Why become a member? ×

I'm looking for a new bass!

HoweDy

I have been playing bass for around 4 years now, since i was about 13. I started off with my dads vintage bass guitar which was horrible to play really. I then had my work experience about 2 years ago at a music shop in stafford, this is when i bought my second bass; a Washburn XB 120. The Washburn was 100 pounds and it played like a treat considering how much it is worth, i would definitely recommend it as a bass for a person just starting to play. However i have got to the point where the pick ups have lost most of there tone and there is a dodgey bend in the neck. At the moment my Elixir strings are probably worth more than it!

So here is my dilemma. In a couple of months i will have around 600 pounds to spend on a new bass. I have been told to look out for Fender Jazz's MIJ because they are apparently made pretty well. And also I discovered the Musicman Sub Bass which look very appealing! Now which one would be best for someone who plays more funk and jazz style music?

cheers

Carl

Edited by Johngh
Unwanted text

If you decide to go for a Jazz bass, try to find a store that has both the MIJ and USA so you can compare.

I found there was a big difference between USA and Mexican, but MIJ is supposed to be very good. Still, better to listen and make your own mind up. Made in USA will be slightly over your budget, but you could always look at second hand if you do decide it sounds much better.

Good luck,

Pieter

Edited by pieterv

[quote name='HoweDy' post='702021' date='Jan 5 2010, 07:41 PM']I have been playing bass for around 4 years now, since i was about 13. I started off with my dads vintage bass guitar which was horrible to play really. I then had my work experience about 2 years ago at a music shop in stafford, this is when i bought my second bass; a Washburn XB 120. The Washburn was 100 pounds and it played like a treat considering how much it is worth, i would definitely recommend it as a bass for a person just starting to play. However i have got to the point where the pick ups have lost most of there tone and there is a dodgey bend in the neck. At the moment my Elixir strings are probably worth more than it!

So here is my dilemma. In a couple of months i will have around 600 pounds to spend on a new bass. I have been told to look out for Fender Jazz's MIJ because they are apparently made pretty well. And also I discovered the Musicman Sub Bass which look very appealing! Now which one would be best for someone who plays more funk and jazz style music?

cheers

Carl

HOW DO I MOVE THIS TO GENERAL BASS TOPIC! SORRY[/quote]
Just restart the thread on General Forums - nobody will bite you!

I have Highway 1 Jazz, and a Geddy Lee Jazz, both around your budget, although perhaps good second hand ones for under £600.
Both are excellent bases.
The Geddy has more growl, but also more weight.
The Highway is a smoother sound, and actually relatively light.

As I said, both great basses.

Try putting out an appeal to bassists relatively local to you, so you can try them.

I live in Wigan, if you are ever anywhere near, email me a day or so in advance and you will be quite welcome to have a go on them.

Cheers,
Karl.

The Musicman SUB has been discontinued I believe,they still pop up secondhand
though.

I noticed from your myspace link that you are in Stoke-your best bet is to pop into
tha Academy of Sound and have a word with Pete (who posts on here as pete academy),
and while you are there nip across the road to the Rhythm Foundry and have some lessons
from me :rolleyes:

No offence meant-just touting for business. :)

For 600 quid mate, you're looking at being able to get a really nice bass on the second hand market. If its a Jazz you're after, then a used USA Jazz should be in reach for that money. I'd say have a look at the Sandbergs though too. There are (were?) a couple on here, and with Musicman and Jazz style pickups in some of them, youre getting a lot of bass for your money...

[quote name='Pkomor' post='702545' date='Jan 6 2010, 10:27 AM']+1

lots of stingrays going for only a bit above that sort of price.[/quote]

+2

If you like SUBs then 600 quid and some haggling will get you a "real" StingRay (used) I strongly suspect (or pretty damn close). That's a proper bargain :)

There's loads of other quality gear going in the for-sale section for around that sort of cash. It's just knowing what you want. I don't suppose you would be disappointed with any of the basses you mention.

[quote name='Doddy' post='702104' date='Jan 5 2010, 08:50 PM']The Musicman SUB has been discontinued I believe,they still pop up secondhand
though.

I noticed from your myspace link that you are in Stoke-your best bet is to pop into
tha Academy of Sound and have a word with Pete (who posts on here as pete academy),
and while you are there nip across the road to the Rhythm Foundry and have some lessons
from me :rolleyes:

No offence meant-just touting for business. :)[/quote]

haha! i occasionally have band practices at the Rhythm Foundry! its a great place, i will be going into academy of sound though just to see what they have available and to see if i like any of them

cheers!

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='702554' date='Jan 6 2010, 10:35 AM']+2

If you like SUBs then 600 quid and some haggling will get you a "real" StingRay (used) I strongly suspect (or pretty damn close). That's a proper bargain :)

There's loads of other quality gear going in the for-sale section for around that sort of cash. It's just knowing what you want. I don't suppose you would be disappointed with any of the basses you mention.[/quote]

cheers for the advice! I think i may save up for longer and bag myself a stinger! Although depends how much longer i can cope with this rubbish Washburn im using at the moment!

[quote name='HoweDy' post='704730' date='Jan 7 2010, 08:35 PM']haha! i occasionally have band practices at the Rhythm Foundry! its a great place, i will be going into academy of sound though just to see what they have available and to see if i like any of them

cheers![/quote]

Well,come by and say hi then.

[quote name='HoweDy' post='704734' date='Jan 7 2010, 08:37 PM']cheers for the advice! I think i may save up for longer and bag myself a stinger! Although depends how much longer i can cope with this rubbish Washburn im using at the moment![/quote]

All worth a punt/grovel.....
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=68740&hl=stingray"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...amp;hl=stingray[/url]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=67729&hl=stingray"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...amp;hl=stingray[/url]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=70123&hl=stingray"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...amp;hl=stingray[/url]

etc.

There's at least one SUB for well under your budget too.

[quote name='HoweDy' post='702021' date='Jan 5 2010, 07:41 PM']However i have got to the point where the pick ups have lost most of there tone and there is a dodgey bend in the neck.
cheers

Carl[/quote]

Now, to the best of my knowledge, pickups don't lose their tone - there's usually a connection or pot problem, or the strings need replaced. How long have your strings been on?

Most times (but not all) necks can be straightened.

So, either see the blokes mentioned above, or toddle down to Loughborough with it & I'll give it a look. I'm sure it can be vastly improved if not completely fixed. Better to have a backup than none.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='705228' date='Jan 8 2010, 10:24 AM']Now, to the best of my knowledge, pickups don't lose their tone - there's usually a connection or pot problem, or the strings need replaced. How long have your strings been on?

Most times (but not all) necks can be straightened.

So, either see the blokes mentioned above, or toddle down to Loughborough with it & I'll give it a look. I'm sure it can be vastly improved if not completely fixed. Better to have a backup than none.

G.[/quote]

Strings are perfect, not long had them on, and they are elixirs which i know people don't like but they work wonders for me. Well im not one to know about pickups but i no that they have changed in the time that i have had them, or maybe i have just become more aware of these kind of things :s and with regards to the neck, ive already had it checked out by a couple of people and it is not fixable.