Why become a member? ×

Glossery of bass tones

iconic

Well, so far in my limited time of owning a bass I have heard/read the following descriptions, there should be some sort of EEC STD glossery :)

in no particular order:-

[b]mellow
rich
soft
hard edged
full
empty
hollow
harsh
cold
warm
muddy
clean
bright
crisp
rounded
"with a cool top end twang"
fat
thin
funky
jazzy
classic 50's/60's/70's/80's sound....not seen a 90's yet...
velvety
vintage
modern
balmy
smooth
I even saw 'crunchy' for an Orange bass amp sound....
[/b][i][/i]
It can't be the easy trying to describe a sound by words but it's a shame someone like a wordsmith like Matt Johnson doesn't write reviews, I mean we would all know what this means "the distant noise of some drunken jazz band".....but then we would like to what the rig the bass played thru :rolleyes:

Very interesting and potentially useful topic

Not sure if one word in itself can describe some bass sounds adequately, as different frequencies ranges can have their own characteristics, especially with some of the active E.Q. systems available today.

i.e. to use some examples from the list ' A warm bottom end with a cool top end twang'

Would be curious to see where this goes.

T

:)

[quote name='iconic' post='698620' date='Jan 2 2010, 11:33 AM']Well, so far in my limited time of owning a bass I have heard/read the following descriptions, there should be some sort of EEC STD glossery :)

in no particular order:-

[b]mellow
rich
soft
hard edged
full
empty
hollow
harsh
cold
warm
muddy
clean
bright
crisp
rounded
"with a cool top end twang"
fat
thin
funky
jazzy
classic 50's/60's/70's/80's sound....not seen a 90's yet...
velvety
vintage
modern
balmy
smooth
I even saw 'crunchy' for an Orange bass amp sound....
[/b][i][/i]
It can't be the easy trying to describe a sound by words but it's a shame someone like a wordsmith like Matt Johnson doesn't write reviews, I mean we would all know what this means "the distant noise of some drunken jazz band".....but then we would like to what the rig the bass played thru :rolleyes:[/quote]

my input is

brown

Like it! Just like any other area of interest, bass playing has its own unique jargon and some which is shared with others... We all know what the terms mean (or at least we THINK we do!), but they are very subjective - so one man's "warm" may be another man's "creamy"... :)

Fortunately, I'm yet to hear the word "moist" used to describe sound. Probably just as well!! :brow:

[quote name='Conan' post='698873' date='Jan 2 2010, 05:28 PM']Like it! Just like any other area of interest, bass playing has its own unique jargon and some which is shared with others... We all know what the terms mean (or at least we THINK we do!), but they are very subjective - so one man's "warm" may be another man's "creamy"... :rolleyes:

Fortunately, I'm yet to hear the word "moist" used to describe sound. Probably just as well!! :brow:[/quote]
squelchy is one i've heard in relation to fx ! :)

Great thread. I think the 90s was more a decade of nostalgia generally so there is unlikely to be a 90s tone as such. I reserve the right to be wrong but that's how it felt at the time, as we faced the end of an era and the dawning of a new millenium.

One term I used to hear a lot which I don't so much these days is "chocolate-y" but I think you got them all covered. We can all walk into studios and create the impression we know what we are on about! :)

edited for my woeful spelling!

Edited by BurritoBass

[quote name='ahpook' post='698858' date='Jan 2 2010, 05:18 PM']firstly...who's matt johnson ?

secondly...gloss[b]a[/b]ry

:rolleyes:[/quote]

I'm a little dyslexic, ya lucky I got the worms the way right 'round...yes The The...I like my group names to be easy to remember because of this...I also like Talk Talk :lol:

Brown..... :)