Why become a member? ×

just got a new gig

oldslapper

First off, just to let you know that even at 48, I'm probably the least confident peron I know when it comes to my playing ability, always comparing myself to others, including their gear, videos, blah blah. I even gave up playing for 15 years as I thought I would never measure up (still don't know to what).
But I've just got the biggest confidence boost ever, having been asked to play in a jazz quartet featuring Richard Madelin on guitar.
I've been playing upright or about 18 months and loved it from the moment I got that fat neck under my fingers.
But apart from playing in a few gigs for a local songwriter (not demanding) and a couple of noobie trio's, I'd never thought I'd play any jazz with experienced people who new what they were doing....coz I certainly didn't.
Still wallowing in self pity (yes another thread for that here), the missus pointed out an add in our local rag.
I didn't call of course for a week, then plucked up the courage. Had 2 auditions and have my first gig saturday week, they were really happy with my playing. I kept it simple 2 to the bar, root and five and let the II, V, I do it's thing, walking only on occasion.
It's mostly standards, with a lean towards gyspsy/manouche/Django feel.
Richard is a well known in this part of the world as a guitarist and he was really encouraging.
I feel like a little kid, and it's probably a bit sad really, as looking at this site there are so many great DB players who do this stuff standing on their head (oh look comparing myself again..) ...but I had to tell someone.
Thanks for looking, I'm off to practice Night and Day (what a tune)...
A very happy oldslapper

Thanks guys,
knowing me I'll be looking over my shoulder waiting for the bass police to come in and arrest me !! :)

Very grateful for this chance and intend learning as much as I can from these guys (all 10+ years older than me).
I'll try and get some pics/vids so you can tell me what you think.

By the way does anyone else think that the quality of song writing of most "jazz standards" is infinately better than todays chart stuff? As I read the charts, it dawned on me how beautifully crafted they were.
It's happening isn't it??......I'm becoming a snob......oh no...how will I play "Hysteria" in the function band without comparing it to Autumn Leaves.. :rolleyes:

[quote name='oldslapper' post='696601' date='Dec 30 2009, 06:36 PM']By the way does anyone else think that the quality of song writing of most "jazz standards" is infinately better than todays chart stuff? As I read the charts, it dawned on me how beautifully crafted they were.[/quote]

One of my favourite arguments against the Beatles (no, please let's not go crazy on this one) is that they killed off the songwriter - all of a sudden, bands had to write their own stuff so the likes of Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, Bacharach & David, Goffin & King weren't wanted any more. Crafted is the key word here (IMO), all these writers crafted songs beautifully. Just try not to compare and enjoy the function stuff for what it is - a fun racket!

Yes, I agree now, probably wouldn't 6 months ago.
I'll enjoy the function band for loads of reasons anyway (the money is v. useful for one) and the band are a great "family" who know how to have a good time on stage.
I'm just so amazed that I never appreciated these classic songs before. I guess playing them with muscians who are wrapped around the genre helps, but it hit me when I had the charts in front of me, it was an "OMG" moment, "this is beautiful". Great when music does that isn't it? Could be playing a new bass, or hearing a new amp, or learning a new tune in any genre really.....'nt music brilliant.

[quote name='oldslapper' post='696654' date='Dec 30 2009, 07:48 PM']Yes, I agree now, probably wouldn't 6 months ago.
I'll enjoy the function band for loads of reasons anyway (the money is v. useful for one) and the band are a great "family" who know how to have a good time on stage.
I'm just so amazed that I never appreciated these classic songs before. I guess playing them with muscians who are wrapped around the genre helps, but it hit me when I had the charts in front of me, it was an "OMG" moment, "this is beautiful". Great when music does that isn't it? Could be playing a new bass, or hearing a new amp, or learning a new tune in any genre really.....'nt music brilliant.[/quote]

Totally agree. Thanks to the good folks here at BassChat I'm now listening to music I would never have considered previously and loving it. Current favourites are Motown classics, really enjoying James Jamerson's playing.

Many congratulations on the gig, let's hope 2010 brings you even more joy.
All the best,
Mark

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='696647' date='Dec 30 2009, 07:35 PM']One of my favourite arguments against the Beatles (no, please let's not go crazy on this one) is that they killed off the songwriter - all of a sudden, bands had to write their own stuff so the likes of Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, Bacharach & David, Goffin & King weren't wanted any more. Crafted is the key word here (IMO), all these writers crafted songs beautifully. Just try not to compare and enjoy the function stuff for what it is - a fun racket![/quote]

To be fair, most of the stuff in the charts these days is written by songwriter/producers, not the artists (if that word can really be used to describe the half-dressed yelping teenie w*nk-fodder that pass for singers these days), and is total sh*t. In contrast, a lot of the current bands I'm listening to (who aren't anywhere near the charts) distinguish themselves by their ability to write compelling, innovative original music. They're also remarkably good instrumentists, which is not something that can be said for many of the people in the charts these days.

[quote name='maxrossell' post='699764' date='Jan 3 2010, 06:08 PM']To be fair, most of the stuff in the charts these days is written by songwriter/producers, not the artists (if that word can really be used to describe the half-dressed yelping teenie w*nk-fodder that pass for singers these days), and is total sh*t. In contrast, a lot of the current bands I'm listening to (who aren't anywhere near the charts) distinguish themselves by their ability to write compelling, innovative original music. They're also remarkably good instrumentists, which is not something that can be said for many of the people in the charts these days.[/quote]

Bitter much? :)

Oldslapper....nice one on getting the gig.

[quote name='Doddy' post='699972' date='Jan 3 2010, 08:58 PM']Bitter much? :)[/quote]

Nah, I don't pay attention to the charts and never have. I'm just saying that the "songwriter" being the key to world-beating tracks is a bit of a myth. In commercial pop music songwriters are people who maybe don't have enough charisma or a good (bland?) enough singing voice to be saleable so they write for other people. In the kind of music I listen to it doesn't matter if you're fat and ugly and hairy and have a bit of a weird voice as long as the music is interesting.