Why become a member? ×

Hmmmm! am I just suspicious by nature?

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='709136' date='Jan 11 2010, 06:21 PM']I agree, I recall seeing this one. However, this is a newly registered user so I wonder if it is a scammer copying an earlier listing (idiot could have at least copied a proper MM) or if it is the same guy using a different account as he doesn't want to sully an account that he has, that has decent feedback (you can legitimately have 2 accounts)! :)[/quote]

Did the original listing sell? I had a quick look for it but couldn't find it, wasn't long ago though. I seem to remember something about a member on here lending his MM out years ago and the neck was copied? Might have been the Bass Doc? Probably just rambling!

If it did sell then this might be the unlucky buyer looking to offload it to an equally gullible eBayer

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='709475' date='Jan 11 2010, 10:06 PM']On the subject of the neck.............from what can be seen of it, it looks VERY like the neck on my 77 Ray .

If the pick up is original, could the control panel / pots be original ?? If so, well worth £200, in fact a positive steal, and wacking into a nice Warmoth body !!!

S[/quote]

Some of the parts are original and the neck does have a value but bids were pulled that indicate folks were prepared to pay big money... in which case some fools may still think it is all MM and bid £1000+

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='709682' date='Jan 12 2010, 07:21 AM']Some of the parts are original and the neck does have a value but bids were pulled that indicate folks were prepared to pay big money... in which case some fools may still think it is all MM and bid £1000+[/quote]
To the seller's credit (and I'm feeling particularly charitable today :) ), the very fact that he's added this...
[quote]I have had a couple of messages from ebayers who are saying this guitar is not a music man guitar and have asked me to let all know about it. Like i have said in my description i know nothing about guitars and cant play them i came across the guitar in a clearence. Now weather these ebayers are after a cheap music man bass by trying to put people off and there is nothing wrong with it or they are telling the truth i really dont know. So i will leave it up to you to deside .[/quote]
...makes me think he genuinely knows nothing. Anyone who was suspicious before they read that would then dutifully run a mile, and those who weren't at all suspicious would then feel they should at least look into it. Hats off to him. Many eBay sellers wouldn't do that.

Here's what he sent me:

"I have put in a revision and have said a couple of ebayers have saidits not a music man but i have over 50 watchers and hundreds of views on his an only 2 people saying this is not the real thing could this be a hussle im asking myself or have you and the other guy made the mistake.
anyway ive put it in and just let them deside for themselfs ."

Sounds reasonable enough, maybe he bought it as a genuine 'Ray? Again the suspect spelling and grammar suggests he's most likely quite young
I let him know that it had been listed before and there was quite a few people both times that confirmed it wasn't all present and correct. Thanked him for changing the listing too, not many sellers do

It looks like a nice enough bass and i'm not really a Stingray fan, if the neck is genuine then it should still fetch a good price

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='710143' date='Jan 12 2010, 04:08 PM']...[b]makes me think he genuinely knows nothing[/b]. Anyone who was suspicious before they read that would then dutifully run a mile, and those who weren't at all suspicious would then feel they should at least look into it. Hats off to him. [b]Many eBay sellers wouldn't do that.[/b][/quote]
Really? It all amounts to part of the "I know nothing so don't come crying to me when you find out for yourself" lie. At the end of the day it's hooky, he's been told it's hooky and the tiniest bit of effort from the seller just comparing it to others on the net would prove to him that it's hooky.

btw have you guys seen how far the black and white one is going. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='710190' date='Jan 12 2010, 04:30 PM']Really? It all amounts to part of the "I know nothing so don't come crying to me when you find out for yourself" lie.[/quote]
That's what the tired old cynic at the heart of my being tells me. I'm just trying to ignore him a bit more these days. :)

[quote name='molan' post='710184' date='Jan 12 2010, 04:29 PM']Anyone else here told him via EBay that they don't think it's genuine?

I did so it would only take 2 other people to make his claim of "two" a little suspect. . .[/quote]

Yeah i did, i think he's telling porkies there tbh

He didn't seem like an ass and was being quite reasonable. If he is being honest and he paid quite a bit for what he thought was a rare and valuable Stingray then he's most likely going to be a bit gutted and isn't going to want to accept he's lost a large chunk of money.
He might be trying to cut his losses with the ambiguous description regarding the validity of the bass

[quote name='molan' post='710184' date='Jan 12 2010, 04:29 PM']Anyone else here told him via EBay that they don't think it's genuine?

I did so it would only take 2 other people to make his claim of "two" a little suspect. . .[/quote]

Yes I've just given him chapter and verse about it and pointed him to the Musicman history web site.

Hmmmm....

With the 2nd revision to the listing he seemed to be using the neck date and stamped tuners to validate the authenticity of the entire bass

I mentioned to him that the neck looked kosher, it's the body and hardware that were suspect. No mention of that in the listing

Still, not a terrible price if the winning bidder knows this and needs a pre-EB neck and tuners.