Why become a member? ×

Funk and Groove

Pete Academy

[quote name='molan' post='931540' date='Aug 21 2010, 12:16 AM']I hadn't heard it for years & they played it on the PA at the big Incognito anniversary gig at the Town & Country - set the floor alight :)

I have a great 4CD box set that's full of stuff from this era.

Kicks of with Archie Bell & the Drells - Let's Groove:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-svXGMYjLs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-svXGMYjLs[/url][/quote]

Followed by the Philadelphia All Stars - Let's Clean Up the Ghetto:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1T6A1fFq-Y"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1T6A1fFq-Y[/url]

This is the 'short' version - there's a longer extended mix on YT if you want a full 8.5 minutes of this groove :rolleyes:

Can I play? :)

Loving all of this. The best thread ever....

If it hasn't been here before.....Montana Sextet - Heavy Vibes.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALL9okvFZ1o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALL9okvFZ1o[/url]

And in a similar vein...Raw Silk - Do it to the Music.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2nNbE5gQ6M&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2nNbE5gQ6M...feature=related[/url]

And how about Rare Silk - New York Afternoon.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHXIDteL824&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHXIDteL824...feature=related[/url]

Jazz funk overload... Greg Henderson - Dreaming

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVlR0kBoojQ&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVlR0kBoojQ...feature=related[/url]

Edited by lapolpora

[quote name='Stingray5' post='710144' date='Jan 12 2010, 05:09 PM']I actually thought of 'East River' while on this thread last week but got so distracted with other tracks, I totally forgot. Honest, guv! :)
Anyway, just to say, it's one of my all-time fave funk tracks. Yeah - Heavy Metal Be-Bop... :rolleyes:

Along with East River, I was also going to post some Joe Hubbard and others.

[b]Joe Hubbard - Can't Find The Time[/b]

[b]Joe Hubbard - Auspicious Time[/b]

[b]Ronnie Laws - Always There[/b] (couldn't see if this had already been posted).
(So many other versions of this tune: e.g. Willie Bobo's is a good 'un)

[b]B Baker & The Chocolate Company - Snowblower[/b]

...and finally...

[b]Norman Connors - Black Cow[/b]
[/quote]

Hi Stingray5

Thanks for remembering! Those were the days- I have great memories playing those tracks in LA with Dave Garabaldi, Patches Stewart, Michael Paulo, Kei Agagi and Frank Gambali. One small correction though- the second Hubbard's Cubbard clip is actually called Auspicious Romance.

I wanted to post some of my funk and groove influences, but can't figure out how to post a Youtube clip here. The embebded code doesn't seem to work. Assistance needed.

Peace

Joe

Edited by Joe Hubbard Bass

[quote name='Joe Hubbard Bass' post='934192' date='Aug 23 2010, 09:23 PM']Hi Stingray5

Thanks for remembering! Those were the days- I have great memories playing those tracks in LA with Dave Garabaldi, Patches Stewart, Michael Paulo, Kei Agagi and Frank Gambali. One small correction though- the second Hubbard's Cubbard clip is actually called Auspicious Romance.

I wanted to post some of my funk and groove influences, but can't figure out how to post a Youtube clip here. The embebded code doesn't seem to work. Assistance needed.

Peace

Joe[/quote]
Hi Joe, welcome to Basschat. I also have fond memories of the stuff you did with Morrissey-Mullen having caught a bunch of their gigs way back when.
But I know they had a number of different bassists for live so I'm afraid I can't remember which gigs I would have seen where you were on bass. :lol:
Hammy Odeon supporting Al Jarreau maybe? :)

[b]Youtube posts[/b] -
under the video on the Youtube page, click where it says 'Share' and the URL line should already be highlighted.
All you really need is what comes after the '=' sign.
Copy this (Ctrl+C) and then paste it (Ctrl+V) into the Basschat post editor.

Example: [b](youtube)oTXgLPhnChk(/youtube)[/b]
Note: the words '[b]youtube[/b]' and '[b]/youtube[/b]' (including the forward slash) should be wrapped in [b]square brackets: [ ][/b] - not the round brackets.
I can't show the proper code example as it will just render the actual video.
Preview your post to make sure it all shows up correctly.

Hope this all makes sense. :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Steve

Edited by Stingray5

Hi Steve

Thanks for that, I'll try posting some stuff later on today.

