Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4001

EBS_freak

The black one was sold... now the fireglow...

April 1979, all original with the exception of D string tuning head (which has been replaced with a genuine Rickenbacker replacement - I still have the remains of the original which I will include).

The front is in pretty good condition... the back not so - bucklerash from a previous owner's low slung rock moves!

Top examples are going for £1800... so I'll entertain offers around £1250

I'll add some more pics in due course.

Edited by EBS_freak

A few questions (not wanting to get your hopes up) as I am in the market for a Rickenbacker Bass and can realistically could pay cash this week if the right deal is there. I'm looking at a couple already but like the age of this and you are only a couple of hours from me.

1) In the initial post you state you have more pics to follow? The one attached is ok but if the back is suffering buckle rash and the tuner has been replaced I'd need to see what this looks like. Also close up shots of the bass.

2) What's the weight of this one?

3) Any history? How long have you owned it etc. Why are you selling?

4) Original case?

Thanks in advance, Tim

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='707690' date='Jan 10 2010, 02:20 PM']A few questions (not wanting to get your hopes up) as I am in the market for a Rickenbacker Bass and can realistically could pay cash this week if the right deal is there. I'm looking at a couple already but like the age of this and you are only a couple of hours from me.

1) In the initial post you state you have more pics to follow? The one attached is ok but if the back is suffering buckle rash and the tuner has been replaced I'd need to see what this looks like. Also close up shots of the bass.

4) Original case?

Thanks in advance, Tim[/quote]

Et moi.
(s**t, I didn't know I'd paid any attention in french, but it just like, came to me)

OK... here's the questioned answered

More pictures have been added. I've tried to capture the minimal wear on the front of the bass. As you can see, the back has seen a fair bit of action with regards to buckle rash. If you want any particular areas photographed let me know. I'm being honest - this is a gigged instrument that has seen some action and so I'm not hiding any battle scars!

I haven't got means of measuring the exact weight, but by doing a comparison test with basses that I do know the weight of, I would put this at about 8 or 9 pounds. Its certainly not a heavy example. I've gigged it for 2 hour gigs with no problems.

Not much, I know that it is a genuine April 1979 example, PM me for serial number if you want it. The only part not original is the replacement tuner which is an new replacement from Rickenbacker (you can just make out the Rickenbacker branding). I came to have it as a payment towards a debt owed. I've played it for a while and whilst its a great player and sounds great, I'm always using my GBs and Jazzes. No problems with the neck shifting on this example and it rocks out great - a real dependable bass that looks the part.

4) Original case?

Sadly not, which combined along with the buckle rash... gives the price. I may be convinced to throw in a gig bag!

[quote name='budget bassist' post='718859' date='Jan 20 2010, 12:00 PM']sorry to be pedantic, but is that not the A string tuner which has been replaced?![/quote]

You are right, the headstock in the photo is flipped. It is the A.

"Rules and Guidelines for the Marketplace", "Guidelines for BUYERS", Rule 5:

[quote]If you believe the price of the item is too cheap/expensive, then please [b]PM the seller[/b] as to why. [b]Do not ridicule or undermine the seller by posting how much you think it's worth or how much it can be gotten for elsewhere[/b], the laws of supply and demand will determine if the item sells at that price.[/quote]
Or in otherwords... if you have an issue with the price, query it in private & do not wreck the thread.