Why become a member? ×

Ever been dragged to a gig...

Bigwan

Many years ago, I went to see It Bites play at my old poly. They were supported by a band I'd never heard of called 'The Cardiacs'. I was blown away, truly blown away. So tight, so musically complex, so much energy, It Bites were pretty tasty too. Not everyone's cup of tea, but it was a gig I'll never forget.

Niall

My girlfriend was taking her daughter to see Pink the other week, until her daughter fell ill on the day, so I was drafted in as a replacement (and had to leave a radio session in hurry, to the echoing sound of having the mickey taken by my band). It was one hell of a show... brilliant choreography, acrobats and all kinds of high wire/trapeze-type madness, and an awesome band (including ex Mars Volta bassist Eva Gardner). Pink herself was absolutely fantastic, I hadn't realised just how good a singer she was. I knew the show would be high caliber, but I was blown away on all fronts!

On the other hand.... I brought tickets us all to see the Funk Brothers at the Festival Hall in 2000. My kids moaned all the way there. They didn't want to see a bunch of "old men" playing "old songs"!! By the middle of the first number they were on their feet dancing, we all were. What a great night.

[quote name='M4L666' post='651761' date='Nov 11 2009, 04:44 PM']Well, my synth player took me to see Sonic Boom Six. I didn't dislike them per se, they just aren't really my thing. I was blown away by them, and all three support acts, Difference Engine, Random Hand and The Skints. They were well good, and bloody energetic too :rolleyes:[/quote]

I like Sonic Boom Six a lot.

The Skints' debut album came out this week BTW, mine's stuck in the post I think. :)

A mate of mine who was in the army in Germany returned home on a weekend pass and suggested we go to see Motorhead at Guildford Civic. He was very much into Venom and all that hairspray metal bollocks. Not my usual cuppa, but why not? I was more yer whimsical acoustic type then, and thought it would be a bit... uncouth. However, I did enjoy a drink at the time, he had the tickets and had offered to drive.

But bugger I down dead, they were superb. Deafening (in a good way), F U attitude, debauched, fantastic. And Lem just radiates cool. Seen them again since, and would do again.

\m/

Edited by bassninja

Dragged to a McFly gig a few years ago at the MEN, was expecting pop junk (went with the girlfriend at the time) and lots of girls screaming.

There were indeed lots and lots of girls screaming their heads off, but the band were remarkably tight and put on a good show, so I ended up enjoying it!