Why become a member? ×

HELP!

TRadford

I've got some money from Ebay and a small inheritance and I want a new bass (again) but Im now torn between 3.
1) Warwick Corvette standard ash
2) G&L L-2000
3) Musicman Stingray

I love the looks and tone of the Warwick, I love the range of tones from the G&L and I love the look and heritage of the Stingray.

The Stingray will need more money saving up, the G&L I can just about manage now, the Warwick Im not sure on the pricing yet.

Now, I like slimmer jazz necks, but I realize all of the above are bigger than that. They all should be manageable though. From all the videos I have seen, the Warwick makes the nicest sound, but the sheer range the G&L produces could also be very interesting. It would be like having a new bass every time you fiddled with the knobs. The stingray is just one of those must have basses, but Im not sure I want it just yet in case I get bored with it and sell it on.

Any pros and cons to help me decide would be very much obliged. I hate all this decision making stuff.

Corvette: With the ash body it is light, but I found mine tended to be a bit neck heavy because of this. The neck profile was thicker (front to back) than the Jazz it replaced but width-wise was ok. The sound was nice and growly but not refined - but if you're into 'heavier' stuff it suits that well. In the end the neck dive and 'un-finished' look did it for me and it went to the bay.

G&L L2000: As said above the neck is a bit thick for some (1.75" at the nut like an old precision) - I think there are a couple of profile options on the US models tho - one thinner than the other. I personally found the tonal options (on my L2500) amazing but bewildering.

Ray 4: Does what it says on the tin. Less tonal options than the 2 above (assuming you go for the active 'vette) but growls as well as a Wick IMHO. I find the neck profile ok (1.625" at the nut like a new precision), slim (front to back) and fast with the oil finish. If you want a jazz type neck go for the Sterling. Buy one used and you shouldn't lose much if you change your mind.

Oh.....and if you decide to go for the 'vette, do not buy new, good used actives should be easy to come by for <£400.

Edited by martthebass

I have played several of all three, but don't own any of those exact models (though I do own a Musicman and Warwick)

The G&L can sound monstrous, but my one reservation is the pick-up selector switch. I much prefer a pan pot on dual pick-up basses.
There's lots of choice in Stingrays now, even more if you include Sterlings. The good old single H 2EQ is a classic with real clout. I've played some good 3EQ ones, too.
I often find that Warwicks are hindered a bit by the MEC pick-ups and EQs (on the active ones) - the sole exceptions being the Streamer Jazzman (which may have SD Basslines in) and The JJ/J set-up in my Infinity SN4.
That said, if they're just regular 4 string Jazz pick-ups, upgrading them won't be a problem.

I'd feel tempted by the Warwick - find one with a killer unplugged tone and go from there. If it sounds good passive in original trim, leave it alone.
If not, try different pick-ups, then maybe add an EQ of your choosing.
I think the reason I favour the Warwick option is its versatility. The Ray and G&L can sound great, but lack what I feel the Warwick can offer in this respect.
No matter what you choose, you can buy with a degree of confidence as build quality is generally very good from all 3 manufacturers.
Otherwise, don't be afraid to try anything and everything in your price range. There are some wonderful instruments lurking out there.

Enjoy.

Firstly nice problem to have :)

Used to own Stingrays, now use Warwicks. Stingrays are great no doubt about it, the (newish) S/H configuration gives a good range of tone, worth checking out of you can find one. I have a Streamer with the P/J pups and the range of tones is very usable, the neck is slimmer and faster than the Rays. I also have a Thumb and the neck is even slimmer and quicker than the Streamer. Can't speak for the G&L, but for me it's Warwicks all the way.

Naturally the only way you are going to be sure is to try them for yourself.

Happy days!

[quote name='TRadford' post='663176' date='Nov 23 2009, 09:14 PM']I've got some money from Ebay and a small inheritance and I want a new bass (again) but Im now torn between 3.
2) G&L L-2000
3) Musicman Stingray

I love the looks and tone of the Warwick, I love the range of tones from the G&L and I love the look and heritage of the Stingray.

