Why become a member? ×

A Buggers Muddle!

Thor

Hi There, I'm in the market for a new bass (or two) and have found myself in a bit of a quandry, I'm tempted to shell out & buy a Rickenbacker 4001 or 4003 or for the same price as one of those I've worked out I could afford a couple of Fenders, namely a '51 Precision Mike Dirnt Signature Bass (MIM) and also a 60's Roadworn Jazz (MIM), both in sunburst (which I really fancy).
I already own a '75 MIJ P Bass & '95 Standard American Jazz (which is my regular workhorse) & lastly a '92 Jazz Plus 5 - so obviously I love my Fenders but am wondering about the Ric & whether or not I'd get on with it.
If anyone could let me know how they've gotten on (particularly) with the slab bodied '51 I'd really appreciate it and also the quality factor of the Mexican built guitars too - in fact I'd really appreciate any feedback as I've got myself in a right buggers muddle trying to decide what's for the best?? Considering Future Investment potential/residual values & potential resale values/enjoyment factor of playing etc etc.

Any feedback gratefully received!

If you've got a Rick in mind you really need to try one first - not everyone seems to get on with them, either tone or feel-wise. If you do get along with them but still baulk at the price, a Matsumoku or FujiGen built 'faker could well be worth a punt - they're becoming increasingly collectable so probably not to shabby as an investment either.

Hi,

I know what you mean. I'm currently in a similar position and have found myself slipping into late night internet voids searching for the perfect purchases. However, I think I've got it clear in my head that its almost impossible to have everything in one bass (enjoyment, investment, resale etc.) It sounds like you've got a few nice basses there as workhorses, plus they should hold their value, so the Ricki would certainly be different and a great addition to any 'collection' but you simply won't know if you're going to like it until you pick it up and play it. Even then, you might decide that it's not a gigger but still has investment potential (which they do but not like an old Fender it would appear) and decide to keep it tucked away somewhere. I had to play one on a gig we did in Spain and I hated it, not because it wasn't a great bass but because it was so different from what I was used to and I had to fight all night to play a set I usually breeze through. The neck was thinner, the pup cover was exactly where I'd usually pick on my Jazz, the body balanced differently. Perhaps ask yourself what the Ricki is for.. Is it for THAT sound, or the look, or just cos you're bored with Fenders and fancy a change. If you're still really not sure, buy one second hand so at least you don't lose so much on depreciation. Failing that, go and check out the Italia Rimini. I use one and its pretty close to a Ricki without the price and is certainly a change from a Fender, even for just a few songs..

Happy hunting..

Interesting thread title. I thought it was in the wrong forum to start with until I read it & discovered it wasn't about choice of bottoms, but bottom ends.

I'd go & try the basses you like & see what you want to spend your pennies on.

I have another option for you, you could look at getting a custom bass made based on what you like from different basses.

Hi.
Would love to have to be stuck in that situation!lol

i own a Mike Dirnt bass in black (its on long term loan to my kid sisters band at the mo though) which I love.
It certainly weighs a bit-you know your wearing it!
The neck profile is great-a real old scholl but kind of worn in P bass neck with Tele/51-style headstock.
The slab body is great-Im much more a 57-style Precision man, but I love the overall look and feel of this bass-there´s just something about it!
The sound was the only thing I wasn´t amazed by at the outset. There are US pups in them, but they just lack a killer punch, at least to my ears. I was caught between this model and a Mark Hoppus sig and in the absence of a pink Hoppus, I went with the Dirnt model. However like buses-a fortnight later, along came a now discontinued Pink Mark Hoppus and a tiny price tag(my mate leaving the country=cheap!!!).
I much preferred the sound of the MH, so I swapped out the Dirnt´s pups to Duncan SP3´s and boom-one heavyweight (feel AND sound) bass!
I strung it with Dean Markley´s and ran it through my old SVT 200T and 8x10- AMAZING!!!
The build quality is superb, excellent QC, no issues whatsoever when it left the factory-only needed a quick action adjustment/change of factory strings, no sharp frets or edges, no buzzing/hum or loose pots or any other issues
Seriously fantastic bass for the money-just dont buy the white/yellow one! black all the way (dont love the s/burst either)

The roadworn series look and sound fantastic too! Though I´m now more of a precision guy, so I´d have to go with a fiesta red and rosewood-necked one of those! The QC and build quality of these is apparently immaculate. Havent seen a bad review of one yet. And the 10 mins I had on a RWorn Jazz before Christmas didn´t help me find fault either

In terms of the Ric, personally, I´m not a fan.
I find them heavey and limited sound-wise. I had the loan of a mate´s 4003 while he was in the US. It was a fireglo one and had the pup covers. My band INSISTED I used it cause it looked cool. I thought it sounded flat and boring! If the Ric sound is what your after-obviously, thats the bass you want.
But if you want a bit of variety and a pair of basses that wont cost the world, go with the Fenders- you wont regret it
Or you could get a Fender and a Ric copy. The copies are quite good and relatively inexpensive. Check out the Tokai Rockinbetter! great bass for the money (if thats your bag)

Above all else though- go out and TRY these basses as buying without trying is a mistake and a costly one at that!

Cheers mate,
Happy New Year,
Colin

Hmmm... interesting... the last Ricky I tried was awful... just awful, so I'd have to go the 7ender route. I'm nuts about them anyways. I've tried the RW and they're damn fine although I suspect the resale value won't be so good.

