Why become a member? ×

Cheap MM Sub 5

BassBunny

OK, I'm about to get shot down here....

Re the stuff about ebay. In their defence, what do you really expect them to do? They sell millions of items every day, and I dread to think how many of these are dodgy, broken, never arrive, not as described, the wrong size, smel funny, have a dead rodent in the lining, or are actually OK but the buyer just doesn't want it anymore. It's a bummer 'cos this guy with the SUB has taken the p*ss, but I'm always amazed, given what I see of the human race every day, that Ebay isn't one huge p*ss take. I've bought over 300 items in quite a few years and only had one bad experience.

Ebay make their money I know, but it still works out well for us bassheads also. I wouldn't like to see the day when a change in the law made ebay responsible for chasing all deals gone wrong and the huge rise in fees that would result from their costs. They'd go under in hours.

When I started playing bass the only place I could go to play or buy a new one was the local shop, and you know what that meant! I know Japcrap has a certain status now, but trust me, in the 70's it was just Japcrap!

Rant over

Chris

chris, japcrap was ok in the seventies compared to the somewhere near there crap we get now!

my 1980's ibanez blazer was way cool and a great bass, so was my early seventies satellite pbass...

I think ebay have a moral obligation/responsibility to make sure that the experience they provide is at least safe and pleasant! they certainly take enough money off of the seller when listing, selling and paying...I think it amounts to about 15% therefore if you sell soemthing at £1k well...you know!

They need to do something to encourage good practice and restore confidence in there marketplace....but do agree about local shop and choice.

[quote name='wolper' post='75216' date='Oct 16 2007, 07:13 PM']Get as much as you can from him and then put it all on ebay...[/quote]
So you reckon a "huge pill of ipod socks" will fetch good money on e-Bay???????? :)

Edited by BassBunny

[quote name='Beedster' post='75218' date='Oct 16 2007, 07:18 PM']OK, I'm about to get shot down here....[/quote]
I doubt it chris,
As usual you have summed the situation up and are absolutely correct.
Between Mrs BB and myself, we have completed over 200 e-Bay transactions and this is only 1 of 2 that has been bad. The other was resolved fairly amicably. This one resulted in the long drawn out exchange as the SELLER kept on coming back with more and more lies and was frankly insulting what little intelligence I have. If he had accepted my first e-mail telling him what I thought of him it would have been Game Over.
I do however have to sympathise with some of the comments about e-Bay being happy to take the money and slow to respond when needed. They could have put this one to bed ages ago and the guy has not even had his account withdrawn.....
Finally that is my rantings over.........

Likely to be down in Canterbury a few more times in the future if you fancy a sherbert Chris.
Cheers,
Stuart

• 2 weeks later...

Ummmmm - looks like it's back on ebay. Hard to be sure, but the streaks in the neck wood look identical?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MusicMan-Sub-5-string-bass-USA-made-by-Ernie-Ball_W0QQitemZ330181727828"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MusicMan-Sub-5-strin...emZ330181727828[/url]

Hamster

Edited by Hamster

[quote name='Hamster' post='80913' date='Oct 29 2007, 07:22 PM']Ahhhh - thanks for that then, I won't bother trying to fix my dodgy attempt at an ebay link then :)

Hamster[/quote]

You must admit - the marks do look very very similar. The streaks on the neck and the 3 scratches on the scratchplate made me suspicious.

Original auction

New Item

Hamster

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='80968' date='Oct 29 2007, 07:46 PM']That's true actually, they do look the same, but who knows, that ZPQ dude has even posted in here has he not?

And he posted it for sale here...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=6881&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=6881&hl=[/url][/quote]

Agreeing with me to leave the 'seller' alone!

:)

[quote name='andy67' post='80989' date='Oct 29 2007, 08:15 PM']thats just too spooky.....cant make the link geographically (ebay community ID check)......unless ZPQ is the buyer and is now the seller??

too spooky - those scratches are just awesome![/quote]
Not wishing to pre-judge anyone, it could explain some of the reponses I got from the original seller [u]IF[/u] he and ZPQ are one and the same [u]OR[/u] ZPQ bought it after my successful bid.
Leaves me in a bit of a dillema as I don't reckon e-Bay will do anything but I have been waiting for it to resurface.

[quote name='Hamster' post='80916' date='Oct 29 2007, 06:28 PM']You must admit - the marks do look very very similar. The streaks on the neck and the [b]3 scratches on the scratchplate made me suspicious[/b].

Original auction

New Item

Hamster[/quote]

Even Scooby Doo could see that they are one and the same!

Just to cover my own skinny naked ars*, I'll have to say if they aren't the same then we had better get Scooby Doo in to investigate!

Just so my innocent faith in humanity isn't completely blown out the window, I will assume that ZPQ contacted the seller with a higher offer. Original seller thinks, "hayhey a hundred squid above market value." ZPQ marks-up another hundred and puts it up for sale.

What ever the circumstances, there must be some degree of shadiness going down. :)

Edited by paul, the

[quote name='SJA' post='81048' date='Oct 29 2007, 10:42 PM']was the bass in the pic even his?[/quote]

Ahhh. Could have lifted one of ZPQ's. Although I'm surprised he wouldn't have noticed it or used the very same in the BC listing.

Still, too 'coincidental' that they're up for sale at similar times for me.

Edited by paul, the

[quote name='BassBunny' post='81015' date='Oct 29 2007, 08:52 PM']Not wishing to pre-judge anyone, it could explain some of the reponses I got from the original seller [u]IF[/u] he and ZPQ are one and the same [u]OR[/u] ZPQ bought it after my successful bid.
Leaves me in a bit of a dillema as I don't reckon e-Bay will do anything but I have been waiting for it to resurface.[/quote]

The email addresses aren't the same are they? I guess that would be [b]too[/b] easy. :)
---
Sorry for all the posts

Edited by paul, the

[quote name='paul, the' post='81052' date='Oct 29 2007, 10:49 PM']The email addresses aren't the same are they? I guess that would be [b]too[/b] easy. :)
---
Sorry for all the posts[/quote]
Paul, I haven't been in touch with ZPQ. What I meant was that when I communicated with the original seller, I had a feeling they were aware of this thread, and that leads to a number of conclusions. I am pretty certain that the Bass was sold after the auction for a higher price or someone else is fronting a sale for him. As indicated in the e-mail below.

[i]Hi,
i am sorry for the delay in reply but i am away Birmingham for the week.

My friend has taken the bass of my hands to repair and will be selling on ebay for me when he is done, so i would keep a eye on eBay.

Thanks anyway, bit annoyed as i have had to pay eBay fees for the sale but oh well it happens.

Sam[/i]
No need to apologise for the posts. After the anger of being "shafted" with the sale passed, I have enjoyed all the comments and suggestions put forward. I guess what does now stick in the throat is that I [u]could[/u] have been "shafted" by a felow BC member.