Why become a member? ×

T'was a gloomy time back in 82

steve-soar

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='654516' date='Nov 14 2009, 02:46 PM']You Know,.. all these bass chatters dissing the 80s,and all those bands that I liked....
well yes, maybe you're right ( &in some ways you are )
they are "irrelivant" now especially to 'some of you younger guys.... but....
'know what you can all Fu#k off!!
level 42,hue and cry, duruitti column,dire straits ,scritti pollitti,eurthmics,bauhaus,stone roses,late police,gowest ,spandau,kagagoogoo,ellisbeggshoward,human league,OMD,late genisis,swing out sister,blow monkeys,lloyd cole and the commotions,the smiths, frankie,tears for fears, king,Fictionfactory,haircut100,Paul young and the royal family......oh GOD too many too mention.. 80s werent crap...(TRUE)

Younger guys? I`m 43 and lived through the 80`s music scene. I play in a covers band, we do alright and are quite busy and no one has ever asked us for Paul Young, Eurythnics, Human league, Haircut 100, etc. I was a heavy rocker in the 80`s (still am I suppose) but I do admit to wearing a skinny gray leather tie on one occasion to impress my missus. It matched my gray oxford tie shoes.
But only the once!

Jez :)[/quote]
Yeah ...but that wasnt my point was it?
"80s were'nt crap" was where I was going!! some good bands, ect
yours (with jacket sleeves rolled up) :rolleyes:
W :lol:

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='654516' date='Nov 14 2009, 02:46 PM']level 42, hue and cry, duruitti column, dire straits , scritti pollitti, eurthmics, bauhaus, stone roses, late police, go west , spandau, kagagoogoo, ellisbeggshoward, human league, OMD, late genisis, swing out sister, blow monkeys, lloyd cole and the commotions, the smiths, frankie, tears for fears, king, Fictionfactory, haircut100, Paul young and the royal family......oh GOD too many too mention.. 80s werent crap...(TRUE)[/quote]

Just reading this list sends shudders through me. Don't get me wrong, there were some plus points to the 1980s, but none of the above. Jeez, Paul Young couldn't carry a tune if his life depended on it. Toast anyone? :)

P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='654625' date='Nov 14 2009, 04:34 PM']Just reading this list sends shudders through me. Don't get me wrong, there were some plus points to the 1980s, but none of the above. Jeez, Paul Young couldn't carry a tune if his life depended on it. Toast anyone? :)

P[/quote]

True, I think if any of those came on my stereo I'd rip it out of the socket and throw it out of the window then stop and hit it with a hammer then defecate on it then set it on fire.

Using 'Toast' as representative of Paul Young's career is a bit like suggesting that Stevie Wonder's sole contribution to music is I Just Called To Say I Love You. Anyone remember the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q-Tips_(band)"]Q-Tips[/url]... 600 gigs in just two years?

Still, it's not surprising to see this turning into a 'The Stuff I Like Is Great And Everything Else Is Crap' thread. We were about due for another one.
:)

It's easy to mock the music of any given time period simply by picking examples that you don't like and therefore illustrate your point.

Remember that whenever you're talking about there was music you'd like and music and music you wouldn't like. If you can't find any that you like it's because YOU'RE NOT LOOKING HARD ENOUGH!

The reason I started this thread was to show how amazing Level 42 were before the arena tours.
1982 was a bad year, Thatcher was looking for re-election and unemployment was killing the country from the inside out. Drugs were everywhere, heroin was destroying towns and cities all over the UK, it was pretty bad.
I was listening to a lot of punk, rock, prog, soul, funk, new wave, there weren't that many genres back then. I was listening to music that I liked and part of that music that I liked was Level 42.
Music for yuppies and stockbrokers? get f***ed. I knew a stockbroker who listened to Captain Beefheart and oscure 60's garage music.
I love Black Flag and Bad Religion and other bands of that ilk but I still have a soft spot for the Gould Brothers era of Level 42.

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='654423' date='Nov 14 2009, 01:50 PM']The 80`s were THE worst time for music. Depeche mode, Spandau ballet, Paul young, Howard jones, etc...

I rest my case.

Jez[/quote]
I dunno, I'm thankful for the 80's, there may have been some cheese produced but at least the fan base didn't take itself so seriously. I found the 90's were far worse. I was doing a fine art degree at the time and I had to escape the studio because my classmates insisted on having the radio tuned into the uni radio station and all they seemed to play were the Smiths and indie music. It got to a point where I couldn't listen to one more dirge but everyone else liked it because it was cool.

At least people listened to happy music in the 70's and 80's and the element of musical craft/skill was appreciated. In my experience the 90's were dire, depressing and dumbed down.

[quote name='Rich' post='654764' date='Nov 14 2009, 07:07 PM']Anyone remember the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q-Tips_(band)"]Q-Tips[/url]... 600 gigs in just two years?[/quote]

I do remember Q-Tips and I do remember they did a lot of gigs. Credit to them. That said, it means nothing. How many people here can name one song The Q-Tips recorded? Who can name one member of The Q-Tips whose name [i]isn't[/i] Paul Young? No cheating now!
P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='654873' date='Nov 14 2009, 10:37 PM']I do remember Q-Tips and I do remember they did a lot of gigs. Credit to them. That said, it means nothing. How many people here can name one song The Q-Tips recorded? Who can name one member of The Q-Tips whose name [i]isn't[/i] Paul Young? No cheating now!
P[/quote]
We will just NEVER agree will we? :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:
same shout, to waynepunk....... :) btw they are called "bad" for a reason you know its not just irony.. :lol:

Edited by witterth

I think every era has its good and bad music. But in the end its all down to taste anyway. I was into early punk, i bought New rose and saw the clash at Bellevue. My band supported Ultravox (john fox era) Elvis Costello and the attractions etc and I loved it all. But then again I liked bands like Wire, OMD, Joy Division etc because it was new and different at the time.

There are merits to be found in all kinds of music whether it be the hook of a bubblegum pop song or a great solo in a rock song it doesn't really matter, its all music.

What I have discovered over the years is you have to change the way you listen to something to appreciate it. I look for different things in different styles of music. For e.g musicianship in jazz and some rock music, great song writing in pop music, new ideas in indie music etc

I love Black Sabbath, The Clash, the stone roses and Pink Floyd, but I also like Level 42, Howard Jones and most other music. The only stuff I can't really get my head round is new R n B and Rap

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='654873' date='Nov 14 2009, 10:37 PM']I do remember Q-Tips and I do remember they did a lot of gigs. Credit to them. That said, it means nothing. How many people here can name one song The Q-Tips recorded? Who can name one member of The Q-Tips whose name [i]isn't[/i] Paul Young? No cheating now!
P[/quote]
I use to go to see Q Tips at The Venue in victoria (greay place to pull "west end girls" by the way). They were a brilliant live act, Paul Young was a great frontman. I didn't like his solo stuff though and I notice he's back to fronting a band again (Cajun stuff I think).
I was a huge Mark King fan, still an admirer, thought Level42 were brilliant muso's,ultra tight,excellent production, etc but thought their songs sucked in content tbh (very few would sound ok on an acoustic guitar, which kinda shows a song for what it is). But they cornered a market, got people dancing during a pretty crap time politically and got Joe public interested in bass guitar. And hey, MK and the band are famous and probably got a few quid, and here I am trying to learn Hysteria for the next function on saturday (not a Muse fan, but punters like it)....so I hats off to them, we're till talking about them 25 years on! :)