Why become a member? ×

Cheap MM Sub 5

BassBunny

Have just "bought" A MM Sub 5 off e-Bay.
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270172808546&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=017"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...N:IT&ih=017[/url]
When I e-mailed the guy to tell him I would collect on Saturday, (as I am in Leylend which is right next door), here is the reply.

[i]am so sorry!

I have just been getting the bass from the loft and i dropped in down the ladder onto a concrete floor, the bass neck has split and the headstock has come off......

.. you can guess i am pissed..

will see what i can do with it and maybe put it back up, but i wont be happy with you taking it away as it will cost you alot to have repaired!

I will leave you positive feedback, but dont return the favour as it was not your falut!

Again i am sorry and hope you can understand :)

if you could please reply that would be good for peace of mind

Sam Norton[/i]

Went too cheap or a con merchant unearthed????

Edited by BassBunny

Strange, on the 6th October he says he had packed it, therefore he was unable to take anymore pics.

I think its bullshit.
didnt get the price he wanted I reckon. Bet its relisted before long with a reserve!!

Edited by neilb

[quote name='neilb' post='71318' date='Oct 8 2007, 10:28 PM']Strange, on the 6th October he says he had packed it, therefore he was unable to take anymore pics.

I think its bullshit.
didnt get the price he wanted I reckon. Bet its relisted before long with a reserve!![/quote]
My Sentiments exactly. We are playing e-mail tennis at the moment.
I pulled him up on the fact it was packed up ready to go. He now says he hasn't a camera and didn't want to feel a fool by admiting it !!!!!!
I have asked him to borrow a Camera or Camera phone and take a picture of the damage as I may be interested in putting a new neck on it if I can get it for a song. Have offered to drop in on Saturday when I am in the area.....
Here's the reply;

[i]Wow yeah sure that a nice surprise didnt think i would be able to get much out of it now, yes of course i will try my best to get my hands on a camera!

MANY THANKS!!

Sam[/i]
I will be keeping a watchful eye for a re-list and then report him.
Won't do any good, but will make me feel better.:)

[quote name='BassBunny' post='71322' date='Oct 8 2007, 10:41 PM']My Sentiments exactly. We are playing e-mail tennis at the moment.
I pulled him up on the fact it was packed up ready to go. He now says he hasn't a camera and didn't want to feel a fool by admiting it !!!!!!
I have asked him to borrow a Camera or Camera phone and take a picture of the damage as I may be interested in putting a new neck on it if I can get it for a song. Have offered to drop in on Saturday when I am in the area.....
Here's the reply;

[i]Wow yeah sure that a nice surprise didnt think i would be able to get much out of it now, yes of course i will try my best to get my hands on a camera!

MANY THANKS!!

Sam[/i]
I will be keeping a watchful eye for a re-list and then report him.
Won't do any good, but will make me feel better.:)[/quote]

I'd stay well clear and put it down to experience
Chris

I think you should call his bluff and go round, whether he 'gets his hands on a camera' or not. Leyland is easy to get to from Manchester, and a deal is a deal. You could ask him how he would of reacted if someone bid £600 and then pulled out after the auction ended

[quote name='Beedster' post='71405' date='Oct 9 2007, 07:09 AM']I'd stay well clear and put it down to experience
Chris[/quote]
Hi Chris,
Already have done. In fact I did the minute I got the first e-mail from him. I have no intention of dealing with him. I was just trying to see how much "wriggling and squirming" he could do.
I am going to be a couple of miles away from Preston on Saturday and after repeated requests for his address, it has gone very quiet.
I had a feeling about it form the word go. Don't know why.....

[quote name='BassBunny' post='71459' date='Oct 9 2007, 10:26 AM']Hi Chris,
Already have done. In fact I did the minute I got the first e-mail from him. I have no intention of dealing with him. I was just trying to see how much "wriggling and squirming" he could do.
I am going to be a couple of miles away from Preston on Saturday and after repeated requests for his address, it has gone very quiet.
I had a feeling about it form the word go. Don't know why.....[/quote]

There are some idiots on abay. I tend to think that once someone has shown himself to be such an idiot, the best thing is to cut your losses and run. Several people here might suggest that putting him under pressure will get you your bass at the sale price. My gut instinct is that dodgy people tend to be even more dodgy under pressure. OK, he might be a kid who regrets selling the bass he thought he'd get £500 for for less than £300. However, he might just be a crim who's selling knocked off gear and isn't going to appreciate you going round poking your nose in...?
God luck either way
Chris
PS you've got to ask yourself why it is that, given that SUB5s have recently sold in the region of £500, this one went so cheap anyway?

Why doesn't someone from this forum just drop him a line saying that you missed out on bidding on the item and haven't seen any feedback relating to it and ask if the deal fell through.