You might find a CS for around the same money... I quite fancy the 62 Jazz RI as well.

Try before you buy of course. I wish I had some cash!

Nice position to be in. Couple of comments:

1. Every 2 years or so I convince myself that Ricky's look cool and I should buy one. Fortunately 10 minutes or so in Electro playing one (or a decent copy) usually cures that. Definately an acquired taste both sound and playability wise. I could probably learn to like the former but the latter.....

2. You've got a nice collection of Fenders already - what do you expect the 2 potential additions to do that you can't already do?

If I was in the same position as you I'd probably look to spend on a single bass that was a bit different and special. If you like the Fender vibe, an offering from Sandberg or Lakland (or maybe a second hand Sadowsky Metro) might be worth looking at.

I own a 51RI p-bass & the weight is no issue. It's one of the best basses I've ever owned. Having been used to standard shaped P-basses I didn't find too much of an adjustment.

My only thoughts on a Rickenbacker are they are a lot of money to spend if like me you decide you a Fender player through & through. Seeing as you are based in Wilts, last time I went to Swindon they had some great looking Rickenfakkers in a couple of guitar shops that were just under £500. So you could get a nice Fender and try one of these? Just a thought. I'd imagine the resale value would hold too.

I'd try at least 3 used Ricks before committing your money, they are very variable. Its rare to get a "bad" one, but they all feel and sound different, and as others have pointed out, they are somewhat odd to play if you are used to P-Basses etc, the scale length and ultra low actions make for lots of uncomfortable noises until you are used to how Ricks like to be played. Either that, or hoik the action up and lose some of the character. If you find the right one, you WILL fall in love. I have owned around 20 of them in the past, and I still have 2 favourites I would have to be desperate to want to sell, and one I have kicked myself for selling ever since that fateful day in 1987.

[quote name='Thor' post='696970' date='Dec 31 2009, 09:35 AM']and also the quality factor of the Mexican built guitars too[/quote]

I've just been playing a MIM Roadworn '60s Jazz, and while I'm not a great fan of this whole pre-aged thing, I have to say that this played very nicely (wonderful neck), was well put together and sounded marvellous through a T&C 450 rig.

Thanks for all of your input guys, to be honest I think I'd pretty much talked myself out of the whole Ricky thing at the moment -even though I've now convinced Mrs Thor actually they do look kinda sexy. I think it's more of a fashion statement (and have also had the boys in the band pushing me towards getting a Ric as they're considered uber- cool), I'd also be concerned over losing quite a few quid if/when they ever go out of fashion.

I'd actually forgotton that I'd borrowed a 4001 from a mate of mine probably around 12 or so years ago and can really relate to the comment of having to work really hard on a set that i would usually cruise through, I found that the painted neck really did cause for a lot of drag particularly when getting a bit enthusiastic - mind you I was a lot younger and obviously much less skilled/adept at playing then too (not that I'm terribly gymnastic/skilled now mind you!), and also that it did sound kinda flat compared to my regular Jazz at the time (probably down to lack of tweaking/familiarising myself with the guitar before hand).

I do love the sound of Bruce Foxton's/Geddy Lee's playing, but of course they quite often played a Jazz (Geddy is the god of the Jazz IMHO), and that's the sound I strive for so I do think I'm Fender through & through.

I've recently agreed to sell my Warwick Streamer Stage 1 5 string (about as exotic as i have been) to another user on here, so I think i shall take my time and play a few guitars and see what takes my fancy, I'm certainly looking forward to trying out the'51.

I suppose the fact that I've always done quite well financially with the Fenders also has some minor bearing on the matter too! (Although for me it's all about tone, tone & tone and ease of playability)

Once again, thanks for all of the input - a nice even balance of for & against - Cheers and a Very Happy & Prosperous New Year to all. :)

I think it fair to say that Ric's are a real Marmite bass.....You either love 'em, or hate 'em :)

I have a '80 4001 in JetGlo, and I love it to bits. Played through my SVT Classic, and 610HLF cab, it's a real tone monster. It has a really fast slim neck, with a really low action. It weighs a ton though!

They are totally different to play to Fender type stuff though (I have a Jazz, and 3 P's). They have a slightly shorter scale, and the strings are very close to the edge of the fret board. Also, I think anyone used to Fenders would find the bridge, and the pickups very strange and awkward to start with.

I would recommend playing one for an hour or so to see if you get used to it/ grow to love it. I would also consider going the second hand route, as the full retail on a new one is horrendous.

i played a '77 ricky for over 10 years.... not just because i was in a jam tribute band(the setting sons..we was on live and kicking dontcha know and the studio guys told us despite the programmes title we wuz the first band that played live for three years onnit lol:-)), but because i thought its sound was worth offsetting against what a pig it was to play(and it was the best out of three that i owned)
then you try a fender and thats it really...bye bye plank....no offence to any ricky lovers here just my personal view.
as for tha foxten sound the sad truth is he only used the rick on the first album and after that it was precision all the way, so im led to believe.
and how many bass players (nicky wire etc) do you see playing a cool looking rick in the videos but using a jazz live...

[quote name='Thor' post='697492' date='Dec 31 2009, 07:19 PM']I do love the sound of Bruce Foxton's/Geddy Lee's playing, but of course they quite often played a Jazz (Geddy is the god of the Jazz IMHO), and that's the sound I strive for so I do think I'm Fender through & through.[/quote]

It may be worth thinking about getting a Sansamp VTBass pedal as well as a Jazz in order to nail that tone....