Why become a member? ×

My Life In Bass

alanbass1

Hi Geert,
I purchased my Alembic MK new from the Bass Centre in 2003 and sold the bass to another forum member 'daveski' who is from the UK (lives on the South Coast). I know that daveski sold it on as he since purchased a deluxe version of the MK Signature. I might have the serial number of the bass I sold somewhere at home (I normally keep these for insurance purposes) so if you send me the serial number of your bass I can confirm whether they are one and the same. In the meantime, below are all the photo's I still have of the bass I sold:

Edited by alanbass1

[quote name='thedonutman' post='666508' date='Nov 26 2009, 05:57 PM']Nice!

I see you've never owned a bass that wasn't awesome. :)[/quote]

I wonder what would have happened if I got a nice new shiny rick copy like my friend - he ended up selling and buying all sorts of low/mid price gear!

I checked your pictures and it's the same bass...I recognize the carpet on the pictures I have been send.
It is an amazing Alembic (date refers to 2002), really one of the best basses I have ever owned. I've played other Alembics but this MK signature just is something special, superb looks and playability and the leds are a nice bonus (especially since they can not be seen by the audience).

[quote name='wombatboter' post='673902' date='Dec 4 2009, 08:24 AM']I checked your pictures and it's the same bass...I recognize the carpet on the pictures I have been send.
It is an amazing Alembic (date refers to 2002), really one of the best basses I have ever owned. I've played other Alembics but this MK signature just is something special, superb looks and playability and the leds are a nice bonus (especially since they can not be seen by the audience).[/quote]

Yep, sure is a great bass and why I stated that this was the one bass that I regret moving on.

[quote name='sebpayne' post='676768' date='Dec 7 2009, 02:59 PM']Wow there are some stunners there...but it leads to the question, which is your main player :)

I think my favourites were the StingRay and Rickenbacker![/quote]

Interesting question. My 'go to' basses for recording are the P Bass, Thumb Bass and Stingray, and will be in action in the studio in a couple of weeks.

I'm using the Clover more live (getting to grips with the 5th string), although I do swap around between the Celinder and the Spector and typically take the Thumb bass as my back up. Only played the Ricky and Status at home but they are fun to play...

[quote name='wombatboter' post='662948' date='Nov 23 2009, 05:36 PM']That Alembic looks a lot like the one I just bought a couple of weeks ago...did you sell it to a Belgian bassplayer ?
I'm pretty sure it's the same :-)
Great collection, by the way !

This is mine and I think was yours...

[/quote]
Yeah Alans right i bought this bass off him in the summer '08 and sold it on to the Belgian guy in the November.
It is an amazing bass, that figuring on the Walnut looks incredable in the flesh. I played it non stop and only sold it when i realised the 34 scale was way to much of a stretch for me and as Alan says i replaced it with a MK Deluxe in a 32 scale.
I would never have sold it if it had been a 32.Enjoy it!

@Daveski : thanks for the information ! I have also been playing it non-stop since I bought it (it wasn't that cheap).
The longer scale doesn't bother me too much (I'm a pretty tall person with rather long arms and big hands) and it is one of the best basses I've ever had (more than a 100 the last twenty years). It really brings out good things in me and the bass is absolutely superb. I even pick it up more than my beloved Wal. I'm really glad you sold it :-)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='Stag' post='746846' date='Feb 16 2010, 08:37 AM']What an awesome collection! Just missing a Gibbo... (ahtough I guess they pribably dont fit in with the rest!). I too love that finish on that Spector.[/quote]

You know, I have my eye on a '60's EB3 - takes me back to the '73 Bowie gig that my brother took me to see when Trevor Bolder used one. In fact I was fortunate enough that my brother was well into music and took me to the most memorable gigs that shaped my life:

Gig 1: My Mum and Dad booked a Valentines weekend coach trip to Paris and needed to offload the kids - it was 1970 and I was 9 at the time. My three sisters went to my aunts house and my brother got the short end of the straw and I was sent up to stay with him. He was at Leeds University at the time and had a room in a large 5 bedroom house with the living room and back rooms making bedrooms 6 and 7! Also in the house was Peter Hart who I think was one of the people on the entertainments committee that booked the bands. I remember everyone in the house going to help unload the equipment for the gig, which happened to be the The Who

Gig 2: David Bowie at Hammersmith in 1973. My brother and his friend bought tickets to the Earls Court show which was cancelled. His friend couldn't make the new date so.....I remember this better as I was 13 by then

Gig 3: Bob Marley at the Lyceum in '75. This was the gig that made me want to play bass. I found a band at school looking for a bass player, my dad got me the precision and I've never looked back

Edited by alanbass1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...