I was with Morrissey-Mullen from early 1982 to around August 1983. The support gig I did with them at the Hammersmith Odeon was with Roy Ayers. While I was with them we gigged on an average of 5 to 6 nights a week. We played the Half Moon in Putney every Tuesday- maybe you saw us there? I recorded an album with them called "It's About Time" and Jim Mullen used Hubbard's Cubbard as a backing band for his solo album called "Thumbs Up." After I got back from the Warriors Tour with Numan I returned and gigged with them for another 6-months. After that Jim and Dick wanted a change so that line-up disbanded.

Henry Thomas filled in for me while I was with Gary and I think Trevor Barry joined the new line-up. I learned a lot from that gig and Jim and Dick were both great mentors.

Peace

Joe

[quote name='Joe Hubbard Bass' post='934418' date='Aug 24 2010, 08:18 AM']Hi Steve

I was with Morrissey-Mullen from early 1982 to around August 1983. The support gig I did with them at the Hammersmith Odeon was with Roy Ayers. While I was with them we gigged on an average of 5 to 6 nights a week. We played the Half Moon in Putney every Tuesday- maybe you saw us there? I recorded an album with them called "It's About Time" and Jim Mullen used Hubbard's Cubbard as a backing band for his solo album called "Thumbs Up." After I got back from the Warriors Tour with Numan I returned and gigged with them for another 6-months. After that Jim and Dick wanted a change so that line-up disbanded.

Henry Thomas filled in for me while I was with Gary and I think Trevor Barry joined the new line-up. I learned a lot from that gig and Jim and Dick were both great mentors.

Peace

Joe[/quote]

Good to see you on the forum, Joe. I've still got the 'Bud' album on vinyl.

You did a seminar in Stoke in the 80s for our store, R & B Music. I think it was some connection with Peavey. A great night, as I recall. :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='934433' date='Aug 24 2010, 08:49 AM']Good to see you on the forum, Joe. I've still got the 'Bud' album on vinyl.

You did a seminar in Stoke in the 80s for our store, R & B Music. I think it was some connection with Peavey. A great night, as I recall. :)[/quote]

Cheers Pete, glad to be aboard! Thanks for the welcome.

Peace

Joe

Some early influences that I had included the amazing Louis Johnson. This track from George Duke's Guardian of the Light is dope:

Another player who influenced me to great degree was Byron Miller. I got to hang out with Byron for a week when I was going to Berklee when he was playing with George Duke at a small club called the Jazz Workshop. This was just before Reach For It came out:

Pleasure was a hard grooving funk band with Nathaniel Phillips on bass. This track No Matter What just kills:

Last but not least, I had to add Stanley Clarke playing a smokin' duet with Steve Gadd. Stanley was the guy who inspired me to become a professional musician:

Hope you guys dig these tracks.

Peace

Joe

[quote name='Joe Hubbard Bass' post='935515' date='Aug 24 2010, 11:23 PM']Some early influences that I had included the amazing Louis Johnson. This track from George Duke's Guardian of the Light is dope:

Another player who influenced me to great degree was Byron Miller. I got to hang out with Byron for a week when I was going to Berklee when he was playing with George Duke at a small club called the Jazz Workshop. This was just before Reach For It came out:

Pleasure was a hard grooving funk band with Nathaniel Phillips on bass. This track No Matter What just kills:

Last but not least, I had to add Stanley Clarke playing a smokin' duet with Steve Gadd. Stanley was the guy who inspired me to become a professional musician:

Hope you guys dig these tracks.

Peace

Joe[/quote]

Nice selection of tracks Joe.

I really love Braylon Lacy's live bass line on 'Back In the Day' with Erykah Badu. Listen to 1:53 onwards for some smokin' P-Bass flatwound grooves.

Edited by risingson

[quote name='Joe Hubbard Bass' post='934418' date='Aug 24 2010, 08:18 AM']Hi Steve

Peace

Joe[/quote]
Glad you got the YT vids on here ok, Joe. Nice choice of tracks, too. :)
Definitely saw you a few times at The Half Moon (I was living in Brixton at the time). Guess it could've been Trevor Barry (or maybe John McKenzie?) that I saw with Morrissey-Mullen at Hammersmith. (Guess the old memory cells have diminished a little over the years! :rolleyes: ).

