Why become a member? ×

Drum N Bass/Dubstep

Jarhead

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1158921' date='Mar 12 2011, 07:01 AM']Or an MP-201... LFO heaven :)[/quote]
Don't. I'll start looking & then want! :)
There's a few things I'm wanting already & so far have saved up about £3.27 in coppers.
I might settle for a 2nd exp pedal that I can use on the Murf.

Anyone tried making some of these fat sounds with an M9? I'm not looking to go and spend loads of money buying pedals for this kind of stuff - I don't really like dub that much, but it'd be neat to see if what I already have can make anything like this.

I've got an OC-2 I'd probably run into the front of the M9, so I guess it's really a question of whether there are any decent LPFs, oscillator/tremolos and maybe something a bit fuzzy in there too. I don't get much time to play with mine really, so if anyone's found any cool effects in there, I'll be checking them out when I can get to mess with it :)

Yeah, I've seen that. But most folks seem to use it as part of a bigger ensemble. I'm not sure it can do the core sounds on its own. I know it's got all the reverb, delay and modulation stuff just fine. I realised I'm going to have a lot more time from now on so I'm definitely going to experiment! :)

The 'Facial Fuzz' model is very nice; it also has an EQ section for putting in more low end. It isn't very mammoth-esque, but it isn't bad either. I've used some of the waveform generators instead to get some very nice sounds though.

I've used the 'Q-Filter' model set to LPF to try and emulate the Moog but it really isn't in the same ball park. I think it's a 2-pole filter and lacks the same sweetness in the resonance peak that the Moog has.

'Throbber' is a nice LFO-controlled filter which is useful for Dubstep/House stuff.

And as Shep has pointed out, the Modulations, Reverbs and Delays are very nice.

Dan

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1154545' date='Mar 8 2011, 09:23 PM']Shep, when's the tracks gonna be ready? Looking forward to hearing it.[/quote]

Well… It's done!!!

We'll prob re-master it shortly as theres a tiny bit to much gain on a couple of opening notes and in certain areas of 'Face 4 Radio' making my speakers shake a little too much, but I'll swap out these tracks when we do that. Its a minor point. The mix is done and here's the EP.

Performed live with a few technical tweeks from Johnny Carter in the studio. Everything you hear that is not a drum beat came from my bass & pedals...

[url="http://ourhelicalmind.bandcamp.com"]http://ourhelicalmind.bandcamp.com[/url]

Lemme know what you think (and buy it if you're feeling generous!) :)

Anyone interested in what I used for sounds on certain sections etc just ask. On the dispute of Octave pedals which has gone on a fair bit during this thread, each track uses my OC-2 set to Octave-1 at full and Octave-2 and dry off (So just a pure Octave down) on all 3 tracks start to finish.

Shep

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1168984' date='Mar 19 2011, 10:55 PM']Well… It's done!!!

We'll prob re-master it shortly as theres a tiny bit to much gain on a couple of opening notes and in certain areas of 'Face 4 Radio' making my speakers shake a little too much, but I'll swap out these tracks when we do that. Its a minor point. The mix is done and here's the EP.

Performed live with a few technical tweeks from Johnny Carter in the studio. Everything you hear that is not a drum beat came from my bass & pedals...

[url="http://ourhelicalmind.bandcamp.com"]http://ourhelicalmind.bandcamp.com[/url]

Lemme know what you think (and buy it if you're feeling generous!) :)

Anyone interested in what I used for sounds on certain sections etc just ask. On the dispute of Octave pedals which has gone on a fair bit during this thread, each track uses my OC-2 set to Octave-1 at full and Octave-2 and dry off (So just a pure Octave down) on all 3 tracks start to finish.

Shep[/quote]
sounding good on my wharfedales. nice work.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1169002' date='Mar 19 2011, 11:24 PM']sounding good on my wharfedales. nice work.[/quote]

Good to hear. My Cambridge Audio's struggle slightly in places :lol:

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1169172' date='Mar 20 2011, 08:37 AM']You get some pretty amazing sounds on there. Awesome stuff! :)
Your drummer is right on the money too.[/quote]

Thanks bud :)

[quote name='Ben_55' post='1180164' date='Mar 28 2011, 10:11 PM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ingKH3s2JHg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ingKH3s2JHg[/url]

This guy has it pretty down for the warble sound[/quote]

Yup! Good to see useable sounds from the SYB as well... I always struggled to get much out of them. That sounds fat though.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1168984' date='Mar 19 2011, 10:55 PM']Anyone interested in what I used for sounds on certain sections etc just ask. On the dispute of Octave pedals which has gone on a fair bit during this thread, each track uses my OC-2 set to Octave-1 at full and Octave-2 and dry off (So just a pure Octave down) on all 3 tracks start to finish.

Shep[/quote]

I really, really enjoyed your sound on the "Get Money!" track.
How did you make that bass sound?

[quote name='Albi' post='1182044' date='Mar 30 2011, 12:09 PM']I really, really enjoyed your sound on the "Get Money!" track.
How did you make that bass sound?[/quote]

Cheers, Get Money! uses the following....

OC2 - MarkBass Super Synth - Phaser - Chorus - Ring Mod - Delay.

All effects stay on from start to finish. There are two patches set up on the MarkBass pedal, a fuzzy one used 1st, then the high pitched synth-swell used 2nd. I go sound them twice. The thing that makes it sound organic is the ring mod which Is set like a very slow tremolo and is having the speed constantly altered via expression (you'll hear it fast an percussive like at the end of the swells). The best bit to hear me manipulating the tempo is on the drum drop out half way through.

[quote name='DanOwens' post='1182066' date='Mar 30 2011, 12:28 PM']Hey Shep,

What snares does your drummer use? There's some really nice snare overtones on 'Get Money'.

Dan[/quote]

He uses 3 on the kit. A Sonor Jungle Snare, a 13" Picollo Snare and a more traditional rock kit snare (14" I 'think').

If you listen to Neon Tangerine he cycles them. We play the 'verse' part 3 times, each time using a different snare.

So are you getting a DJ & Vocalist involved with Our Helical Mind?
That would bring everything up a level again if the DJ was working along with your metronome (be it adding beats, sounds, scratching or whatever) & having some vocals on there would sit in lovely.

Love the bass sounds on Face 4 Radio. What did you use for that?

We have a DJ & vocalist lined up for a few tracks. Current plan is to remain a 2piece with a number of collaborators.

Face 4 Radio is just OC2 with the -1oct at full and the dry and -2oct off. That's it. The fills at the end of the phrase have my Groove Regulator popped on for a bar, but the main tone of the song is just OC2