tools and techniques do you use to bring up the bass tone?

Tom and lanark..

If you ever get to transcribe cats like Pino, I advise to you the following (well, some can take it as a bit of 'cheating', but then, go try transcribe Pino, buddies!!!)

I use Transcribe program, and, in the Tuning section you can change the tuning in octaves, rather than semitones..

So, hook the recording up one octave (the tuning of song actually will remain the same, dig it?) and you're in bass heaven - 10 times clearer, bass will be 'in your face', vocalists become cats, though :)

When I transcribed Pino, at some places I even needed to hook the recording up [i]two [/i]octaves (it's possible to do on Transcribe program..) - Tom, you can try it, you don't need to suffer for the old man's tone..

Edited by Faithless

[quote name='Faithless' post='932803' date='Aug 22 2010, 03:07 PM']Not writing it out doesn't count as transcribing, bro.. :)[/quote]

Not true at all - a few words of wisdom from Mr Gary Willis:

"I did a lot of transcribing. I wasn't very good at the notation side, but eventually got there. You're better off staying away from transcribing bass players, they tend to stick to things that bass players can do, imagine that.The main thing is to transcribe with the goal of not having to write it out but have it translate directly to you instrument."

Whatever it takes to actually PLAY the stuff - rather than 'know more than you can show' - is surely what transcribing is ultimately all about? Just my opinion anyway.

Mike

Yeah.. don't mess otherwise a moderator will stick up for me :)

only kidding

I'm blessed with the memory of an elephant, so its very rare i write anything down, if i do, is a random stream of chords symbols, rhythm marks and the swear words lol.

[quote name='urb' post='932806' date='Aug 22 2010, 03:13 PM']Not true at all - a few words of wisdom from Mr Gary Willis:

"I did a lot of transcribing. I wasn't very good at the notation side, but eventually got there. You're better off staying away from transcribing bass players, they tend to stick to things that bass players can do, imagine that.The main thing is to transcribe with the goal of not having to write it out but have it translate directly to you instrument."

Whatever it takes to actually PLAY the stuff - rather than 'know more than you can show' - is surely what transcribing is ultimately all about? Just my opinion anyway.

Mike[/quote]