Why become a member? ×

Nash '63 Jazz bass relic in CAR

Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='721513' date='Jan 22 2010, 06:40 PM']Cairobill also added a great soundclip, a post or two earlier.[/quote]
Here's a direct link to Cairobill's video of the bass [url="http://www.youtube.com/sharkpuss#p/u/1/jUeiAy1pu3w"]http://www.youtube.com/sharkpuss#p/u/1/jUeiAy1pu3w[/url]

PS, cash only, no trades please

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='721946' date='Jan 23 2010, 09:28 AM']Amazing bass,love the sound.Is that clip with flats on ?[/quote]
No, Cairobill had it with medium-ish gauge roundwounds on (black silks, not sure what that makes them). I still have those strings in a bag and can throw in with the sale, no problems.

Bump with a few more details

The following blurb comes from the Nash website on the JB-63:

"Available in either alder or ash bodies and with maple or rosewood necks [I am not sure which wood this is, I am guessing alder]. Default pickups are DiMarzio Model Ps, but other pickups are available as well. Necks have medium large frets, a 10 radius on the fretboard and available in medium C only."

I have measured the neck dimensions to illustrate the C-shaped neck and they come out as follows:

width at nut: ~37mm
depth (thumb to board) between nut and 1st fret: 20mm
depth at 12th fret: 25mm
PS, string action at 12th fret: 2.5mm

Only 24 hours and relegated to third page of FS forum - boy there's a lot for sale right now!

Body on the bass is alder, pickups DM ultra Jazz. The strings in the vid were standard gauge Hard Rockin' Steels by La Bella, my new favourite string. They made me realise how useless nickelwounds are...
Nick

Edited by Cairobill

I've got the Dimarzio UltraJazzes in one of my......well.....Jazzes lol
They're fantastic pickups, and pending them sounding how I want them to in standard tuning (that bass has been in Drop tuning for a while), I'll put a set in my '73 too!

Have a bump Clarky, what 70's jazz have you found? :)
Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='723186' date='Jan 24 2010, 03:23 PM']Have a bump Clarky, what 70's jazz have you found? :)[/quote]
Hi Si, this one (have secured a vintage 70s bridge to replace ugly Schaller and am putting in Wizard 84 pickups in it, at least until I find a reasonably priced vintage 70s set of p/ups)

[attachment=40972:73_jazz_1.jpg][attachment=40973:73_jazz_2.jpg]

PS thanks CB for update on the body wood

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='723194' date='Jan 24 2010, 03:30 PM']Hi Si, this one (have secured a vintage 70s bridge to replace ugly Schaller and am putting in Wizard 84 pickups in it, at least until I find a reasonably priced vintage 70s set of p/ups)

[attachment=40972:73_jazz_1.jpg][attachment=40973:73_jazz_2.jpg][/quote]

Oh sweet!!!!

Been-a-couple-of-days type bump :)

I would really recommend anyone look at the Youtube video clip as it shows you how the bass looks, how it sounds and how it plays in the hands of a decent bass player (Cairobill, not me!):

[url="http://www.youtube.com/sharkpuss#p/u/1/jUeiAy1pu3w"]http://www.youtube.com/sharkpuss#p/u/1/jUeiAy1pu3w[/url]

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Cairobill' post='706017' date='Jan 8 2010, 08:51 PM']And here's a bit of the bass pure DI'd in the clip I put up when I sold it to Richardd. It has super thick tone, that's for sure - the neck isn't a slim one, maybe that's why it sounds better? Interesting...

Cairo

www.youtube.com/sharkpuss[/quote]

Is that you playing Clarky's Nash, Cairo? Nice Jaco tones, mate! I didn't think those DiMArzios would sound like that!

Yeah, I had another guy enquire by pm as to why the bass sounded so dark. I tend to roll off most of the tone knob to get that sound. The Nash is capable of lot of twang though!

N

[quote name='Stacker' post='737857' date='Feb 7 2010, 09:08 AM']Is that you playing Clarky's Nash, Cairo? Nice Jaco tones, mate! I didn't think those DiMArzios would sound like that![/quote]

[quote name='Cairobill' post='742144' date='Feb 11 2010, 02:59 PM']Yeah, I had another guy enquire by pm as to why the bass sounded so dark. I tend to roll off most of the tone knob to get that sound. The Nash is capable of lot of twang though!

N[/quote]
rear pup and tone off, yeh. Nice. Will b in my hands on Saturday.