Why become a member? ×

Trace Ellliot Quatra Valve

cLepto-bass

My local music shop just recieved in one of these Trace heads in and was just wondering if anyone knows anything about or even uses them. They only got it in today so I havent been able to have a go on it yet but I was just wondering if anyone had any views on it. I suppose what I'd like to know firstly is, is it a sought after one?

Any advice would be great.

[quote name='Shockwave' post='691097' date='Dec 21 2009, 10:59 PM']I would love one, if you buy it and dont get on with it, let me know!

Cheers. Rob.[/quote]

Not sure what the shop will charge for it but hopefully find out tomorrow, what would be a fair price do you think? I've never seen one before so have no idea what sort of price they go for second hand.

[quote name='uzzell' post='691113' date='Dec 21 2009, 11:26 PM']Not sure what the shop will charge for it but hopefully find out tomorrow, what would be a fair price do you think? I've never seen one before so have no idea what sort of price they go for second hand.[/quote]

I got the smaller version the Twin for the equivilant of around £150-200, i have seen quadras go between 300 and 500.

[quote name='stevie' post='691408' date='Dec 22 2009, 12:18 PM']Valve amps belong in a museum next to black and white TVs. You wanted an opinion? It may be a minority opinion, but that's mine.[/quote]

I do tend to agree with that actually. I tend to go for the more Hi-Fi sound that my MarkBass amp gives me, however saying that, I do love the aggresive sound of valve's. Think about the Bob Westons bass sound in Shellac, absolutely rocking!! I love that sound but dont know if I can make do with it all the time. If the Quatra Valve ends up being priced well, I may as well take a punt on it, if I end up not liking it then I'm sure a fellow Basschater would have it off me.

[quote name='uzzell' post='691414' date='Dec 22 2009, 12:25 PM']I do tend to agree with that actually. I tend to go for the more Hi-Fi sound that my MarkBass amp gives me, however saying that, I do love the aggresive sound of valve's.[/quote]

I think you may be confusing Valve amps with aggresive valve sounds.
Most of the best HiFi amps are Valve driven and go clean all the way, a Quatra or most other Valve Bass amps will go very very loud without distorting, all depends how you set them up, but they will be warm and have feeling unlike most Trans that can be made to sound more harsh or tinny.

[quote name='SS73' post='691435' date='Dec 22 2009, 12:49 PM']I think you may be confusing Valve amps with aggresive valve sounds.
Most of the best HiFi amps are Valve driven and go clean all the way, a Quatra or most other Valve Bass amps will go very very loud without distorting, all depends how you set them up, but they will be warm and have feeling unlike most Trans that can be made to sound more harsh or tinny.[/quote]
true dat, valves are much more linear in their distortion and clip alot softer than transistors. Valve > SS for clean hifi sounds with the added bonus of being able to crank it. I want to know where people get this misinformed view that valve amps only sound good when cranked and can't do hifi sounds!

[quote name='umph' post='691472' date='Dec 22 2009, 01:28 PM']true dat, valves are much more linear in their distortion and clip alot softer than transistors. Valve > SS for clean hifi sounds with the added bonus of being able to crank it. I want to know where people get this misinformed view that valve amps only sound good when cranked and can't do hifi sounds![/quote]

SS does nice hifi sounds too though.

[quote name='Shockwave' post='691188' date='Dec 22 2009, 01:28 AM']I got the smaller version the Twin for the equivilant of around £150-200, i have seen quadras go between 300 and 500.[/quote]

I'd love to get my hands on one of those Twin Valve Jobs, partly why I'm interested in that Ashdown LB head.

You don't often see any of these all-valve Trace heads, well, anywhere, so if it's in good nic, I'm sure the shop'll find a buyer for it...

Eude

I've got a VA350 which was the predecessor to the Hexa. It's quite odd in that it's got two preamps - an all valve jobbie sans tone controls and the standard GP11. You can route the two together if that takes your fancy. It's also allows you to switch the power down to as little as 80w if you really like the sound of hard driven tubes. Anyone know if the Quadra has the same switching capabilities?

[quote name='eude' post='691615' date='Dec 22 2009, 04:12 PM']You don't often see any of these all-valve Trace heads, well, anywhere, so if it's in good nic, I'm sure the shop'll find a buyer for it...

Eude[/quote]

Well you say that but I do happen to live in a musical backwater. Most people around here would only be able to recognise a Marshall amp so something like this would seem pretty alien to the locals.

I had a Twin Valve for a while and it was a nice head. It wasn't what I'd call aggressive though; my Ashdown ABM500 is much more aggressive (and I owned both at the same time so a/b'd frequently). I found it warm and slightly glassy at the same time, for want of a better description. It gave great body to my Rick CS, but wasn't as successful as the Ashdown with my 4000 or 4001.

I'd say the Quattra is definitely worth getting though; a lot more power and if you don't like it you'll easily sell it; the people who love them REALLY love them.