Why become a member? ×

Don't post your bass via Parcelforce/RoyalMail

OldGit

[quote name='charic' post='57322' date='Sep 8 2007, 10:31 AM']Have you tried saying it isnt a musical instrument? Its a wooden structure :)[/quote]

Oddly enough they tried to say it wasn't a musical instrument (and they hadn't even heard me play!) During one of their manouvers to change the guideline which I was supposed to have followed they claimed it was Electronic Equipment (the examples their leaflet gave for this category are "Laptop, VCR, etc ...")
I pointed out that no one in their right mind would put a yard of maple and a few magnets and wires in the same category as a laptop...
So ... Then they moved the goalposts again.

[quote name='The Funk' post='57369' date='Sep 8 2007, 01:37 PM']I think it might be time to just sue them. They don't seem interested in anything else.[/quote]

Maybe ...
Let's see what the top honcho says first ...
I like to be reasonable, and giving them as much opportunity as possible to see sence is bound to work in my favour if we have to talk to a magistrate. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well what do you know !
I finally found the Sensible Human Been left in the Post Office Customer Services department - she's the woman who manages the office where complaints that get to the Chairman's office get handled .....

So, finally:

The Correct Result .. They have paid for the bass and £25 for my phone calls "as a gesture of goodwill".

Lots of apologies for the way it was handled and for not turning the bass away at the counter in the first place for being under wrapped or over size (which is what should have happened really.)

And promises to ask the claims assessors to judge wrapping by their published public domain information rather than something someone made up for guitars, to look at adding something specific about wrapping musical instruments to their published guidance and an open invitation to call her directly if anything like this happens again.

"I'd have paid out at supervisor level" she said ..

So there you go. I guess hanging on like a Rottweiler does get results sometimes ..

Thanks to all who helped and who listened to me ranting.
Thanks to tredders fro his patience and support and a special big up to The Funk for legal advice.

regards,
OG

[quote name='paul, the' post='62301' date='Sep 18 2007, 07:47 PM']HUZAH!! :)
Nice one!!

--
It goes to show that all the beurocracy in the world can't categorize and solve the problem. Get two people with common sense talking and things are fairly sorted out quickly and efficiently.[/quote]

Zactly!

Oh yes I think so ....

I told her I'd publicise it on "a music forum where several hundred people are following this story" but she asked me to just say people can PM me for the contact details :)

I think this subject desrves a pinned thread - good and bad couriers..
OG

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='R,5,R,5...' post='8964' date='May 30 2007, 07:09 AM']A friend of mine and my former guitarist had a Gibson SG repaired that had snapped at the headstock. It too was a splintery mess. Seemed to work; he's still playing it 5 years later.[/quote]

I've seen Dave Dearnaley in Cardiff do this exact repair - the SG is still being gigged nearly every night of the week to this day. I reckon it'd be about £150 for that repair.

[quote name='Sean' post='76051' date='Oct 18 2007, 04:08 PM']I've seen Dave Dearnaley in Cardiff do this exact repair - the SG is still being gigged nearly every night of the week to this day. I reckon it'd be about £150 for that repair.[/quote]

Yeah that was a classic Gibson head joint break I think ..
I am sure Dave could repair it but ... it's just an old B2B, chaps ...
I'd rather the bits went off and had a new life [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=7116&view=findpost&p=75921"](The corpse is for sale here)[/url]

Edited by OldGit

Congrats Oldgit-I just had to read this whole damn thing!

Here is another props for www.interparcel.com/

I sold my 1996 USA Handmade B.C.Rich Innovator thru neck bass for the rediculousley low sum of £500,trouble was,I sold it to a Yank,so it had to travel accross the "Pond" again,not so much a problem,except the bass was so long,122cm,there was no way of getting a hardcase for it-I put the bass in a gigbag,and cut up 2 cot matresses to pack the in the box.

I got a quote from Parcel Farce for sending the bass,fully insured (Seems worthless) and it was £150!

Interparcel charged me £98 including full insurance and a guaranteed 3 day delivery,well they picked it up late on Monday,approx 3pm,and lo and behold,Wednesday morning I get an email,the bass had arrived in perfect condition in the USA and it wasn't even 48 hrs since UPS picked it up on behalf of Interparcel-of course I sh*t myself all the way until recieving the email!

I am well impressed with their service and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone :)

And here she is,safe and sound next to her sister B.C.Rich Bernardo 6 bass in the USA