Also say you thought it went a bit cheaply - you were looking for a MM5 Sun and would be happy to pay £450 odd.

He then admits he still has bass for sale, offers to sort something out and you e-mail evidence to ebay and get his arse banned.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='72168' date='Oct 10 2007, 02:07 PM']Why doesn't someone from this forum just drop him a line saying that you missed out on bidding on the item and haven't seen any feedback relating to it and ask if the deal fell through.

Also say you thought it went a bit cheaply - you were looking for a MM5 Sun and would be happy to pay £450 odd.

He then admits he still has bass for sale, offers to sort something out and you e-mail evidence to ebay and get his arse banned.[/quote]

Think youve just volunteered yerself, meoldmukka!!!

[quote name='BassBunny' post='71305' date='Oct 8 2007, 10:00 PM']I have just been getting the bass from the loft and i dropped in down the ladder onto a concrete floor, the bass neck has split and the headstock has come off......[/quote]

who keeps their bass in the loft?? and has a concrete landing?

ebay seems like a right mess at the moment

i just looked through it i reckon you could drop that in its case from 6ft and it'd would be fine!
wtf

Edited by grosa

[quote name='bassbloke' post='72168' date='Oct 10 2007, 02:07 PM']Why doesn't someone from this forum just drop him a line saying that you missed out on bidding on the item and haven't seen any feedback relating to it and ask if the deal fell through.

He then admits he still has bass for sale, offers to sort something out and you e-mail evidence to ebay and get his arse banned.[/quote]

Ive messaged him will be interesting to know what he says

[quote name='kevbass' post='72296' date='Oct 10 2007, 06:11 PM']Ive messaged him will be interesting to know what he says[/quote]

I emailed him last night asking if it was still for sale saying that i would be happy to pay more etc.

He replied straight away saying that it had been sold.

I reckon he's changed his mind and has decided to keep it.

[quote name='butlerk02' post='72399' date='Oct 10 2007, 09:13 PM']I emailed him last night asking if it was still for sale saying that i would be happy to pay more etc.

I reckon he's changed his mind and has decided to keep it.[/quote]
Thanks for that Guys. I appreciate the help. I was about to use my wife's e-Bay account to contact him, but he just may have sussed.
Will keep my eye open on fleaBay to see if it re-surfaces at some point. He may just be waiting till things go quiet or maybe reads some of the post on here...... :)

Edited by BassBunny

[quote name='butlerk02' post='72399' date='Oct 10 2007, 09:13 PM']I emailed him last night asking if it was still for sale saying that i would be happy to pay more etc.

I reckon he's changed his mind and has decided to keep it.[/quote]
Mrs BassBunny has come up with a very plausable explanation.
She reckons that someone I beat in the auction got in touch with the seller and offered more, hence the "fairy story".
Have just mailed him to push him for either pictures or his address so i can call when i am in Leyland.

[quote name='BassBunny' post='72439' date='Oct 10 2007, 10:17 PM']Mrs BassBunny has come up with a very plausable explanation.
She reckons that someone I beat in the auction got in touch with the seller and offered more, hence the "fairy story".
Have just mailed him to push him for either pictures or his address so i can call when i am in Leyland.[/quote]

If he's already left you feedback, I'd say you should neg feedback him, and also report the incident to Ebay. Neither will achieve much, but it's probably the only form of retribution available to you.

[quote name='thedonutman' post='73043' date='Oct 11 2007, 08:18 PM']I'm sure anybody could come up with a far better one. Theft? Fire? Item was listed elsewhere and is therefore no longer for sale?
:)[/quote]

I would've like to have seen the old "spontaneous combustion" excuse used. Either that, or some sort of Roswell/Area 51 connection ...... "oooh ..... the green men took it".

[quote name='BassBunny' post='71459' date='Oct 9 2007, 10:26 AM']Hi Chris,
I had a feeling about it form the word go. Don't know why.....[/quote]

Since you're the auction winner you can do a "request for information" and ebay will provide his address. :)

[quote name='Toasted' post='73091' date='Oct 11 2007, 10:47 PM']Since you're the auction winner you can do a "request for information" and ebay will provide his address. :)[/quote]
Cheers, T,
Might just do that, although if Mrs BB is correct, (and she usually is... :huh: ), I reckon it will have been dispatched to the new owner.
Although I still pretty annoyed, I have taken Beedster's advice to heart and put it down to experience.

[quote name='kevbass' post='72936' date='Oct 11 2007, 04:45 PM']I got the reply from him saying that "the bass was sold at the price it went for", well we know it hasnt because you've not got it, if it didnt sell to you where did it go? methinks he's sold it to someone else who's offered him more or he's keeping it.[/quote]
Kev, Would you mind me mentioning this to eBay if I decide to raise a complaint, or would that drop you in it for offering more than the final auction price?