Why become a member? ×

TC Electronics Polytune Tuner

Dood

Dammit! Still hasn't turned up yet. Freakin' mail services! Looks like it'll be next week before I get it... and I was really looking forward to using it and integrating it into my setup this weekend. Really quite frustrated by this, and i'm not normally annoyed by such things.

[quote name='mcgraham' post='765289' date='Mar 5 2010, 03:49 PM']Dammit! Still hasn't turned up yet. Freakin' mail services! Looks like it'll be next week before I get it... and I was really looking forward to using it and integrating it into my setup this weekend. Really quite frustrated by this, and i'm not normally annoyed by such things.[/quote]

And it always seems to happen on a Friday to spoil the weekend and make you wait at least two days longer.

Don't you know it! :) What annoys me most about mail services is not so much when they're late, but their incredible inconsistency! Sometimes I can post something on the cheap, at 5pm to go to the far ends of Britain and it arrives the next afternoon. Other times I'm post something (or usually waiting for something!) first thing in the morning, pay first class-insured-the works, and it turns after the following weekend. At least if they always took several days to deliver something it wouldn't be 'late', it would just be 'normal'.

[quote name='mcgraham' post='765305' date='Mar 5 2010, 04:02 PM']Don't you know it! :) What annoys me most about mail services is not so much when they're late, but their incredible inconsistency! Sometimes I can post something on the cheap, at 5pm to go to the far ends of Britain and it arrives the next afternoon. Other times I'm post something (or usually waiting for something!) first thing in the morning, pay first class-insured-the works, and it turns after the following weekend. At least if they always took several days to deliver something it wouldn't be 'late', it would just be 'normal'.[/quote]

Yeah, its like they know.

Arrived this morning! About time... :) Anyway, can't wait to test it out.

Now that I've got it in my hands, I will say that it look a bit tackier in the flesh than in the photos. The paint feels like that paint you used to find on 60s-70s style metal clothesline poles, the ourdoor hardwearing ceramic paint? Anyway, still looks good just not as slick as the images made it look.

I will report back once i've used it. I'll be practicing wednesday night with the band as well, so will let you know how it fares live too.

Used it last night. Supremely accurate. I wanted a new tuner anyway as my Korg Dt-10 is a bit slow to pick up quick changes in pitch when used for monitoring fretless intonation. This thing, however, is very very quick, and very very accurate. The strobe tuner is excellent. I was a little worried that the wide spaced LEDs would limit the granularity/resolution of the tuner's display of pitch, but it's not just an 'on-off' type array of LEDs, so that's not a problem.

The polytune (for guitar at least) is very good. It's also particularly good for tuning up a floyd rose guitar, as you get a nice overview of which strings are being pulled massively out as you tune each string one at a time. It's also very good for checking everything is in tune once you've done each string. I wouldn't say it saved me much time, but I think with practice, like any tool, it will become a lot quicker and a timesaver in the future.

• 5 weeks later...

[quote]Is it £20 better than a PitchBlack?[/quote]
IMO, yes.

[quote]would it cope with a 12 string guitar?[/quote]
No.

[quote]can it do guitars that are tuned down a tone[/quote]
Yes. It can be set to E, Eb, D, Db, C or B standard tuning.

[quote]I'd be interested in getting one if it can do bass... and down one tone[/quote]
It does bass, even when all your strings are strummed. Can also be set to E, Eb, D, Db, C or B tuning as per guitar.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='807142' date='Apr 15 2010, 12:55 PM']My Boss tuner dying after 20+ years is what prompted me! :)[/quote]

Good call, it must be a magical thing to see a Boss tuner die after all those years.
It needs to go in a box and be kept

[quote name='geo_bass' post='815457' date='Apr 22 2010, 08:58 PM']So whats the opinion on this pedal for anyone who has one?

Going to go try it out next weekend :)[/quote]

I'm sure that there are pedal tuners that do the job cheaper but it's done the job intended and is probably an improvement on my Boss TU12... if it lasts half as long as my old Boss unit I'll be happy!

[quote name='modulusq6' post='815628' date='Apr 22 2010, 11:43 PM']I don't see the point.

What's it doing that my Pitchblack isn't ? The Pitchblack being £30 or thereabouts cheaper too.

Isn't it just a gimmick ?[/quote]

Someone who owns a Free/£5 PlanetWaves tuner could well ask the same question of your Pitchblack! What does it do that their Free/£5 tuner doesn't... they all simply give you a reference so that you can tell if your guitar/bass is in tune. :)

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='815469' date='Apr 22 2010, 09:05 PM']Fantastic - don't bother using my rack tuner at all anymore![/quote]

I agree, they're brilliant!

We discovered why the guitarist has trouble tuning. As he turns a machinehead the neck on his custom Gibson SG shifts so all the other strings go out of tune. He's got small hands so he had his SG made with a really skinny neck profile.

saw one of these in the flesh the other day, im very impressed with the idea and other cleverness to it, just wish they'd built in it a better case, wasnt too crazy about the switch either..
would be awesome if they made a more rugged "pro" version or something.

[quote name='JMT3781' post='817872' date='Apr 25 2010, 10:20 AM']saw one of these in the flesh the other day, im very impressed with the idea and other cleverness to it, just wish they'd built in it a better case, wasnt too crazy about the switch either..
would be awesome if they made a more rugged "pro" version or something.[/quote]

[quote name='bartelby' post='818331' date='Apr 25 2010, 07:06 PM']They're actually pretty sturdy. The switch seems no different to any other switch on any other pedal.[/quote]

I've got to say that I agree with bartelby that the casing feels as solid as a solid thing and the switch is pretty robust and solid!