I actually still have "Thumbs Up" on vinyl. Come to that, I also have "Hubbards Cubbard" on vinyl, too (along with "Vanishing Point" on CD). Do you still have your BB1200?
Sorry, don't mean to sound like some kind of suck-up but I have very fond memories of those times. Like John Waters' Jazz gigs at The Plough in Stockwell Road (saw guys like Jeff Berlin and Roy Babbington there). Also SFX with Alan Murphy at The Cricketers in Kennington, next to The Oval. Felix Krish on bass.

Good times...

Steve

[quote name='Stingray5' post='935564' date='Aug 25 2010, 01:03 AM']Glad you got the YT vids on here ok, Joe. Nice choice of tracks, too. :)
Definitely saw you a few times at The Half Moon (I was living in Brixton at the time). Guess it could've been Trevor Barry (or maybe John McKenzie?) that I saw with Morrissey-Mullen at Hammersmith. (Guess the old memory cells have diminished a little over the years! :rolleyes: ).

I actually still have "Thumbs Up" on vinyl. Come to that, I also have "Hubbards Cubbard" on vinyl, too (along with "Vanishing Point" on CD). Do you still have your BB1200?
Sorry, don't mean to sound like some kind of suck-up but I have very fond memories of those times. Like John Waters' Jazz gigs at The Plough in Stockwell Road (saw guys like Jeff Berlin and Roy Babbington there). Also SFX with Alan Murphy at The Cricketers in Kennington, next to The Oval. Felix Krish on bass.

Good times...

Steve[/quote]

I don't have the Yamaha bass anymore. I must have sold that in 1983. That was a great bass and was my primary instrument during that Morrisey-Mullen era.

The Cricketer's was a regular gig for Hubbard's Cubbard for about 2-years.

Peace

Joe

New Jamiroquai tune. It was available for paid download off a Dutch website (a bit early?), so inevitably someone put it on youtube.

Haven't made my mind up about the song yet, but of course Paul's groove was the first thing that stood out!

Edited by Huwberry

In a real jazzy mood tonight...

L'Image - Love Play
can you get 5 more well-respected guys than these...?
Mike Mainieri (vib); Warren Bernhardt (keys); David Spinozza (g); Tony Levin (:); Steve Gadd(d)
This track starts with a real 'smooth groove' and gradually picks up the funk. Nice!

Miles Davis - One Phone Call (live)
Killer bass line from Daryll Jones

• 3 weeks later...

I can't get Cheryl Lynn's excellent track, "Got To Be Real", out of my head as it's doing the rounds again on TV (M&S ad?) but I'm pretty sure it's already been posted here in the 'F&G' thread.
So instead, especially as it's Toto backing her on that track, I thought I'd put up Toto's very own "Georgy Porgy" which originally featured Cheryl Lynn.
However, this is an excellent live version from 1990. Lukather in fine form on guitar and vocal, dear Jeff Porcaro drumming; the band is cookin'! :)
(Not sure who the female singer and two backing vocalists are. Apologies if Georgy is already posted here somewhere, too! )

Edited by Stingray5

[quote name='Stingray5' post='957901' date='Sep 16 2010, 12:33 AM']I can't get Cheryl Lynn's excellent track, "Got To Be Real", out of my head as it's doing the rounds again on TV (M&S ad?) but I'm pretty sure it's already been posted here in the 'F&G' thread.
So instead, especially as it's Toto backing her on that track, I thought I'd put up Toto's very own "Georgy Porgy" which originally featured Cheryl Lynn.
However, this is an excellent live version from 1990. Lukather in fine form on guitar and vocal, dear Jeff Porcaro drumming; the band is cookin'! :)
(Not sure who the female singer and two backing vocalists are. Apologies if Georgy is already posted here somewhere, too! )

[/quote]
Yes! That version is sick. Love the alternate harmony in the verses. And David Paich is disgusting.

I'm so very glad Prince isn't so ruthless with the removal of YouTube videos anymore. About a year ago, I wouldn't have had a chance of seeing gems like this:

The main section of this song, regardless of the over-indulgence at the end, always gives me chills. To have that supplemented by a massive John Blackwell and Rhonda Smith rhythm section is perfection IMO.

• 2 weeks later...