Why become a member? ×

Fender '51 re-issue - bridge and pick-up query

leemarc1970

Evening all

Bought a sunburst Fender '51 P bass re-issue a few weeks ago. First Fender I've bought, but really pleased with it. Feels lovely, easy to play, looks nice, love the neck and small frets and nice tone.

However, the metal has started to peel away on the bridge, which looks a bit sh*tty. Was thinking about a new bridge as the original is a primitive, two saddle job - and although set just right at the minute- I'm wondering how good it is for sustain and intonation.

I know the Badass ones are supposedly the best - but they're also more than £100 , £50 plus even on Ebay.

Any others anyone can recommend? Seen a few Fender replacement ones on Ebay for around £5, which my head tells me will probably be crap - and yet, they look a damn site better than the the bridge that's on there at the minute!

Also, the E string sounds occasionally flat. The strings are fairly new, so pretty sure it's not that, and wondered if it was maybe the pick-up?
I've been looking at the Seymour Duncan SPCb3 replacement pick-up - anyone got any advice there?

thanks for any help you can give me

lee

Gotoh, Hipshot, Schaller...usual suspects do a Fender replacements. Look [url="http://www.allparts.uk.com/online-shop/allparts-guitar-amp-parts/bridges/bass-bridges/bass-bridges-4-string-singles-c-277_1_2_3_4.html"]here on Allparts[/url] for examples of what I mean.

Replacing the pickup won't do anything if the E is actually going flat. That's either the tuner slipping a bit (or the string not wound properly on it) or the string stretching (if they're new and not been stretched properly).

This thread should be in Repairs/Technical issues imo. Welcome to BC though, go post a hello in the Introductions section :)

Edited by Buzz

I was going to recommend the bridge bigjohn has for sale, although I didn't know he had one for sale!

I'm sorry to hear you are having some issues. I have one of these basses and it's great. I've had no issues. I actually got a SD antiquity pup for mine as I bidnapped a cheap one on EBay so have my original spare if you get stuck.... however I think change the bridge first and hopefully you'll have a sweet bass. Problem solved. I don't want to take money off people unnecesarily! The two saddle bridges obviously aren't as good as 4 saddle ones which is why Leo changed them. They're not terrible though and I actually have 2 basses with the old 2 saddle set up.

These string through the body so you'd be looking for something like a Badass III, One of the new Fender jobbies, possibly the Gotoh 203 but I can;t remember off the top of my head.

Wilkinson also do one tht looks similar but allows you to set the intonation on each string

The Fender pickup is quite good. i used a quarter pounder on my Gold warmoth bass but the daddy is the Lollar one but that's quite expensive in the grand scheme of things but its very very good.

I have a lollar in my split coil Pbass

Edited by Delberthot

Sacrilege :rolleyes:
The whole point to a '51 RI is retro styling. If you bang a modern bridge on it you risk messing it up entirely. ... ahem... IMHO.

Wilkinson do a decent thru body, twin brass saddle version of the '51 Fender job that swivels (oh yes :brow:) adding an extra dimension to setting intonation. I have the top loader version on Betty (see sig). Ok they are a little bit fancier than the plain original but they retain the overall look and function well.

Alternatively, fit modern bridge "xyz" then bung on a '50's ashtray over it to hide it. :)

The quiet E string is annoying if you get one. Rumour has it that the poles are weakened on purpose to emulate a pup that is over 50 years old - who knows. Test you pole pieces with something small but magnetic (say a paper clip) if your E pole feels substantially weaker (takes less effort to pull off) than the rest then it's tattied.
With the money you saved from not buying a Badass I recommend getting a Lollar pup flown over or maybe a Lindy Fralin (slightly cheaper). LF even to a split single which might excite if you have hum issues or fancy sounding a bit more trad P.

HTH

Thanks for all the pointers, chaps - much appreciated.
(Apologies, also, for posting in the wrong spot.)
Big John - might be interested, but I seem to have found the same bridge on the bass parts direct website for about the same money, brand new (?)

and Buzz, apologies, i wasn't explaining myself very well - when I said the E string was flat, i meant soundwise, not tonally.
I'll definitely try the paper clip thing - but not now. My boiler has given up the ghost - typically on the coldest day of the year - so i'm walking round the house with bloody gloves on. bah.

I have been considering a new pickup in my 51. I have a Wizard Thumper in my Squier P Bass, which I think is awesome, so I was thinking about asking Andy at Wizard Pickups to make up a single coil- although not as overwound as a thumper.

I love the stock bridge however.

Left mine totally stock and love it. i feel no need to change the PU, mine sounds a lot like the originals. Adjusting the PU hieght on these is a bit hit and miss with regards to getting it just right - have a play around, but not too near the strings. When yo get these just right they really thump!

Your flat E might be the string itself? I use Ernie Ball 110 flats on mine - no dramas.

[quote name='leemarc1970' post='704691' date='Jan 7 2010, 08:05 PM']Big John - might be interested, but I seem to have found the same bridge on the bass parts direct website for about the same money, brand new (?)[/quote]

Hiya, £38 quid odd isn't £30!

Could maybe go a little lower, mine is basically brand new as well, I've never fitted it so the bridge itself is new, I only used the saddles and not for very long really. There's not a mark on them.