Why become a member? ×

****SOLD**** 1959 P Bass "Feeler" refin otherwise original

sixshooter

[quote name='sixshooter' post='66683' date='Nov 26 2009, 10:31 PM']I cannot imagine that it would have this much play ware and not had a refret at some time, although if it has its been done by someone who knows their stuff[/quote]

Yes re-fret understandable - but jolly well done!

And the 're-fin' is excellent (Bravewood?).

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='666884' date='Nov 26 2009, 11:22 PM']Yes re-fret understandable - but jolly well done!

And the 're-fin' is excellent (Bravewood?).[/quote]

I am fortunate in that Joe White lives about a mile away from me, he did the re-fin, he has also built a number of guitars for me in the past. Joe is a great guy!

[quote name='jonthebass' post='667045' date='Nov 27 2009, 08:21 AM']Don't sell it sixshooter, unless you really have to.
That's a cracking bass, well done that man![/quote]

Thanks Jon, if it goes it will go to a good and careing home! unless my circumstance force otherwise! It does need sharing and not just left sitting in a case, so if nothing comes of it at least it has given a number of people on Basschat some pleasure, (or even wet trousers) :)

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='666867' date='Nov 26 2009, 11:07 PM']:rolleyes: now, anyone who knows me, knows that P's ain't my tankard of chardonnay, but JeZuS that's BEAUTIFUL! The burst, the dark dark DARK board, the neckware, the body mojo, GAH! it's like deciding what you like best about a kingsized bed with Angelina Jolie, Keira Knightly, Olivia Wilde and Scarlet Johanson, all wearing nothing but lashings of whipped cream and a 'come hither' look!

mmmmm....[s]whipped cream[/s] mojo'd P *drool*[/quote]

I'll do the whipped cream, you do the mojo'd P.

[attachment=37153:whippedcream.jpg]

:)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='667090' date='Nov 27 2009, 09:25 AM']I'll do the whipped cream, you do the mojo'd P.

[attachment=37153:whippedcream.jpg]

:rolleyes:[/quote]

I would say it looks like an early 70's cover, not been touched up or air brushed, and looks in fairly good nick for a player! :)

[quote name='budget bassist' post='667807' date='Nov 27 2009, 10:15 PM']if i'm allowed to ask, has it been relic'd or is that "a couple of years" of wear? :) i'm just curious[/quote]
he's already said, it was refinished [i]around[/i] the original wear and tear, brilliantly

[quote name='Kev' post='667809' date='Nov 27 2009, 10:18 PM']he's already said, it was refinished [i]around[/i] the original wear and tear, brilliantly[/quote]
oh right ok i kind of skim read. In that case, it's a rather cool refin :)

EDIT: wait, if it had been stripped, how do you know where the wear was? sorry if i'm being dense! it is a cool bass though

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='budget bassist' post='667810' date='Nov 27 2009, 10:20 PM']oh right ok i kind of skim read. In that case, it's a rather cool refin :)

EDIT: wait, if it had been stripped, how do you know where the wear was? sorry if i'm being dense! it is a cool bass though[/quote]

Some of the wear had made dents and indents into the wood so the re-fin was done around this wear, the rest has been done in line with other P's of that age that I have either seen or had photo's of. That way it is as close as you can get.

Joe is a real craftsman when it comes to this sort of thing!

[quote name='pietruszka' post='668212' date='Nov 28 2009, 01:00 PM']Thanks for putting pics up, that is a stunning bass!!! Have any idea of the value of it?

Dan

P.S Dont sell it![/quote]

Thanks Dan, got a good idea what its worth.

At the moment I have a number of interested parties but thats all. Not too bothered if it does not sell as the price will most likely only go one way up, but if someone wants it and it is a reasonable offer, (not a silly price), then I will let it go purely because I am downsizing my collection and happy to take a bit of profit on what I paid for it a couple of years ago.

Steve

[quote name='sixshooter' post='668592' date='Nov 28 2009, 06:46 PM']Thanks Dan, got a good idea what its worth.

At the moment I have a number of interested parties but thats all. Not too bothered if it does not sell as the price will most likely only go one way up, but if someone wants it and it is a reasonable offer, (not a silly price), then I will let it go purely because I am downsizing my collection and happy to take a bit of profit on what I paid for it a couple of years ago.

Steve[/quote]

Someone has to ask... what price are you looking for Steve?

[quote name='craigonbass' post='668968' date='Nov 29 2009, 10:58 AM']:) Hi Steve

Don't sell it!!!!

I've been lucky enough to have played this bass when you brought it to the Jam to show it off, and it play as good as it looks (and I'm not really a precision fan!!!)

You should keep it.

Craig[/quote]

Thanks Craig, I almost converted you to the P side, high praise for the Bass indeed.

I have had a number of interested parties but no takers so it looks like I will be keeping it for a while longer, I think it deserves better than the sharks on evil bay.

[quote name='markorbit' post='668736' date='Nov 28 2009, 09:35 PM']Someone has to ask... what price are you looking for Steve?[/quote]

To put those of you that have not emailed me out of your misery, I was looking for £4k+

Which when you think about it is not far off a Masterbuild price, 2 x CS teambuild or 4 x US P Bass.....for a 50 year old sound machine!

And thanks for all the offers but I am not looking for a trade, the idea is to downsize my rather large collection to the ones I play, and the ones that are part of my musical history.

Looks like I am keeping it for a bit longer, but I will play it now and again just so it does not become one of those Uncle guitars :)

[quote name='markorbit' post='669025' date='Nov 29 2009, 12:07 PM']I do greatly prefer the more yellow bursts of the 60s but financially it's not out of the question. Steve, out of interest, have you another P that you prefer?[/quote]

My 2 main gigging Basses are 1959 Custom Shop relic in Blonde and 1955P (Jap) highly modified in Sonic Blue.

The one I prefer to play is my Black 79P but I have back problems and it is too heavy at the moment.

I have used the original 59P before but most of my gigs nowdays do not warrant using a 50 year old Bass that I would have to keep an eye on all the time.

Steve