Why become a member? ×

London region bash 2010

essexbasscat

Hi Molan

could you ask the caretaker if there is a cold storage facility for food please ? some salad stuff, milk and soft drinks would keep better there for the day.

The taxi service near the station does free things up some

cheers

T

At the last SE bash the food and drink (just doughnuts and muffins, water tea and coffee) was on a help-yourself honesty box system. If we stick it in eye range of wherever we're putting reception that would probably be OK, unless we are expecting hordes? Indeed if we put that, the raffle, the bring-and-buy and checkin all physically together then one person can probably manage the whole lot most of the time. I'm happy enough to do a stint of nannying it as well as selling raffle tickets. If we can get half a dozen volunteers none of us would need to spend long each.

And/or we could perhaps do a car run to the shops to buy sandwiches on an order basis at lunchtime?

Get the caretaker onside whatever you do! :)

oh and a ps - perhaps some kind soul might consider doing a ferry service from the station early in the day? Apart from the spirit of cameraderie, it might encourage attendance!

Edited by Netballman

Okay, I hope to be going but can't make a definite commitment at the moment (free weekends have been a bit of a rarity recently).

If I come, I'll bring my Rob Allen Deep 5, plus Markbass combo (121P ?) and probably one other bass.

If you like, take a look at the gear link in my sig and tell me what I should bring.

Very interested in basses that are some combination of fretless, 5-stringed, and hollow ... don't know if there are any more of those coming besides my RA ?

Andy

Still hoping I can come, will bring my fretless p-bass (which is in.. dire need of a setup!) and my fretted jazz. My rig is too big for me to be bothered with, so I will just be bringing the instruments.

I've become incredibly lazy recently, oh dear! :)

As far as it sounds, me and my girlfriend will most likely be coming up ^_^ I can definitely bring a Lakland 44-01 and my MarkBass SA450, and as long as my girlfriend's Fender 1975 Jazz Bass reissue is back from repair that'll come with us too.

Another question as well - if her cabinet hasn't sold by then, we can bring her MarkBass Classic 104 cabinet up to a view to somebody possibly buying it. What was the protocol decided for the whole 'For Sale' stuff on the day?

As far as I know, selling things on the day is very much a loose concept i.e. if you want to bring something to sell, jump right in and bring it ! (but be prepared to take it away again if no-one buys it ! )

As a suggestion, stuff can be listed elsewhere as being available to buy at the London bass bash. If someone agrees to buy, then it's a collection deal.

All ideas and suggestions around this topic are welcome of course. It's our event, let's make it what we want it to be :)

cheers

T

Regarding "for sale" can I suggest a two-pronged approach :)

For small items, let's have a "bring and buy" table where stuff can be left out for viewing and priced - then we can either take money for items and hold it for sellers, or simply hold contact details.

For bigger items (rigs, cabs etc) just put them in the main hall and stick a "for sale" notice on 'em?

[quote name='Netballman' post='863524' date='Jun 10 2010, 05:51 PM']Regarding "for sale" can I suggest a two-pronged approach :)

For small items, let's have a "bring and buy" table where stuff can be left out for viewing and priced - then we can either take money for items and hold it for sellers, or simply hold contact details.

For bigger items (rigs, cabs etc) just put them in the main hall and stick a "for sale" notice on 'em?[/quote]

Sounds like a workable plan. The only snag I can see with this is it may take someone to monitor this table and one or two other things. To date, we havn't had too many volunteers to do stuff on the day.

T

Ok Jack, here goes

[b]Security[/b]

Two or three sharp - eyed and security concious people just to make sure that everyone's gear is totally safe while their attention is distracted.

We can all suggest ideas for this topic (probably a good thing) i.e. some means of identifying people at the bash so that potential cruising thieves can be readily and easily identified.
This type may turn up with an empty case and hope to fill it, then walk out looking perfectly natural.

[b]Please, please give up some ideas about security for the day[/b]

[b]Food[/b]

The nearest shops are at least a ten (or more) minute walk away, which is a long time to be away from your own gear while it's on display. Additionally, there are some folks that will not cope well with a quick 'vending machine' diet for the day. Me included.

There is a fridge/cold storage facility on site for our use for the day. I will bring a boiler for tea and coffee.

It would be great if someone would step up and take charge of the food for the day.

These are the two major roles that come to mind. If anyone can think of anything else, please speak up !!!

:)

T

Ok folks..

Jakesbass has agreed to do a Q and A session if he is free for the day and there is demand for him to do it.

Jake has some very valuable experience as a bass player and previous comments here on BC have all been very positive. I for one, would like to hear more from Jake, as I'm sure there's loads I could learn from him.

So, what would you all like to ask Jake ?

Suggestions please......

T

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='865876' date='Jun 13 2010, 12:36 PM']Ok folks..

Jakesbass has agreed to do a Q and A session if he is free for the day and there is demand for him to do it.

Jake has some very valuable experience as a bass player and previous comments here on BC have all been very positive. I for one, would like to hear more from Jake, as I'm sure there's loads I could learn from him.

So, what would you all like to ask Jake ?

Suggestions please......

T[/quote]

What's his Previous? If he could put up his CV that'd be a huge help.

As to food, ta for the heads up! I'll mainly be self-catering methinks.

[b]I.D.[/b] Previous bashes have gone with a sign-in sheet & sticky labels with all writing on - seems to work.

Pete.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='865895' date='Jun 13 2010, 12:58 PM'][b]I.D.[/b] Previous bashes have gone with a sign-in sheet & sticky labels with all writing on - seems to work.[/quote]

Might look a bit cheesy but a label with site nick-name & then 'real' first name might help people to identify each other?

[quote name='molan' post='865898' date='Jun 13 2010, 01:02 PM']Might look a bit cheesy but a label with site nick-name & then 'real' first name might help people to identify each other?[/quote]

You've just given me a cunning idea... Hopefully more later.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='865902' date='Jun 13 2010, 01:05 PM']You've just given me a cunning idea... Hopefully more later.[/quote]

You're not coming in full 'bloodaxe' fancy dress are you?

Edited by molan

[quote name='molan' post='865908' date='Jun 13 2010, 01:19 PM']You're not coming in full 'bloodaxe' fancy dress are you?[/quote]
I have [i]no idea[/i] what you're talking about. However, if I can blag a lift, the Bloody Explorer might make an appearance.

[color="#FFFACD"][size=1][i](note to self: - draw the curtains next time)[/i][/size][/color]

THanks for replies Bloodaxe and Molan. Jakesbass has much more information via his myspace link, which is on his entry a few spaces up.

The idea of name labels seems like a good practical step in the right direction. I did consider a check list of people that has registered an interest in coming on thread. THis could then be used to check people coming in on the day, to the exclusion of all others.
This would stop opportunistic thieves walking in off the street on the day. But it would also exclude genuine BC'ers that just didn't go on thread. It also wouldn't stop thieves from registering with BC just for the chance to steal something, although the likelyhood of that is low. Still, can't be too careful.

Volunteers perleeease !!!!

T

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='865913' date='Jun 13 2010, 01:24 PM']I have [i]no idea[/i] what you're talking about. However, if I can blag a lift, the Bloody Explorer might make an appearance.

[color="#FFFACD"][size=1][i](note to self: - draw the curtains next time)[/i][/size][/color][/quote]

Bloodaxe was a comic figure in the Spawn series - loosely based on Eric the Bloodaxe a Norse viking character (or something along those lines, lol).

I think also in other comics like Marvel's Thor etc