Why become a member? ×

FS: pre '75 Ibanez 2366FLB fretless Precision

Beedster

Lovely bass, recently bough from Happy Jack for a specific project and now leaving the Beedster heard at the end of that project. Selling for what I paid, £250.

Here's what Jack had to say:

"I'll never be a fretless-only player, so I need to be able to switch between fretted and fretless really easily. My Ibanez fretless (a 2366 P-bass from 1972) has "fret-edges", i.e. partial frets about a millimetre long set into the side of the fretboard, exactly where the frets would end on a fretted bass, plus the usual side dots you'd expect. When I'm playing, and glance down at the (side of the) neck, it looks like a fretted bass. To the audience, it's an uninterrupted expanse of (stained) rosewood.

[url="http://tinypic.com/a/z8zs/3"]http://tinypic.com/a/z8zs/3[/url]

Brilliantly simply, and simply brilliant. I'd recommend that to any fretted player looking to start playing fretless."

The link in the above quote is still alive so I'm sure Jack won't mind you taking a look at the pics there. The board is virtually unmarked and the PUP is very powerful. A great intro to fretless playing or a decent fretless instrument for blokes who, like me, occasionally need to have the odd line here and there but don't want the punters to know about it!

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='663719' date='Nov 24 2009, 01:45 PM']I'm loving the neck.[/quote]

It's stunning to look at (looks like ebony) and the lines make life so simple, and without letting on that it's a lined board. Having realised how much more in tune I am with them I'm almost certainly going to get Martin Simms to add some to my '77 fretless.

Cheers

C

Gah! Bad timing from hell! This is a bit out of my budget but if I hadn't just done a deal for an 80s Yammy lined fretless I would've been all over this. Hope it stays in BC and I get a shot at it at some point.

[pedant]BTW - it's "1975 or earlier", not 1972. There is absolutely no way of dating pre-serial Ibanez & don't let anyone tell you otherwise.[/pedant] :)

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='663773' date='Nov 24 2009, 02:22 PM']Gah! Bad timing from hell! This is a bit out of my budget but if I hadn't just done a deal for an 80s Yammy lined fretless I would've been all over this. Hope it stays in BC and I get a shot at it at some point.

[pedant]BTW - it's "1975 or earlier", not 1972. There is absolutely no way of dating pre-serial Ibanez & don't let anyone tell you otherwise.[/pedant] :rolleyes:

Jon.[/quote]

Thanks Jon, title revised accordingly :)

Until you posted that, Jon, I'd have sworn it was you who told me it was a '72! :)

That fret-edge idea is so clever that my luthier is currently doing exactly the same to a Mighty Mite neck for me, which will then be fitted to my Lakland Duck Dunn. I've given him a bunch of photos of this Ibanez to work from.

Buy with confidence - this is a really great bass.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='663847' date='Nov 24 2009, 03:21 PM']Until you posted that, Jon, I'd have sworn it was you who told me it was a '72! :)[/quote]
Nah - it appears in a '72 catalogue and so far, that's the earliest sighting, with the incomplete reference materials available to tragic anoraks such as myself! :rolleyes: So it could be anywhere between 72 & mid-75 (when serials started) but could - theoretically - be earlier.

Hope whoever picked this up gets bored with it soon & sells it to me! :brow:

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='664035' date='Nov 24 2009, 05:23 PM']Nah - it appears in a '72 catalogue and so far, that's the earliest sighting, with the incomplete reference materials available to tragic anoraks such as myself! :rolleyes: So it could be anywhere between 72 & mid-75 (when serials started) but could - theoretically - be earlier.

Hope whoever picked this up gets bored with it soon & sells it to me! :brow:

J.[/quote]

Well, given the volume of PMs, even if the sale with the first responder falls through, it's still staying within the forum Jon, so you're in with a shot :)

Now, anyone want a fretless Ric.....

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=66119&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=66119&hl=[/url]

Chris

[quote name='Stu-khag' post='663967' date='Nov 24 2009, 04:34 PM']arrgh missed out on that one which is probably a good thing considering Im in the middle of buying a house

... beautiful[/quote]

There are more important things than basses.

Apparently :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='663972' date='Nov 24 2009, 04:38 PM']That took you nearly three hours, Chris.

You're obviously losing your touch ...

:lol:[/quote]

:rolleyes:

[quote name='deathpanda' post='664002' date='Nov 24 2009, 04:58 PM']I absolutely hate this forum. STOP SHOWING ME BEAUTIFUL THINGS WITHIN MY PRICE RANGE.[/quote]

Sorry

[quote name='wombatboter' post='664024' date='Nov 24 2009, 05:11 PM']An amazing bass for a great price...ideal for aspiring ànd "professional" fretless bassplayers.[/quote]

Agreed, kinda wish I was keeping it now!

Can I just mention how bizarre it is to sit here and read this stuff?

I advertise that Ibby here on Basschat for nearly three months, and take it down to the SouthEast BassBash on the [i]For Sale[/i] table. It is easily available to the entire Basschat community.

Nothing. Nada. Not a sausage. Bugger all. :)

A month after giving up on selling it, and finding that I'm playing it more and more, I get a call from Chris and agree (reluctantly) to sell it to him.

Now Chris advertises the same bass for a couple of HOURS, using my text and asking the same price as I asked, and there's a queue forming that already goes round the block. :rolleyes:

A great career in advertising was clearly never going to be mine ...

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='665642' date='Nov 25 2009, 09:51 PM']Can I just mention how bizarre it is to sit here and read this stuff?

I advertise that Ibby here on Basschat for nearly three months, and take it down to the SouthEast BassBash on the [i]For Sale[/i] table. It is easily available to the entire Basschat community.

Nothing. Nada. Not a sausage. Bugger all. :lol:

A month after giving up on selling it, and finding that I'm playing it more and more, I get a call from Chris and agree (reluctantly) to sell it to him.

Now Chris advertises the same bass for a couple of HOURS, using my text and asking the same price as I asked, and there's a queue forming that already goes round the block. :lol:

A great career in advertising was clearly never going to be mine ...[/quote]

Most basses on here either sell very quickly or take weeks/months. Luck of the draw on who's on the site at the time it's listed I guess?

I wouldn't take it personally Jack :rolleyes:

[quote name='Bassassin' post='665746' date='Nov 25 2009, 11:19 PM']You know I would've had it if I could at the time, Jack.

It's looking less & less likely I'll be getting the Yamaha I mentioned, so now I'm violently kicking myself for missing this. :)

Arse.

J.[/quote]

Violently kicking yourself probably brings you under the jurisdiction of both the Police and Health & Safety.