Why become a member? ×

Important changes to the marketplace

ped

[quote name='Beedster' post='1288726' date='Jul 1 2011, 10:29 AM']Both of these are surely positive additions to a thread [u]if done appropriately[/u]?[/quote]
Absolutely. Couldn't agree more.

Unfortunately, not all members are as polite, tactful, knowledgeable and pure of motive as m'learned friends above. Were it not for a small minority of rude, tactless, know-nothing f***wit chancers, I suppose we would not need rules. But it would seem we do.

In any event, old seadogs like Beedster, WoT, Al and others usually find a way to subtly convey their thoughts. An emoticon here, an elision there and all is clear.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='692135' date='Dec 23 2009, 11:12 AM']Good call Ped.
I've lost count of the number of F/S's I've passed on just because the seller won't commit to at least a ballpark figure.[/quote]

I would simply consider that [i]["...seller won't commit to at least a ballpark figure"] [/i], an open invite to pitch a lowball figure. Anyone doing differently is leaving themselves open to being stiffed.

E pluribus Ipso facto.

Edited by daz

• 1 month later...

Well I’m a bit confused by this – not from the selling point of view (which I agree with…not putting a price on is a bit like a trader putting ‘POA’ – I never follow up these because I always think there’s going to be a catch or hard sell) but from the buyer’s point of view.

I recently looked at a bass for sale at a good price but one where the seller said he’d had offers but for postage and he would prefer collection. I offered by PM at £10 below the asking price based on cash and collection the following day. I gave my phone number and said, I think entirely politely, call if he was interested. I put the same on the forum except I didn’t put the price I’d offered (or, obviously, my phone number). The £10 reduced offer came from a simple calculation of the asking price, plus the diesel for the 250 mile round trip, plus the bits that didn’t come with the bass coming to £20 more than I could afford.

I was moderately flamed both by PM and on the forum.

I work hard never to p**s anyone off on the internet (and really am upset that I've p****d off this guy) and I am just about the opposite of a commercial shark, but am I to assume that a buyer must offer the asking price or nothing at all?

It’s a funny old world…

Confused of Derby

[quote name='Andyjr1515' post='1326328' date='Aug 4 2011, 12:05 AM']Well I’m a bit confused by this – not from the selling point of view (which I agree with…not putting a price on is a bit like a trader putting ‘POA’ – I never follow up these because I always think there’s going to be a catch or hard sell) but from the buyer’s point of view.

I recently looked at a bass for sale at a good price but one where the seller said he’d had offers but for postage and he would prefer collection. I offered by PM at £10 below the asking price based on cash and collection the following day. I gave my phone number and said, I think entirely politely, call if he was interested. I put the same on the forum except I didn’t put the price I’d offered (or, obviously, my phone number). The £10 reduced offer came from a simple calculation of the asking price, plus the diesel for the 250 mile round trip, plus the bits that didn’t come with the bass coming to £20 more than I could afford.

I was moderately flamed both by PM and on the forum.

I work hard never to p**s anyone off on the internet (and really am upset that I've p****d off this guy) and I am just about the opposite of a commercial shark, but am I to assume that a buyer must offer the asking price or nothing at all?

It’s a funny old world…

Confused of Derby[/quote]

It looks to me like the seller merely used your offer as a point to emphasise the bargain that was to had.... albeit without thinking about your feelings.

Seeing as the seller is a moderator himself, a wee word with the site owner should bring about a swift resolution to your situation.

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='1288300' date='Jun 30 2011, 10:15 PM']you're making a pretty big assumption that most people are swayed by one (or more) posts from opinionated people.[/quote]

If you think that doesn't happen around here then you either don't come here that often or you've got your head in the sand. There are a few people on here with a big enough name (whether warranted or otherwise) from whom a negative word on the price or provenance of the item would completely derail any sale attempt.

The whole sale thread hijacking thing is just damn rude. You don't go to the car dealership with a megaphone, stand in front of a motor you feel is overpriced and start bellowing that fact out into the street do you? No, if you think there's some wiggle room then you enter into a PRIVATE negotiation with the salesperson. Why do people think that the normal rules of engagement and social norms do not apply on the internet? Arbitrary nonsense! That's like saying "you can't complain that my kid hit your kid because it happened in the sandpit".

That's quite enough analogies for one post :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1326349' date='Aug 3 2011, 11:32 PM']It looks to me like the seller merely used your offer as a point to emphasise the bargain that was to had.... albeit without thinking about your feelings.

Seeing as the seller is a moderator himself, a wee word with the site owner should bring about a swift resolution to your situation.[/quote]

Nah - it's no big deal. It's just that I try hard to follow forum rules but, as the guy WAS a moderator and flamed me on the forum despite me sending an immediate PM apology (10 secs max) after he'd flamed me in his PM response to my (pretty close) offer, I assumed I must have committed some sort of heinous forum crime :)

In his defence, once I was on a decent internet connection (when I made the offer I was on a bought timed connection in a hotel with 5 mins to run and didn't have time to read everything in the thread) I could see he does say the price was firm - but he did seem to have problems selling it to anyone who would be willing to pick it up, which I WAS willing to do but the added cost of which made it a touch over what I could afford.

As a former internet forum moderator myself, it has always seemed to me that there are two types of moderator: those who do it to rigorously apply the forum rules for the good of all and those who use the power of veto and forum bans to bully and humiliate. Clearly this guy is of the former kind but was just having a bad hair day :)

Anyway, it's forgotten. He sold the bass later that day, which I am genuinely pleased about because it is a concern that absolutely NOTHING is moving at the moment...but that's for another thread

Thanks anyway for your response and the clarity that I haven't (or maybe hadn't) committed some sort of taboo

Andy

• 1 year later...

Is there no longer a 'search' option?? Bit of a delayed question i've always wanted to ask - on the old format I could type in 'Jazz Bass' and all the threads with those words in would then display for me. I understand that this may have been bad for sellers shifting items on for a profit as it showed their original thread, but, I really just want to locate jazz basses for sale/trade. I'm only using Jazz Bass as an example, and I reckon this question has probably been covered, I just could find where :(.

[quote name='Schnozzalee' timestamp='1351200632' post='1848745']
Is there no longer a 'search' option?? Bit of a delayed question i've always wanted to ask - on the old format I could type in 'Jazz Bass' and all the threads with those words in would then display for me. I understand that this may have been bad for sellers shifting items on for a profit as it showed their original thread, but, I really just want to locate jazz basses for sale/trade. I'm only using Jazz Bass as an example, and I reckon this question has probably been covered, I just could find where :(.
[/quote]Top left corner Search box. Defaults to the area you are in, so "This forum" when in one of the marketplace forums - at least it does for me

• 3 years later...

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1261517588' post='691868']
Hi guys

We have decided that from here on in, sellers must clearly state a price when selling items in the marketplace. This will make transactions more upfront and stop people effectively holding private auctions.

If you have a thread without a price, please edit and add one - any new threads from now on will need a price.

See rule #5 for sellers here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=SR&f=19"]http://basschat.co.u...php?act=SR&f=19[/url]

Cheers
ped
[/quote]

This link takes you straight to the "home" page.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1453810555' post='2962915']
This link takes you straight to the "home" page.
[/quote]

Whoops.. it's a bit out-of-date now. Here's the correct link, and I've corrected it in Ped's OP:

http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=rules&f=19