Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz MIJ (Import)

simon73

I have been looking at the Ishibashi website all week (On and off). I have decided to go for the Fender Jazz, JB75-100US . I really like it, probably because it's made with Ash. Before I order it early next week I just wanted to know what other people thought, especially those of you who play Jazz Bases.

Thanks again

Simon

Color : Natural
< main specification > Body Ash
Neck Maple, Oval Shape, 432mm Scale
Fretboard Maple One Piece or Rosewood, 184R
Frets 20, Vintage Style
Nut Width 38mm
Pickups J-Bass Vintage (U.S.A.) x2
Control&Switch 2 Vol, 1 Tone
Bridge Vintage
Machine Heads Regular Type
Hardware Chrome
Pickguard 3-Ply White (NAT) or 3-Ply Black (3TS)

< pick guard of body color and standard equipment >

Body color Maple fingerplate model Rosewood fingerplate model
3TS White 3 Ply Three black plies
NAT White 3 Ply Three black plies
LAS White 3 Ply White 3 Ply
OWB Three Beccou handle plies Three Beccou handle plies
BLK White 3 Ply Three black plies
VWH White 3 Ply Three black plies .

Edited by simon73

You can't go wrong with a MIJ Jazz, as good as a USA in my opinion. I'm gassing after a 62 fretless.
Do you know about this chap:

[url="http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/index.htm"]http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/index.htm[/url]

I've seen some nice stuff on there.

The guy at fareast (John?? I think) is a really nice bloke and has some nice examples of second hand Jap basses.

I can't recommend Ishibashi enough.. they maybe on the otherside of the world, but they managed to get a bass in to the UK in about 5 days for me.. thats pretty good going! lol

Thanks WW. I will send him a message. Yes I have seen the far east website before. It looks quite good, think I will stick with Ishibashi. Thankyou dood, your Importing guitars thread has been really helpfull, its given me the confidence to go for it. I have decided that I will order that one next week.

If it comes in 5 days that will be very good going. I bought a camera of the web for my wifes birthday and that took a week to come (It was a UK supplier as well).

[quote name='dood' post='6897' date='May 25 2007, 11:17 PM']I can't recommend Ishibashi enough.. they maybe on the otherside of the world, but they managed to get a bass in to the UK in about 5 days for me.. thats pretty good going! lol[/quote]

and me too :)

I'd go for this beauty, personally

Edited by BlockInlayMan

The main thing to worry about with the Ash basses is that sometimes you can end up with a boat anchor. The alder ones seem to bit a bit more consistent in their weights. I've seen the (ash) jazz ones go from 9 to well over 12 pounds.

Edited by BB2000

Don't know about the 75 but the '62 is lovely, for some reason it's cheaper too. Maybe the lack of black inlays. I've seen the wood on these listed as "light ash". I have heard of a few people preferring the '62 sound wise, but the '75 looks the shizzle with the blocks/binding.

Sound all good, thanks for the advice all! Was going to order it today but I have been paying all my bills! Think I have enough now to order it, so will probably go for it today or thurs.

Edited by simon73

[quote name='Muppet' post='8905' date='May 29 2007, 11:40 PM']I had one and it was a beauty! Superb build quality and sounded brilliant. You won't regret it (although the tuners were not the best)

[/quote]

+1

Japanese Fenders are superb, and like the Marcus Miller jazz, the only downside is the tuners, replace them and enjoy.

• 1 month later...

I have been um-ing and ah-ing about getting a CIJ Jazz bass for a few weeks. I think i have setteled on a 62 re-issue in vintage white with matching heastock from Far east guitars. Been emailing John today and it looks like im going to pull the trigger on it. Should arrive in a week or so :-)

Nick