The Stingray will need more money saving up, the G&L I can just about manage now, the Warwick Im not sure on the pricing yet.

Now, I like slimmer jazz necks, but I realize all of the above are bigger than that. They all should be manageable though. From all the videos I have seen, the Warwick makes the nicest sound, but the sheer range the G&L produces could also be very interesting. It would be like having a new bass every time you fiddled with the knobs. The stingray is just one of those must have basses, but Im not sure I want it just yet in case I get bored with it and sell it on.

Any pros and cons to help me decide would be very much obliged. I hate all this decision making stuff.[/quote]

Thanks for all the responses so far, I must admit at the moment Im leaning towards the Warwick, although last week I had my heart set on a Sterling SB14, so thats liable to change without notice :)
Im not sure on the price of the warwick, but I have just seen another post on here that someone is getting a new one for a smidgen under £600, so that bodes well for the price of a second hand one.
I'd love to be to try all of them, but my local music shop isnt blessed with a huge selection, and the only other music shop here in the new Mall thing only has the basic Squier type things. On top of that Im struggling to get around with my back/leg problems I cant really make a trip to a bigger city to check them out, so its going to have to be a case of buy and try. If I dont like, well then someone on here will probably end up with a new bass!

I think that, at least between the Warwick and the 'Ray, you're looking to cover a LOT of ground and looking at very diverse basses. Can you get to a shop and really spend some time with them? I kind of think that a winner would emerge....but you need to give yourself time with them both.

I've been there and don e this many times in the past and rushing into it, almost always, means you get the wrong thing!

If you take your time and find a decent used one you won't lose money so if you find you hate it you can sell it on and go for the next on the list...

I personally think all bass players should own at least one Stingray in their lives; pre EB, 2 band, 3 band doesn't really matter. It's kind of a right of passage that changes a players outlook.

Oh just get yourself a Stingray for crying out loud!!!!

[quote name='TRadford' post='663176' date='Nov 23 2009, 09:14 PM']I've got some money from Ebay and a small inheritance and I want a new bass (again) but Im now torn between 3.
2) G&L L-2000
3) Musicman Stingray

Any pros and cons to help me decide would be very much obliged. I hate all this decision making stuff.[/quote]

Seriously......?, you need to find a shop that has all 3 in stock and will let you sit down and noodle with them for a few mins each...... That will sort the issue for you because all 3 of these will feel a wee bit different but they are all VERY capable basses.

Which one is teh right one for you....? There is only one person who knows that, and you are reading this post!

:)

I had a Stingray recently but only kept it for about a year, won't buy another one. Never did it for me, either the feel of it or the sound, but it did look pretty. I bought it because I figured there must be a good reason why they're so popular but I didn't like it, I've never liked Precisions either.

I nearly bought an L2000 after trying one in a shop, it was an ugly bass but like you said the range of sounds is brilliant and that's what nearly sold me on it. In the end though I figured I don't record that often, and I'd probably just find a couple of sounds I liked and rarely use anything else.

My current main bass is a Warwick. I've had a Corvette before but it was an active 6 with Bartolinis in it. I was gutted when I had to sell it one day to appease the tax man - it was a very nice bass. I haven't tried the passive Corvettes though.

[quote name='basshead56' post='665413' date='Nov 25 2009, 06:11 PM']+1. Also, go buy a Stingray!
:)[/quote]

I've had my 2 band ray for years now. They are fantastic and not a one trick pony that some people think they are. If i had to to take just one bass to a gig it would be my ray.

I checked out the new Ray 34 bass at the Mansons guitar show last month. It's almost half the price of a new full on stingray. There are a couple of basses in that range. Check them out. Me & mate (who also owns a ray) both thought it was brilliant. We couldn't tell where they made the savings.