Why become a member? ×

Nash '63 Jazz bass relic in CAR

Clarky

As a number of you know, I am after an early 70s Jazz to match my 72P (see avatar pic) - here's the Items Wanted thread [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=71156"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=71156[/url]

I recently acquired a Bill Nash '63 Jazz bass relic in candy apple red (nitro finish over white) as a relatively 'cheap' substitute for a Fender vintage Jazz (also I was born in '63). Lovely though it looks and sounds (has DiMarzio UltraJazz p/u's), I need to move this on to free up funds for my 'Jazz war-chest' as it doesn't look like anyone on the forum has an early 70s Jazz to trade. There are a bunch of pics on the link in my signature below. The bass (which was made in July 2007) comes with a really nice fitted, black Sadowsky-alike semi-hard case. Weight-wise it is a medium, I guess coming in between 9-10lbs (my bathroom scales are rubbish and say less than 9lbs but then they also tell me I am slim!).

For those that have not heard of Nash Guitars (http://www.nashguitars.com/jb_basses.html ), it is a small workshop in the US that turns out vintage-alike guitars and basses of a very high quality using mainly original processes (eg, nitrocellulose lacquer finishes) and aged parts. Some even swear they are better than real vintage Fenders if you believe web reviews. The latest high-profile user is Rob Trujillo of Metallica who plays a couple of Nash aged '63 P basses live (you can see a nice black/tort one in the latest 'So What' magazine for 'tallica-heads!)

Price? Well, new these cost around £1,600 from the only UK distributor (to my knowledge), Vintage & Rare Guitars in Denmark St (link: [url="http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/web/Our-Catalogue/Other-Makers/Bill-Nash)"]http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/web/O...kers/Bill-Nash)[/url]. I paid £950 for this only a month ago and would like to get that back and will throw in 24 hour delivery in the price. It is strung with medium/heavy gauge LaBella flats. No trade offers thanks as I am only selling to help pay for that elusive 70s Jazz.

To save you clicking on the link below, here is one pic to whet your appetite (minus ashtrays) plus you can see the bass with the ashtrays on in my avatar:
[attachment=38875:nash.jpg]

Edited by Clarky

Nash is a brand, for the most part, I believe that the headstocks are plain..........who knows what decals others might add to the headstock :).
There were a few plain-headstock Nash's at V&R, and the Gallery had a Fender badged Nash, which was lovely I might add!

Si

[quote name='Stacker' post='694681' date='Dec 28 2009, 08:44 AM']PM sent.[/quote]
Just back from the slopes, some great snow and the perfect excuse to stuff your face and drink loads!

PM replied to Stacker (and thanks SiBob for filling in on Nash in my absence!)

Thank goodness for that. That saves me falling out with the new wife after spending 950 quid unnecessarily!!! It's bound to be up there with any Fender of any era going on everything I've ever heard about Nash.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='705108' date='Jan 8 2010, 08:37 AM']If the video the previous owner did of this bass is anything to go by, this is about the best Jazz bass out there, anyway. :rolleyes: Good move, Clarky.[/quote]
Thanks Rich/OTPJ

It is a thing of beauty and certainly sounds great. TBH, its not quite as slick to play as my old MIA 2009 (which was super-fast) as the neck has a considerably chunkier profile (I presume its true to an original '63 template and that this is the way they were 'back in the day'). However, I have swapped the strings to LaBella medium/heavy flats (from TI Flats; also tried DR SUnbeams) and the greater string tension means its much easier to get around quickly now. Had a really nice session on it last night :)

It probably is true to '63 neck size, even my '73 has a considerably slinkier neck (more width-wise than anything) than my '03 MIA.
But then I had my Shuker neck modeled on the '03's dimensions....so what does that tell you lol

Si

And here's a bit of the bass pure DI'd in the clip I put up when I sold it to Richardd. It has super thick tone, that's for sure - the neck isn't a slim one, maybe that's why it sounds better? Interesting...

Cairo

www.youtube.com/sharkpuss

Isn't it amazing how differently a bass will play with different strings? My standard string on all my (mainly P) basses for the past 2-3 years has been the TI flat (with D'Addario Chromes on certain basses). With TI Flats I could not get low action on this Nash bass, also with DR Sunbeam rounds, and to be frank it did p*ss me off more than a bit. Having swapped to an old set of LaBella standard gauge flats (I think; which would make them 45-105), it is completely transformed. I can get the action 1-2mm lower at the 12th fret, making it slick and fast, and I am at last as happy with how it plays as how it looks and sounds. :)

PS, Cairobill, just watched your clip again. Superb playing! Must work on finger-style harder, which is one of my NY resolutions

You could always take it round to the Gallery and Martin will stone the frets, tweak it and get your action super low on that bass for rounds. I liked the action medium on the bass as I play upright too. I've learnt to play lighter recently (I had a ramp installed on the Zon I sold for exactly that purpose) but have semi-abandoned the ultra light touch school of bass playing as the tone you get is simply not as good as a proper bit of fingerstyle. It's probably a point of contention with some but as Jaco said "you gotta cut the string" to get a full tone. He wasn't wrong in my opinion...

C

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I have tracked down an early 70s Jazz, so I am putting this lovely Nash Jazz back up FS.

As before, £950 posted for a great sounding, beautiful looking boutique-made '63 Jazz replica.

Strung now with La Bella standard flats (see a couple of posts above) and plays like a breeze (it didn't seem to get on with light gauge strings). Cairobill also added a great soundclip, a post or two earlier.

Edited by Clarky