Why become a member? ×

Punk/Ska Bassist

Basska

[quote name='William James Easton' post='673072' date='Dec 3 2009, 12:43 PM']Jason Black is amazing.
However HWM went right down the toilet after 'A flight and A crash' (the basement at Leeds for that tour was one of my favourite gigs ever). And i've not listened to the Draft, so don't know if he's pulling the same tricks?

side note HWM don't fit on this thread at all IMHO. much more than 'punk revival' trash.[/quote]

Really? Caution is my favourite album, and The New What Next has got some great tracks on. The Draft do just sound like HWM without Chuck Ragan, and maybe with less of an edge. Not too much difference between The New What Next and A Million Pieces anyway.

But no, they don't fit into that catagory, but Black was an influence on me when I was playing that kind of punk.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='673362' date='Dec 3 2009, 04:25 PM']Bit of LTJ Ska

[/quote]

? Sorry but I don't hear it.. there's no Ska (as I know it) in there at all .
It just sounds like McFly with a trombone ....

Am I missing the point here?

Edit: I'm not saying it's bad as I happen to like McFly and this sort of stuff ...

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='673372' date='Dec 3 2009, 04:40 PM']This might tie the two together better for you Si.

[/quote]

Well, yeah, I can certainly hear Ska in that .. in fact if you'd have asked me to categorise that I'd have said Ska-punk .. but I can't see the join ..

Oh well, back to my well worn copy of My Boy Lolipop :)

Keep up the good work guys!
Some amazing replies! I'm just walking out the door to play a show so i can't get into it properly but, off the top of my head some albums to check out!

i'll start with Ska and get back later!

Leftover crack (ska/punk/Rocksteady) F**k World Trade or Mediocre Generica or any Victim
Any Less Than Jake album really apart from 'In with the out crowd' (we don't even class that as an album in our band)
Operation Ivy self titled (Matt Freeman and Tim Armstrong before Rancid)
No doubt self titled or Tragic Kingdom and a song called 'Total Hate' off the Beacon Street Collection (No Boubt/ Sublime split)
Any Reel Big Fish Album
Any Catch 22 album (my favourite is Keasbey Nights)

that's just a few
manager is nagging me eeek!
gotta go!!!!

[quote name='Basska' post='673462' date='Dec 3 2009, 05:47 PM']Keep up the good work guys!
Some amazing replies! I'm just walking out the door to play a show so i can't get into it properly but, off the top of my head some albums to check out!

i'll start with Ska and get back later!

Leftover crack (ska/punk/Rocksteady) F**k World Trade or Mediocre Generica or any Victim
Any Less Than Jake album really apart from 'In with the out crowd' (we don't even class that as an album in our band)
[b]Operation Ivy[/b] self titled (Matt Freeman and Tim Armstrong before Rancid)
No doubt self titled or Tragic Kingdom and a song called 'Total Hate' off the Beacon Street Collection (No Boubt/ Sublime split)
Any Reel Big Fish Album
Any Catch 22 album (my favourite is Keasbey Nights)

that's just a few
manager is nagging me eeek!
gotta go!!!![/quote]

jesse michaels - common rider and now classics of love.

I love 90's era punk ala lagwagon and the descendents. As far as bassists go you have to mention Matt Freeman, again he was the reason I started playing bass after hearing Journey to the end for the first time, still give me shivers. One my other favourites who hasn't been mentioned is Karl Alvarez from The Descendents and later All. He has a lot of the pace and melody of Matt Freeman but played with fingers which bloody impresses me! I'm always impressed by the dude from Anti-flag too, quite groovy.

On the ska punk thing I was always a huge fan of choking victim, capdown and early howards alias, spent my younger years skanking away in dirty clubs in oxford, probably why I'm so good at it now.. :)

I've been so busy thinking about me ska to even mention the punkers!
Karl Alvarez is the bomb man and so is the Anti Flag bassist (can't remember his name)

I'd Recommend A New Kind of Army if i was to choose a good Anit Flag album example
and for Karl Alvarez I much prefer his work with ALL as apposed to the Descendants but saying that 'I'm the One' by the D's is a amazing song with a tricky as bass line!

I know of Fishbone but don't know any. Any album recommendations?

We've nicely progressed to the more British side of things!

Capdown bass lines are fairly mediocre in my opinion! Amazing band nonetheless I'd recommend 'Civil Disobedients' or if you like it a bit heavier 'Pound for the Sound' or if you like it a bit more progressive 'Wind up Toys'. Some of the best of the Skacore genre, again imo

Howards Alias bassist is an awesome player! I'd say try any of their albums that isn't the newest one. The band has actually split up now sadly :)

If you like your Dub/Ska I'd recommend The Skints. Played with them about an hour ago and they're awesome. They're first cd isn't that good of quality tho the songs are good. They've got a new album out aswell but I don't know anything about it

Chris

I know of the bassists TS posted, and I'm getting a bit more into punk every day. My recent discovery is Propagandhi. I've realised that Todd Kowalski is a pretty tight bassist with some nice fills and good punk tone.

EDIT: Ah, I see I missed the ska bit out.. Ah well, good bassist nonetheless

Edited by HMX

[quote name='Basska' post='673816' date='Dec 4 2009, 12:30 AM']I know of Fishbone but don't know any. Any album recommendations?[/quote]

Fishbone are a bit difficult to recommend, they change styles on a whim, it depends what you like. They're amazing musicians though.

Their first (eponymous) EP is mostly ska/punk sounding ('Party At Ground Zero' is on it), the second CD 'In Your Face' has some '80s-sounding pop/funk on it and a couple of Jamaican-influenced tunes, 'Truth And Soul' is sort-of a rock album, has a Curtis Mayfield cover on it, no real ska as such except 'Ma and Pa', but it has 'Bonin' In The Boneyard' on it which is a really full-on bass part. 'Reality Of My Surroundings' has a totally mental mix of funk, reggae, ska and punk, but I think it's probably their most representative record, and the last album with the original line-up 'Give A Monkey A Brain And He'll Swear He's The Centre Of The Universe' is... Well it's thrash metal, soft rock, Parliament-style funk, that tune I linked to above, some other really messed-up stuff. They got dropped from their label for making that record. :rolleyes: I think it's a lot like a Parliament record in that when you're done listening to it, you feel like someone's been upstairs giving you a quick and clumsy rewiring.

[quote name='Basska' post='673816' date='Dec 4 2009, 12:30 AM']If you like your Dub/Ska I'd recommend The Skints. Played with them about an hour ago and they're awesome. They're first cd isn't that good of quality tho the songs are good. They've got a new album out aswell but I don't know anything about it[/quote]

I've had the new album on quite a lot over the last couple of weeks, there's some very strong material on it, but there are a couple of tunes from the old EP on there (Murderer, Sociopath). Still, they are talented, hard-working kids that lot. :)

[quote name='HMX' post='673826' date='Dec 4 2009, 12:50 AM']I know of the bassists TS posted, and I'm getting a bit more into punk every day. My recent discovery is [size=4][b]Propagandhi[/b]. [/size]I've realised that Todd Kowalski is a pretty tight bassist with some nice fills and good punk tone.

EDIT: Ah, I see I missed the ska bit out.. Ah well, good bassist nonetheless[/quote]

welcome aboard my good man. Before people get carried away with the anti-corpotation messages from RATM on *cough, cough*Epic records (not taking anything away from there musical status), people should listen to this band. Great songs with a really good message thrown in. and they're canadian isf thats worth anything? i'm a little sad that these guys have fallen out of my music collection in recent years, must be time for a reviaval.

Less Talk, More Rock!

[quote name='William James Easton' post='673885' date='Dec 4 2009, 07:48 AM']welcome aboard my good man. Before people get carried away with the anti-corpotation messages from RATM on *cough, cough*Epic records (not taking anything away from there musical status), people should listen to this band. Great songs with a really good message thrown in. and they're canadian isf thats worth anything? i'm a little sad that these guys have fallen out of my music collection in recent years, must be time for a reviaval.

Less Talk, More Rock![/quote]

We always cover Ska Sucks at the end of our set, we almost played with them a few years back.